Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Peterborough

Comments

• KVY's Cruyff turn really was filthy. More of that please.

• Taylor also had a touch of the Curtis Thompson about him, coming out of a scrimmage of tackles with the ball. A delight to see.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited February 11

I don’t think they have recovered yet from those two goals in 8 seconds without having touched the ball a single time in between. It is one of my favourite Wycombe records and we couldn’t have done it without them (although strictly speaking we did do it without them, but we did need them to at least stand there, which to their credit they did).

• Yesterday was also the first time I think I’ve ever seen GMac make a slide tackle (and a very good one at that).

Not necessarily a criticism since you could quite reasonably argue it’s not generally his job to do that kind of thing - just that it was good to see GA-style principles of everyone having to muck in with defending being retained.

• GMac is a class act on and off the field, I’m so glad he is our player.

• I've criticised the players and management plenty this season (justifiably so I'd argue) so only fair to dish out praise after yesterday.

KVY / Taylor both had their best games in a Wycombe shirt by a distance, GMac and Sadlier real threats on the wing, Low imperious. Grimmer's leadership was a real miss after going off and he's really stepped up with goals in back to back games. Butcher quietly effective in the middle and Lubala with an impressive cameo too. Lots to be positive about.

Couhig's have really backed Bloomfield in the window so I think they should also take some credit after much criticism lately. Squad seems to have real depth to it now. Being able to bring on Vokes, Wheeler and Leahy is crazy at this level.

Shame to see Forino and Earley both in protective boots in the stand, that and the low home crowd of under 4k the only negatives on a great day

• When the Al-Hamadi sell-on money came in, the Couhigs really had to back their words of support for Bloomfield up with using some of it to bring in players who fit into how Bloomfield wants to play. With hindsight mistakes were made in the summer recruitment, the activity in this window will hopefully have gone some way to rectifying the situation.

Definitely credit is due for not just sitting on their hands, though really it's a no-brainer from a medium to long term financial perspective, nevermind from a football point of view, to use available funds to avert relegation.

• Yep, I'll hold my hand up as someone who didn't think that Bloomfield had the experience to turn things around. I glad to say I was wrong and credit Matt and his team for being willing to accept we didn't have the player to play how he wanted.

Don't have enough insight to know if we made the wrong signings in the summer, although the departure of Breckin, Keogh, Boyes and Phillips suggests they don't work.

I'm liking the look of Kone, Butcher & Lubala all seem to add something we've lacked.

It's really refreshing to be able to think back to yesterday with a smile 😊.

It helps that it's Peterborough. Can we have the same next week against Poxford please?

• edited February 11

My position of 'Back Bloomfield unless Ainsworth wants his job back' put me in the odd position of wanting Bloomfield both IN and OUT at the same time. A kind of 'Schrodinger's Bloomfield' where his status can only be discovered by opening a box with a league table inside it.

• I got off the fence to say Blooms should go. Now one swallow doesn’t make a summer but we have looked a different club in the last few games. Long may it last and here’s hoping for a performance, doesn’t have to be a win but a good shift with heart and passion, against Oxford.

• Oops forgot Bolton. As above, two decent performances please!

• i don’t think players being in protective boots is a problem. Players are put in protective boots for bruises these days. It would be good to hear an update on their injuries though.

• On that subject, is there any news regarding Scowen’s injury?

• I think all most people needed was a few signs that there was some method in the madness. But 3 great wins will definitely win hearts and minds. You really get the feeling that some pennies have dropped, and the squad are buying in to it. I can see a few stay away fans returning in the next few months if the progress continues. Onward.

• We have a lot of very good players under contract for next season too. If we stay up, I expect us to look more settled.

• Do we know who is contracted for next season?

• edited February 11

Based on when they signed (or news of re-signing) I think we must have:

Low

KVY

Scowen

Butcher

Leahy

Sadlier

Lubala

Kone

...at the very least? I would expect to see most of Grimmer, Taffs, Forino, McCarthy, GMac, Stryjek, Wheeler and Vokes to at least get offered a new deal too, if they are not already signed up.

• I can't see Taff being offered a new deal with his injury record

• He’s been fit for pretty much all of this season hasn’t he?

He was ill for the Cheltenham game and seemingly left out of the 18 for a few weeks In December (wrongly) but largely he’s been available for selection.

Why would you release a player capable of playing at the standards he has over the last few weeks at the age of 32?

• edited February 11

Because we know what his injury record is like overall, and I'm not sure we'll have a massive budget to work with. I think the money could be put to better use.

• seemingly left out of the 18 for a few weeks In December (wrongly)

Absolutely nailed on that he had an injury.

• Fair enough. Don’t agree at all though.

His records actually not that awful, 24 appearances already this season with a third of the season left, 26 last season and 38 the season before.

He’s been one of the big beneficiaries of getting rid of three at the back, as he always looked horribly uncomfortable on the left side and alongside Keogh left us horribly short of pace.

In a back four though, with Low or Forino he’s a class act still.

• Happy to bow to you knowledge if you know for definite he was injured. It just seemed to me that Matt chose to have Keogh on the bench and leave Taff out - which I’m not knocking as one centre half out of 6 on pitch subs is usually enough (although I’d have gone for Taff over Keogh).

It coincided with the reports of him being cited leaving the ground before kick-off, which did rather suggest he hadn’t made the cut.

But either way his fitness record has been pretty good so far this season.

• edited February 11

It’s no surprise our improved performances have coincided with having Tafazolli back in the team. I’d definitely keep him signed on if available on sensible wages

• Our poor form coincided with Taf stopping his YouTube channel. Guessing this was the club’s decision?? I must confess that I miss his videos.

• Coincided, perhaps. But by no means the main reason. Personnel and positional changes have been the key factors.

• Couple of comments.

Taylor and Koné ratings could justifiably be reversed.

Concern about Jack Grimmer possibly being injured or (fingers crossed) having one of the seasonal bugs that are going round seems to be reflected in his rating.

Love the rating for star man Clarke-Harris.