Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Cheltenham

123457»

Comments

• I was talking about McIntyre and Abbey, both Academy products who had been at Reading for over 20 years between them.

• Decent performances all round and a big relief to get that win. The table certainly looks a lot nicer than it did 24 hrs ago.

Not totally convincing, especially for the first 20 mins. We struggled to clear the direct balls and continue to be really poor on the loose balls that come from that. Cheltenham fluffed a good chance and it could have been very different had that gone in.

Our forwards really stepped up I thought. Vokes led the line brilliantly, deservedly winning the pen, and GMac's goal was absolutely superb. To go front to back so quickly and execute the whole move perfectly was exceptional.

We still sat too deep second half. I might have been tempted to go 442 by taking off Taylor and putting Kone on closer to Vokes. Taylor had a good game but we needed someone more mobile in attack to press their keeper and stop him dropping balls onto the edge of our box.

• In the context of the horrid run of form we are in the performance had some swagger at times, which was surprising. I do think the anchor of Butcher in the centre gave Potts more space to do his own thing and that will always help.

Set pieces need work. The left footed inswinger was indefensible, magnificent. Everything from the other side was a car wreck. And our defending from set pieces again seems a big weakness.

Taylor was a massive plus yesterday. Defended from the front and this is something we’ve missed.

Big couple of weeks coming up. Let’s make this trajectory upwards for a while.

• I wasn't able to go yesterday, though the fact that there are only 183 comments so far in this thread is a good sign that there was relatively little to complain about. Three points against a team mired in the relegation zone hopefully will take the pressure off a bit for a run of games against team who, on paper, should comfortably see us off.

• Why no extended highlights on Wanderers TV this week?

• I was just about to say this - it's so striking on here that when we win it's a quiet message board; when we lose it's a constant stream of messages. Not sure if that's becuase we all struggle to say as many positive things as negative, or whether it's becuase a few people with a more pessimistic outlook are more likely to post multiple times.

I thought we were mostly workmanlike yesterday, with a couple of bits of quality when it mattered. I've seen us play better and not win this season, but I'm really pleased we found a way to get three points.

• I think the players deserve to pootle around the bistros of Marlow this afternoon

• edited February 4

Internet forums aren't the best place to be positive about things as the conversation tends to be "I like ......" followed by some "Me too"s

But negativity can spawn arguments and discussion about the possible causes of the bad things and this generates page after page of venting. As long as people remember that football is the 'most important of the unimportant things' and don't start threatening to sue then it's all good.

#Metoo

• Venting...cheeky

• When we win the one note dimwits don't bother so no-one has to argue with them. No-one demands @glasshalffull finds something positive about that performance and then argues with him about it.

We all say well done gentleman when we see them at the Tesco Cash Point and shake hands in a civilised manner.

• edited February 8