Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Peterborough

Comments

• Real chaos. To beat a promotion chasing team like that is nuts. Thought we were good, with a few sketchy periods, but 5-2 is baffling. I've seen us play better and get beat. What a sport

• It was 15 April 1997. Gate was 5786. Division 2 (= League 1, I assume).

• Can remember 5-3 v Reading, 5-0 v Burnley, the Cheltenham 5-5.

Northampton 5-0 away maybe with Stu Roberts hatrick.

Bound to have forgotten a couple.

Vaguely recall a midweeker where we may have scored 5 v A Wrexham or someone too?

• Did we win in the cup once scoring 5? Kashket or Gape bagging loads?

• That was the best match I've watched in years. Combining the high-press, tenacity and team-work of Ainsworth's sides with sexy football and a formation that utilises width and crosses that Matt has added. With 10 round pegs in 11 round holes (and KVY providing a moment of magic that justifies his inclusion out of position) we're now showing that we can beat anyone - and score a shed-load of goals in the process. Delighted I remained a Matt-in throughout all the recent madness.

One gloomy note - was Grimmer taken off because of injury? He's been a revelation since becoming captain. I said straight after Scowen got sent off that Grimmer would prove a much more natural captain and should retain the armband on Scowen's return. I think the last few weeks has hopefully now meant that will happen.

• 5-0 at Chesterfield in FA Cup, Dec 2016, Hayes, Kashket (3), Stewart. The peak of the Bayo-Kashket partnership.

• I fear that Grimmer may have taken a knock. I hope not because he has been sensational at times, not least (critically) on the stroke of half time today.

• I'd actually forgotten we can add Scowen back into that team. Excellent.

Without being flashy, Butcher has certainly added nouse to the midfield alongside Potts.

Individually and collectively we are much more aggressive. I'm certain the change in formation has made the difference along we adding more competition. Players have had to up their game to keep the shirt.

Enjoy your day off tomorrow Matt, you and the team have earned it.

• Wasn't this the moment that we realised we actually had something with Kashket? Had he scored for us before this?

• What a win. Absolutely brilliant. So pleased. Potts, low, mccleary and butcher were fantastic.

• Pretty sure he started off scoring a few in the LDV or whatever the name was then.

• More games like that please. Taylor and Sadlier were excellent today...Kone needs to be more clinical and should have had two. Vokes and Wheels coming on was great. The new signings all look decent to me. Turning the corner whilst papering over the cracks in the elephant in the room.

• Poor bloke, he had an absolute nightmare and was the first down the tunnel at the end even though he had the furthest to go. It makes you wonder how bad a 'keeper must perform or how shattered his confidence must be before a manager puts him out of his misery and uses the substitute 'keeper. Regardless, it was nice to leave the ground amongst smiling faces...it's been a long time coming.

• A very quick check indicates that we've scored five in the Football League 11 times, including today. We've never scored six.

• 3 wins in a row which means Bloomfield is IN

• Brilliant game today and Dale Taylor was really excellent. Add to the mix Low, Potts, Butcher and the amazing Sadlier and we are starting to look a strong side.

KVY followed up his excellent display at Cheltenham with another good game in the quarters.

• 1996 v Bradford 5-2

1997 v Burnley 5-0

1998 v Plymouth 5-1

1999 v Reading 5-3

2001 v Wrexham 5-2

2001 v Brentford 5-3

2003 v Northampton 5-0

2012 v Hartlepool 5-0

2016 v Crewe 5-1

2022 v Cheltenham 5-5

2024 v Peterborough 5-2

• Well, that has to be the worst ever performance from a visiting keeper I have ever witnessed. Let's be honest, he was absolutely shite with the ball at his feet. Dale Taylor has been a revelation since we have changed to a 4-4-2. Butcher as many of our Plymouth friends alluded to, was outstanding, didn't do anything flashy just broke up their fancy dan play and gave it to someone else to do the glory stuff.

Posh fans must be wondering WTF is going on right now, losing three on the bounce and scoring for OG's. Alan Swann must be spitting feathers over who to blame now. 😂

• I haven’t been on twitter in months, but I’m making an exception tonight.

• It would be great if Peterborough missed the play offs, even if it guarantees Stevenage and the PNLs making it.

• We were excellent today with the high press KVY was excellent with sadlier on the left , .their right winger was a bag of tricks, but most of the time he handled him well . Butcher and Potts worked their socks off and Taylor had his best game for us I could go on. Happy days

• Slightly weird game. For a possession-based team (which they appear to be) I couldn’t believe the amount of misplaced passes under little pressure they made. I said after about 15 minutes we just need to give them the ball near their penalty area and wait for them to create a chance for us. Probably for the first time in 30 years I actually predicted something right.

But. Beyond how bad they were I thought that was easily Taylor’s best game for us. Honourable mentions for Low (back to early season form), Butcher, Potts and Sadlier (I really like what he brings to the team). Credit to everyone else though as it was a good performance.

I share others concerns about Max’s confidence. He definitely isn’t as commanding as he was last year. And much as I like Taff I worry about his communication. 3 times in the first 10 minutes we nearly gave it away at the back

• Fantastic result! Brilliant first 60. A little wobble and then we regained our composure and closed the game out superbly.

Low was supreme today, and as others have said Taylor was excellent.

Defensively we get opened up with balls played behind one of the two centre mids and in between the centre back and full back. The reason is the centre mids do not track the runner and centre back doesn’t step in. Both players just point to the player and the space but no one deals with it. Scowen is very good at dealing with this type of run.

Two league wins on the bounce, three wins and one defeat in eight in the league. Let’s keep it going Tuesday night at Bolton. They had a man sent off, so played an hour with ten men, so hopefully this will be good for us.

Really looking forward to driving up to Bolton next week! COYB!

• The press worked a treat.

Their keeper had a nightmare.

Great confidence boost for the next game.

• Still don’t understand taking goal kicks short with 2 players either side.

Posh were the worst example of it, the amount of times they were straight under pressure and ended up conceding a throw.

• Good work

5-2 v Wrexham, I remember that, glorious scenes, definitely the first home game of the season, potentially the first game at all?

I think it was the 5-2 v Bradford I was remembering, as being a midweeker, though hadn't remembered who.

I'd been staying with family with family friends in Wales, and woke up to savour that on teletext the next morning, brilliant!

• It stretches the pitch - they're probably just not good enough to execute it

• Absolutely superb today. Barring a 10-15 minute spell where we sat off Peterborough (and I feared the worst at 3-2...), brilliant all over. Kone led the line brilliantly, Dale Taylor was great and Sadlier superb.

• Oh and a big thank you to their goalkeeper. One of the worst all round keeping displays I've seen at AP.