Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Fleetwood

1121314151618»

Comments

• I admire your optimism, but we couldn't beat the worse team in the league yesterday who played over half the game with 10 men.

If I were to put a bet on today, I'd say we're going down, and it's now got to the pont that it's as much Couhigs fault as Matt's

• That last 15 minutes was crying out for JJ to come on. Leahy was shocking yesterday, at fault for both goals (albeit second goal was arguably a foul) and after his penalty miss was clearly down on confidence.

I don't think JJ would have wasted 80% of the crosses / free kicks / long balls into the box that Leahy did. In my mind, there is no way he would have not got back in front of the striker for the first goal and been manhandled for the second because he would have been attacking the ball rather than waiting for it to come to him.

I find it strange that MB doesn't want to bring him on to close games out or even start him. He is by far and away our best attacking threat from set pieces and is also out best reader of danger at the back.

I still believe that MB can turn this around with a few additions before the window closes. Equally, I'd now have no qualms if the Couhigs decide for a change in direction if they feel he can no longer do that.

In some respects, I think we will find the top 10 teams easier to play against as we don;t have to force the running. Three points at Cheltenham next week would be a welcome respite for everyone.

• Tbh. From my distant view in the F A I was waiting for a red, probably a good job. I’m not a referee then

• It sounds pretty dreadful in that stat. But when you pro rata that out to a full season and it'd be 3 wins it's truly incredible.

• It's already an uncomfortable position having a long serving ex player struggling.

But you wonder if/when we do press the exit button what it means for his future management career.

It felt a slightly random move by Col Utd to take a coach from us as their manager anyway. But after this experience, will he get another league club?

• Only guessing, but perhaps a better fit for his talents is looking after development/use teams?

long-term that may be his career path.

• Possibly. Very competitive market out there though, and it'd have to be a club that fitted in with his location.

Anyway, he's still here and we go again v Cheltenham! One big win, as in importance, not amount of goals and move away from the zone is the only thing that matters over the next week in football

• Why does he deserve a managerial career? You can be a nice guy and not good at a job. He might not be cut out for management. We seem to be assuming that he will come good, maybe next game, maybe next month, maybe next season. Why? He might be as inept as I would be at managing.

• I'm musing on what his management career may look like. Of course if he failed here, it could in effect be over. Unlike the usual suspects higher up the leagues he may well not keep getting chances.

We've said it with Ainsworth. Some time out is sensible, but don't take too long, or you can quickly be forgotten about.

• Ainsworth will be limited to the kind of club that would suit his personality but he does have a track record of success. As it stands Bloomfield had a short spell at Col U with modest success, his spell at Wycombe has yet to be cast in stone but if it ended tomorrow his CV will need some embellishing if he wants to get a head coach role.

Ainsworth had a terrible early career with Wycombe but was blessed with Dobbo, but work to do in the squad. He grew from there and the rest is history. Maybe there’s an upward curve on its way, but this is his squad and there can be no complaints from him if it ends now.

• I'll lay you 6/1 (about 14% chance) Wycombe get relegated if you want it?

• Looking at oddschecker, many bookies are giving 8/1 for that bet.

For comparison, Fleetwood are 1/14, Carlisle 1/12, Cheltenham 10/11, and Reading 4/6.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub worth noting GA did not stay and grow because the fans were behind him and wanted him to stay post Torquay

• edited January 28

I think 14/15 is up there with my favourite seasons. After the absolute misery of watching Kuffour, Dean Morgan sulking etc and almost dropping out of the EFL, to suddenly go into the next season and have Jacobson, Jombati, Hayes, Mawson (and later Saunders and Yennaris) was simply an amazing turnaround and an absolute pleasure to experience.

• I've blocked you @Blueword but I assume a short hypocritical post about how much you admired and supported GA...which you never did when he was here.

• what a delicate flower you are. GA was 10 x the manager that Blooms is and likely to.ever be.

• I’ve never yet blocked anyone on here (it’s just fascinating how some people think* I find).

But yes. Spot on.

Cant wait until MB turns it around and we can see their posts about how they’ve always thought he was a great manager, etc. (Not that they’d ever know of course because they no longer watch us under MB).

*Despite the lack of evidence I’m assuming there is some kind of brain activity that occurs before they post

• I wonder if 17,100 views is a record for a matchday thread on the Gasroom.

I thought at first that was the number of posts - it felt like it - but I assume it’s views.

• So, back to the game. I thought that the guy who got sent off is exactly what we need. Ran the show up till his moment of madness. The midfield enforcer we are crying out for.

Seconfly, did anyone notice the change in style of play in the second half? Went from the back line direct to Vokes, he won the majority of headers, flicked on to Kone. Almost like the good old days of GA. JJ to Bayo and his flicks to Kashket/Samuel. It bypassed the slow build up through the midfield and was the most effective I have seen us this season. Maybe it is the way forward by going backwards as it were. A bit of swallowed pride, other teams hate playing against this and we may return to the post match barrage of “wouldn’t want to watch that every week”, but who cares if it’s effective. Not watched Stevenage much, but it appears to work for them?

• Promise Omochere was the player who was sent off. He's a forward, not a midfield enforcer!