Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Barnsley

Comments

• Niggly side Barnsley who do seem to like going to ground. That game was there to get something out of. Shame and so unlike Wheels who, no excuse, did looked to be provoked.

• To be fair I though for much of the game we were pretty well matched with them, but we let them get under our skin and we rose to the bait and got an unecessary number of cards.

i thought Franco had a decent game, his distribution is definitely better than Max's but he is not as good a shot stopper, though I dont feel any of the goals were his fault.

• Second and fourth he could have done better, but the result was decided by the red card.

With 11 v 11 I thought we looked very possible to take a point from what I thought were a good Barnsley team.

The learned quickly that the ref would give a foul every time they fell over and took full advantage.

• Franco certainly has good distribution but the presence of Brian Parkin when a ball comes into the box. Max will be sleeping easy and Blooms will have no fear of a dog mauling.

• The irony of course is you making such a rash comment after watching his rash moment

• He wasn't at fault for the goals was he? I don't think we lost because of our keeper.

• It cost us the game, needless.

Ahh well live and learn,as it happens I thought Barnsley were a pretty good side, but felt 11 v 11 we still had a very good chance

• Old story. Came for nothing. Defence has so much more to do. Defensive chaos ensues.

• It cost us a chance of a comeback. We were already losing.

• First 30 mins we were the better side. I thought Cosgrove should have been sent off before their first goal.

I felt we gave a few goals away cheaply but we live and learn and go onto the next game.

Finally, the referee and linesmen were pretty poor today.

Onto Reading - COYB!!!!!

• I think @Shev may have smashed his laptop.

• Ref was a complete twat.

• Sorry mate! Missed this one too with extended family in town. Putting the MOTM up shortly!

• Alos Franco is nowhere near good enough for a Lg 1 keeper

• Aside from that, only Stevenage have been a more cynical cheaty side than they were today. Very entertaining match though, and thought we still looked good down to ten until we tired at the end.

• Barnsley's no. 8 is as good a player as I've seen at our level for a long time. Absolutely ran the game second half

• No surprise they are near the top, a good niggly side who made the most of their moments.

There was a graph flying around this week that we've got the best xG the last few months. You saw that today, and why we're where we are. Plenty of chances with poor final balls and no-one really there to finish things.

Nothing to lose much sleep about today, regroup and beat Reading.

• I thought there was a lot to admire about our performance today, despite the result. Barnsley are a very good side. We put them under some pressure, even with 10. I feel for Wheels. He clearly felt the challenge on him was dangerous and completely unnecessary, given that it was off the pitch. But you can’t retaliate like that.

• Ultimately frustrating of course but @railwaysteve and I had a few moments of excitement in the second half when the prospect of our unlikely scoreline prediction (3-2) looked a possibility !!

• Thought Barnsley were a decent side and had an edge to them. We were competitive in the first part of the game but Wheeler’s moment of madness killed any hope of comeback..

• He did indeed. Herbie Kane. £1.5m signing, apparently.

Corey O’Keeffe (no.22), who provoked David Wheeler’s red mist moment, was with Forest Green Rovers last season.

• Wheels will be kicking himself after that sending off still we were better than them in the first half and I hope there’s some karma along the way for that play acting ****

• Wheels coming off has never been so literal.

Over on Facebook we are papering over the cracks.....and the cracks are widening!!!

• Lots to enjoy about today. We gave Barnsley a good game...I know they beat us but I suspect we will be playing them next season somehow.

Really sad we could not hold on to our deserved leads but it was good to see us still going for it until the end. Wheels was the perfect sub to give us some fresh attacking impetus so the sending off was doubly depressing.

I thought Rava was good...the defence inviting their players into our box was not.

Good game bad result.

• I don't hold any candle for Ravizzoli but the only goal I thought he could've done better, and Max might have, was their third where he should've claimed it rather than watching Josh fail to deal with it on the line a metre away from him.

Against that, his vastly superior distribution meant we were holding onto balls in the middle of the pitch far more often and utilising our wingers better as a result.

Will he be first choice for the rest of the season? Probably not. Who knows, we might even see Sheppard next match. But I think Matt knows that to play the system he wants to effectively means that he needs a goalkeeper with better distribution. I would be very surprised to see Stryjek as first choice keeper come August.

• On the positive side, I thought the first half was as good as we've played this season and but for some poor finishing we could have been three up by the time we gave away that silly free kick. Less said about the second half the better

If Pompey and Bolton take the automatic promotion slots, it's likely to be the most dislikeable set of play off clubs imaginable. Just hope Blackpool can sneak in.

• For a while today I thought I'd missed something in the news about Gaz being the new Barnsley manager, they certainly played like they'd been tutored in his dark arts.

• Great to see the fight after going 3-2 down. Wheeler you silly, silly boy (I did shout bell end at the time sorry)

• Herbie Kane.. I believe Barnsley paid over a million pounds for him in 2020. What a player, really admired his performance. He was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch. This is what we are competing against…and it’s not easy.