Skip to content

Goalkeeper dilemma

13»

Comments

• Personally I think Max has suffered from the lack of a consistent central defence pairing/tripling in front of him.

He seemed to be pretty good at commanding his area last season but seems to have lost a fair bit of confidence in that respect this year.

His distribution has remained at a constant ‘not great’ level but I’m in the ‘as long as he can kick it into the opposition half (preferably in play) that will do’ camp.

He should start (in my view) tonight. Rav is here to learn and step up as necessary, which he seems to have done reasonably well but I doubt he’d expect to start if Max is fit and available.

• Does this mean you accept (approve of?) that MB will be our manager going forward into next season?

(On the basis that Max probably the right fit for the way MB wants to play)

• Wayne Wanklyn YTYCMIU.

Midfielder, nothing special, mid eighties??

Also played for Aldershot and Reading, I think.

• Barring illness or injury it looks odds on that Mad Max will be between the sticks this evening. And we’ll probably marvel at how well he has been working on his distribution whilst suspended.

• I think he started to turn things around just in the nick of time, so yes.

(Do you mean 'Max probably *isn't* the right fit'?)

• I love the idea that Rava is the perfect goalie for the style of play everyone thinks MB wants while agreeing we don't have the players to execute it.

I'm not sure he has necessarily had to face the better teams in the league as yet but I'll be happy if it's him or Max to be honest.

Goalie is the cruellest position.

• You are a manager. You sit down with "Mad Max" Stryjek and Franco "Fun Guy" Ravizzoli to tell one of them they will be the goalie, and the other they are going to be #2. Max is sitting impassively with his sturdy dog, while Franco is smiling and already saying he understands whatever the outcome is.

Max will be starting tonight.

• And the coolest. Both Camus and Nabokov played in goal. Nabokov wrote

As with folded arms I leant against the left goalpost, I enjoyed the luxury of closing my eyes, and thus I would listen to my heart knocking and feel the blind drizzle on my face, and hear in the distance the broken sounds of the game, and think of myself as of a fabulous exotic being in an English footballer’s disguise 

A bit like Max when you think about it.

• Rav gets the nod.

• I see we are no longer debating this. I suppose those in the Max camp might grudgingly accept that Rav did his job?

• He did fine, though with three Wigan shots on target, there was not much we have not seen from Max as recently as Bradford.

• As it stands after tonight's performance it is Ravazolli's shirt to lose

• edited March 12

It felt like more than three! If you'd said 6 or 7 I'd have believed it.

• I think he did well - I just think we are lucky enough to have confirmed we have two L1 standard goalies, and Blooms is going to have an awful decision to make come the summer, potentially!

• Rav was great wasn’t he? Really pleased for him. Not sure who that moron was who told us Max would definitely start.

• John Cheesewright I think it was, absolute classic name!

Mind you, I remember QPR turning up with Shittu and Doodoo in their team, beat that!!

• I'm a massive max fan. Kicking aside I rate him extremely highly as a keeper. In my opinion he's a fantastic option for any league 1 club.... and I believe he could play at championship level too to be honest. ...

However... Ravs has played extremely well in the last 2 matches and taken his chance. I don't bemoan blooms starting him today ahead of max.

It's good to have competition.

Max has not always been at his best this season and I think its good for him to see his place as number 1 isn't set in stone

• I think I may have posted a few weeks ago after the Barnsley game that Rav wasn't up to it.

Looks a bad call in hindsight.

• Well done Rav and Blooms.. Matt took a brave decision and Rav repaid him with a clean sheet.

• Which one is the better shot stopper? He can come on in the second half when we decide to stop attacking.