Skip to content

Berks & Bucks Senior Cup 2023-24

Comments

• Our decision to withdraw from this is a complete disgrace, showing zero regard for both our fans and the competition. Appalling. I’m annoyed.

• What a strange (and disappointing) decision.

• No one cares about the b ans b any more

• I think the number of comments on this page would suggest you are wrong with that view.

• Well you don’t clearly but equally you don’t get to speak for everyone.

In any event it’s a broader point than that. It’s about how we go about turning our promising young fringe players into first team footballers.

As someone said above for the likes of Ward, Woodhouse, Skura, Clark etc Wednesday might be their last chance to play in a meaningful match in the quarters this season. It’s not even February yet!!

I have to say that in a matter of days we’ve seen the comments from Wolves about a loan player being promised first team selection by Wycombe, the decision to release TJay without starting him in a single match this season and the news that we’ve pulled out of the B&B.

To me they are all sending the wrong signals about our approach to finding and developing players for the first team.

• Find this pretty sad

• Seems odd as it would have given more players a competitive run out surely?

(A cup is a cup!)

But I do not own, run or manage a football club.

• edited January 24

Do league clubs always get drawn away from home? If not could this have been a financial decision? ie avoiding the potential loss when opening the ground for a poorly attended match? Otherwise I really can’t think why we have withdrawn for the reasons articulated by others.

Perhaps the question why? could be raised at the up coming Trust meeting?

• Yes I think that’s a good idea given the Trust surely has a role in protecting the heritage of the club.

• Disappointing and a bit disrespectful to the Berks & Bucks FA, and to local football in general. Perhaps the development squad concept is not so attractive after all, rather reverting to a first team squad with players out on loan.

• Out of all the professional clubs in the county, our's is prob in the most need to be IN this competition!

Reading's finanical issues are well documented and another set of fixtures while everything else is going on, is on the lowest of their lists.

While the Franchise are prob looking at trying to get promotion back into League 1. With the potential of play-offs, they don't need the distraction.

Whereas with us, we have a team that needs to get back to winning ways, have players out of form & some are out of contract where playing against a local side could allow us to reconnect with the community & give us some confidence going into the league!

• Personally, I think if you enter a competition you should see it through to the end. Wycombe should be fined and banned from entering the competition next season. Chesham United should be treated similarly, although they did have some mitigation in that they were in both cups at the time and a backlog of league fixtures.

• Thoroughly disrespectful of us to pull out, as well as being a telling sign of our mentality this season.

• I'd say it's a good thing for us not to be playing unnecessary extra games given our current predicament.

• Even if it’s largely a different set of players?

• Minimal effort across the board seems to be the motto this season.

• Need a new banner with all of our Berks & Bucks trophies on it.

• I think we need all the resources possible to fight this relegation battle. Mind you, it might have been more respectful to not enter this in the first place, rather than pull out mid-season.

• "Berks and Bucks Champions, you'll never sing that" was a highlight of that day at White Hart Lane

• Playing Young, Horgan and 9 trialists, as mentioned earlier,isn’t taking the cup seriously. I would say that most of the development boys are out on loan or injured.

• A horrible decision in my opinion. Disrespectful to our roots if nothing else

• The Berks & Bucks Senior Cup has been in disrepute ever since the Franchise were allowed to enter the competition. It ceased to deserve respect.

• A little disappointing and as others have said somewhat disrespectful.

Does seem symptomatic of a football club that has lost its way and identity a little.

Whilst (given the lack of alternatives) I think the Couhigs have overall been positive for WWFC they have brought a disconnect in terms of what being a football club in a community MEANS for a section of supporters who are less obsessed with the here and now (and ‘matchday experience’) and value the club’s heritage.

In what is increasingly feeling like the dying embers of the Ainsworth dynasty I feel unusually pessimistic about who we are and where we are heading as a football club.

• Disappointing, but only shows that we clearly have a much thinner development squad than we'd realised. TJ gone yesterday, D'Mani, Skura, Clarke out on loan.

• I always remember us playing Chesham in the semi finals in 1999 when we were on a terrible run in the league in the early Sanchez days - around the time of a horrible home results against Colchester and Northampton. Sanchez played - except in goal - the first 11. We won 4-0, the league form turned around very soon after and the rest is history. No chance of that this year.

• Yes. It would be interesting (and perhaps even enlightening) to know the reason for this disappointing decision.

I prefer your ‘articulated’ to my recent ‘adduced’ !

• Reading are about to go bust and can field a team, but we can't, despite the B-team being one of the cornerstone investments of recent years?

• Seems like the club think us progressing is nailed on. Will all be a bit embarrassing if we get knocked out of the BSM by Brighton's kids. B&B games happen round the corner - is it really that hard to get 16 players down to Flackwell Heath?

• Even if we do progress in the League Trophy, there would still be five midweek slots left! Hardly 1992-93 fixture congestion.

it’s a similar principle to Manchester United withdrawing from the FA Cup and playing in Club World Cup. “We have bigger fish to fry.”

On a separate point, it’s clear now we don’t want a B Team anymore.