Skip to content

Goalkeeper dilemma

With Max now finished serving his three match ban, who gets the nod tonight from Bloomfield. Rav has done well , as replacement and for me deserves to stay in. Good to have two strong goalkeepers to choose from.

Comments

• I think it should be Rav. Max is good but knowing he can walk back into team might lead to complacency. Having two good keepers with different strengths will help us going forward. I there should be a pecking order but right now Rav has played well enough to keep his place.

• If Max had been in red-hot form before his suspension then fine, but he wasn't, and the situation has created an opportunity which Rav has seized with both hands.

• Agree on Rav. His shot-stopping was excellent on Saturday, and his distribution when kicking out is better than Max's.

• Stryjek 100%

• Time for Max to learn that it's dog eat dog out there.

• Rav 100%. Max needs to fight for his place back.

• Two good keepers, I look forward to the hysteria whichever one MB picks if we lose.

'It should have been X. That's on Bloomfield!!!'

• Rav is markedly better with his feet too, which is just what Bloomball needs.

• Not even a question. One is a good League One goalkeeper who has been brilliant for us, and the other has played six Football League matches in his career.

• Max was brilliant last season - he's been alright this season. He's not produced the consistently high levels needed to make his position absolutely secure. We have an in-form goalkeeper with superior distro - he has to keep his place.

• I would keep Rav, he has not let us down and his distribution is much better than Max.

Max is a great shot stopper and will get his chance again but right now it would be hard on Rav to leave him out.

• People are saying how strong our goalkeeping is. I completely disagree. Ravazolli’s kicking has highlighted just how bad Max is in that area. It is a huge problem. I really think strengthening in the goalkeeping position in the summer is a massive priority.

Looking forward to the thumbs down!

• Blooms wants to play progressive football, doesn't he? That's not going to happen with Max in goal. It might happen with Rav in goal - and if it doesn't, that's an area we address in the summer.

• Aside from Ravizzolli's contributions during the game, our win on Saturday gives us the breathing space to give him an extra chance.

Re: Max's distribution, it was a relative shortcoming that jarred for fans spoiled by how good the predecessor was at launching counters with highly perceptive passing. He's still a very good keeper at this level, if he were to stay on I wouldn't argue.

• Max's distribution isn't just bad compared to Stocko's - it's objectively bad. But we could get away with that to a greater extent in a less progressive system that was often dependent on winning second balls. He's a good L1 'keeper but not the ideal fit for Blooms' system.

• I may be a dinosaur here but a GK primary job is to stop the opposition scoring goals. “Distribution” may be important at Premier League level where players have skills to retain ball and play it out from the back but as the Peterborough keeper discovered doesn’t work at lower levels. Save shots and catch crosses and then hoof it into opponents half works fine for me.

• I think Max will get the nod ahead of the Rav. I come to this conclusion because Matt Bloomfield stuck by him during his blip in form when he made a series of mistakes around the Nov-Dec period when he had more justification to drop him and give Rav a chance to take over.

As a fan, I think Rav has put a really strong case to be considered as a No.1 keeper and has done nothing short of a great job when he has been called upon and has deserved in every right to be included in this conversation.

• Whilst this is more than worthy of evaluation and discussion, I do think Stryjek is deservedly back in the team today.

• edited March 12

If Rav gets dropped, then we're effectively saying you have no place here as we'll also go back to Max whenever he's available.

Rav's done everything that could be expected and fully deserves to keep his place until that changes.

It was Max's error that opened the door for Rav, now the boot is on the other foot.

• And if we don’t play Max it effectively means he’ll be off at the end of the season.

• edited March 12

Quite possibly. Being a goalkeeper can be brutal, but that's football.

• Max is our number one keeper, so he’ll start.

• So was Ryan Allsopp in our Championship season, until he wasn't.

• We've got two good goalkeepers, one of whom is currently performing better than the other has been for most of the season. Small sample size admittedly, but he looks like a better system fit and I think that sways it. We're as good as safe now, not like it's a big risk.

• Allsop is the perfect comparison to Max isn’t he? A perfectly capable goalkeeper who for no apparent reason finds himself the current Gasroom scapegoat.

But Rav is no Stockdale.

• Why? Rav currently has the jersey and put in a MOTM performance in his last game?

• he has indeed done everything that is expected of him. But no more than that. No one was expecting him to perform to the same (shot stopping) levels as Max. He had a poor game against Barnsley. You need your goalkeeper to perform better than he did that day.

• What makes you describe them both as “good”?

Being brutally honest, I’d describe them both as “no more than average.”

Average absolutely fine by the way if you want mid-table football.