Skip to content

Berks & Bucks Senior Cup 2023-24

Comments

• Oh and “integrity and respect for the competition”? One club now has a bye instead!

• I echo the comments stating the withdrawal is disrespectful to the B&B FA and its constituent clubs. It may be a hassle and a financial cost to WWFC to play these matches, but it puts meaningful revenue into local football and takes the Wycombe 'brand' (as our American friends like to see it) into parts of the locality it rarely reaches.

In treating the club solely as a balance sheet entity the Couhigs are really missing what makes lower league football special: that involvement with the community and our reciprocal, often intangible, involvement and sense of ownership that goes so much deeper into the psyche than simply being paying customers.

However, I suspect the owner-club relationship is more distant now, much more financially-focused and absorbed with an exit strategy. While the B&B decision is small beer in itself, I'm wondering if it's just another sign that the Couhigs are cutting back the financing even further. Will we see more player outgoings over the next week and no more incoming?

I've been following Wycombe now since the early 1990s and I've rarely been so underwhelmed by a campaign. This is just another of those small calls that add up over a season making it ever harder to get enthused by the current Adams Park regime.

• I hadn’t clocked there were two more international dates coming. The EFL really have to change their approach to this games next season.

As an aside, I don’t think we’ve ever ‘had a B team.’ We’ve signed young players from non league, those kids have been our Pizza Cup players until we got knocked out and then gone on loan for more game time or stuck around if they had a chance of player here. I’m not sure anything drastic has changed this season.

There’s a very good interview with Sam Grace on an old RTBs that clears up a lot of these questions.

• Some of the most entertaining intimate games have been watching B&B matches up close and personal. Gaz playing centre back, fitness coach getting on the scoresheet (almost), Junior missing a penalty shoot out to maintain his no goal striker status, Matt Spring scoring a worldy from the half way line, observing the progress of fringe players, cheap beer in gritty club houses, crappy pitches and dim floodlights - proper footie. As mentioned it keeps the club grounded in the local community (and points out to our squad how lucky they are to be pros in the game) but admittedly doesn’t tick the world wide phenomenon box!

• I'm not trying to wind people up here - I'm genuinely struggling to understand why it's so important that we take part in this competition in this day and age? Personally, I think the pro clubs should leave it for the non-League clubs to contest - and I doubt there's that much interest there beyond the real minnows.

• I’m 10x more likely to go to a B&B game than a pizza cup game (and yes, that includes Wembley) for all the reasons listed above.

• edited January 25

I agree that ,of itself , the decision to withdraw (be interesting to know when the decision was made as the timing is lousy,)is perhaps cause for a few days of complaining on this forum and elsewhere. But several people have made the point that it’s just another example of an increasing disconnect between the club and the area it is supposed to be drawing its support from.

Prices too high, poor value catering, withdrawal of match day programme without consultation, lack of any presence in the town, the farce over the withdrawal of the bus service. Some of these you will agree with ,some you won’t but to me, it’s all little things that add up to a lot.

• It's interesting that the club felt the need to give more detail, as if they were surprised at the negative reaction of the fans. They shouldn't be surprised.

• The international weekends is surely a red herring - the B&B cup games could be played in those weeks if league games are postponed or if we don't have games in midweek as they won't have to rearrange matches?

• More likely Steve that club staff were trying to take some due time off on Wednesday after arriving home very late from Wigan.

• There can only be about ten years between us, but sometimes you make me feel like Eddie Monsoon's grandfather.

• My second ever away match. We lost but it was great fun on the muddy banks behind the goal at Marlow.

• There is a lot of validity in your argument. It would therefore be better if we didn’t enter the competition in the first place rather than withdraw on the day when we were going to find out our opponents and probably annoying all the other teams left and the organisers.

The thrust of my argument is twofold

firstly, the heritage thing which you have eloquently questioned the validity of in this day and age. I think we can agree to differ on that.

secondly, the question of giving game time to those not in the first team or best on the bench. Ever since we’ve had a so-called development team, I have found it very confusing about how these players actually get game time with their supposed teammates. They either get very few competitive games, the odd friendly up at Booker, or they are loaned out and never learn to play alongside people of their parent club

• edited January 25

Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion.

the heritage thing seems to me to be a little out of kilter with reality. My recollection is that even 40-50 years ago, B&B games were sparsely attended. I believe we didn’t enter for many years until fairly recently.

living a long way away from AP, I get my live football fix watching my local Southern League (div2) team. We have a county cup too and the local league and conference teams enter (but not unusually pull out midway if circumstances change). As a supporter of the little team, you might get excited the first time your team draws a big name club or plays them in a PSF, maybe even the second time, but you quickly realise that this isn’t really Plymouth Argyle you are playing but eleven unknown kids wearing the shirt. You only get conned a relatively small number of times by the lure of the big name. I might still go if I fancy watching a game but honestly it doesn’t matter if the opposition are dressed in Exeter shirts or Exmouth shirts and frankly would far rather watch a grudge clash against Plymouth Parkway than a meaningless game against Plymouth Argyles youth team.

Other opinions are of course available and every bit as valid.

• That evening at Thame was uplifting, not just for Long Crendon fans, but Wycombe fans as well. Everyone there felt good about it. Long may we have more evenings like that.

• Fair enough - obviously I disagree, but thanks for actually giving an opinion and not merely thumbing me down!

• You’re welcome. There is not enough, in the world, these days, civilised conversation between people who hold differing views.

• Indeed, and I'm trying to be less... abrasive on here.

I do agree that the club has lost touch a bit with the community, though. Lack of presence in town seems like such an easy thing to fix and the Couhigs don't seem to have done anything at all on that front. It's a shame.

• I absolutely agree for various reasons I fear we are endangering the size of our future fan base

• The games against Long Crendon and Ascot United were both record crowds for those teams at the time I believe, which shows its value to them if nothing else. Even a gate of 200-500 would be very decent for most teams left in the draw. It's a real shame we couldn't make it happen

• Maybe we should offer to sub-in a Gasroom XI. @micra in goal, @Steve_Peart flying down the wing. I'd turn up for that.

• edited January 26

However, it might result in those teams having their smallest attendance of the season! 🤣

• I’m afraid I wouldn’t. All I’m good for now is lying down behind the wall.

• I was a goalkeeper in my playing days and once got away with a handball goal from a corner...