Skip to content

Richard Keogh departs

edited January 17 in Football

Just announced via the club app, Keogh has left the club by mutual consent.

Comments

• I really liked Richard, someone who always gave 100% and a real nice bloke as well.

• another shining example of Blooms...

• edited January 17

While his experience and knowledge has been an excellent influence around the club, I can only see positives with this news as it has become clear that the pace of the game in League 1 is just too quick for him now. Also with the change in formation & development of Joe Low had moved his position down.

However, it must mean that we'll need to add a Centre Back with a left back to the shopping list. With the injury history of Taf & Forino, we will need more cover in this area of the pitch

• Yeah must be something lined up, espc when Skura went out on loan only yesterday as well

• 1) Boyes

2) Brekin

3) L Taylor

4) D Taylor (poor imo)

5) Keogh

6) Phillips (played better last season)

7) Leahy (out of position and better last season)

8) Ravazolli- ok cover

9) Low - Excellent

10) Gotta- Excellent

11) Kone - to early

12) Kane - injured but been average apart from cameo at Derby

Blooms track record been poor ...just like his management .

Keep it up Rob

• I have been saying to friends we've had the strongest squad in years, especially in terms of an potential. The issue has been that Blooms has failed to get the best out of experienced players and failed to develop the young loanees.

I understand wanting Gareth back is an unpopular opinion but I do wonder what he could have done with these players.

• edited January 17

A truly dreadful signing. A 37 year old who had just gone through a massive operation following that stupid drunk driving incident. He hadn’t played regular football in years. He’s thick as mince judging by his interviews. Has to be one of the worst signings in recent history, which is even more grating because it was so predictable. Looks like we’re moving in the right direction by letting him go, although every transfer move made in January so far makes us even more predictable to opposition. This crop of players can no longer play a back five. It’s beginning to scream ‘panic’ after we spent so much time and money investing into the back five.

• edited January 17

@Blueword While everyone there freely admits that MB has made mistakes during his time in charge of the club and we can easily list them off. However, what do you gain from always being negative? Have you ever made a mistake? Have you had a family member/boss/colleague always picking holes in the decisions you have made again and again. If you have, I feel sorry for you.....

Is it worth your time and effort to keep digging and digging at the management of a club that you "support"? Without this management, it is possible that we might not have a club at all, or if it was around, we wouldn't have seen the positive times that we have experienced recently.

So, my suggestion to you is that once you've made a point, good or bad, just stop. Sometimes it creates some interesting discussions but when you keep going on,

and on,

and on,

and on, it does get very boring and you isolate yourself from everyone. What's the point? If you feel that strongly about it, make a facebook group or a "X" hashtag or videos on Youtube. All of them prob take the same or less time to create and maintain, you get to air your views and maybe someone will actually listen....

You have mentioned already that you won't be renewing your ST, that's fair enough, it's your life & money but this line has been used by different users sharing your exact same view which is why we all know who you are. Change tactic, move on and try and see the world in a more positive light.

• I guess it was to be expected of Blooms first transfer window with the club, that some decisions would be naive. We spent the summer signing players for 5 at the back with athletic wing backs, now after a switch to 4, we're jettisoning some of them.

Whilst I prefer a 4, the terrible run playing a 5 coincided with injuries, and it's bizarre that MB is completely changing it up.

Let's hope the freed up squad space and wages don't lead to more panicked signings like Keogh and Taylor.

• edited January 17

I dunno, the times I saw Michael Duberry play for us still has me in a nervous state. I think he must have been worse that Keogh!

• I am not a negative person , this is all about opinions , just because blooms is a club legend , this does not make him immune for criticism and its warranted based on how he has performed as a manager.

He is a great man but felt he was the cheaper and easy choice from.Rob , we have an amazing squad quality and should be pushing for promotion and feel like an experienced manager would achieve that.

• Duberry was far worse than Keogh

• Duberry was 15 years ago

• Michael Duberry famously went on to score a hattrick for Oxford a few years after leaving us. Shame two of them were in his own net. Far worse than Keogh ever was.

• I actually quite liked Keogh as a player. He was calm, assured and good on the ball, if a little slow. Don't think he'd have played much in the 2nd half of the season, so probably the right call all round. Good luck to him though!

• All the best to him. Came in, did his best, but couldn't keep up with L1.

Makes sense from our perspective to free up a space in a the squad and some not inconsiderable wages.

(also, Gasroomers, stop feeding the troll.)

• Lyle Taylor was not a panic signing! A gamble yes, one that may pay off for Cambridge not us. What you need to remember is that Hanlan was out for the season. Vokes was injured. Kone was still not available.Dale Taylor had a short injury. We even had to play Dave Wheeler as a striker in a couple of games.With all this in mind and the transfer window closed, yes a gamble but not a panic signing.

• edited January 17

Honest question - When was the last time that you gave some honest praise to MB?

To be honest, your last comment is prob the most balanced that you have written in the Gasroom!

The Wycombe Way (in the last 15yrs) has always been to hire a manager who either knows and understands the club OR is a cheap unknown that can cut their management teeth with us, develops and we can make money when another club approaches them. Yes, we have got it wrong, but we had got it right more times than not. GA almost took us out of the EFL in his very early days, but learnt, turned it around and made history.

But, you haven't just been criticising MB have you? There have already been a number of shots at Rob who is just writing the cheques and giving the club the resources it needs to keep going and attempt to be competitive. He isn't scouting these players, he relies on the staff to make the right calls. He prob questions them but ultimately, he has very little to do with the squad.

• @Blueword While everyone there freely admits that MB has made mistakes during his time in charge of the club and we can easily list them off. However, what do you gain from always being negative? Have you ever made a mistake? Have you had a family member/boss/colleague always picking holes in the decisions you have made again and again.

You've never been married....

• 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Or I have and saw the errors of my ways!

• With Keogh departing, hopefully releases cash to bring someone else into the club. Assume he was on reasonable wages. Clearly wasn’t going to get much game time going forward with us. So a good move for both parties. Did ok job when he played but everything at snail pace.

• edited January 17

Sanchez's law states that the longer a discussion about Wycombe Wanderers goes on in an Internet forum, the higher the probability someone will characterise another participant as being 'henpecked'.

• I still can't understand why he was signed in the first place. His best days were long gone and he had hardly played in the last couple of years since his bad injury. He made Bayo look rapid and there was no way you could play him and JJ together.

I think it was said at the time that his experience would help the younger defenders, but we already have the experience of JJ, plus Taf and Grimmer are around the 30 year old mark.

• Exactly. And if he was such an asset in the dressing room then why have we ended with mutual consent? Totally bizarre signing.

• He was Blooms' first signing of ther summer, so assume MB wanted a strong character to help implement his ideas and style. Clearly, he wasn't up for playing that style much, and wasn't as big a presence as we'd predicted.

• Anyone concerned about our defensive frailties should remember we once had a centre back pairing of Michael Duberry and Luke Oliver.

• Do those Gasroomers offering up a “back in my day it was worse” approach want a medal? Of course Keogh wasn’t as bad as Duberry and Luke Oliver. That was:

1) 15 years ago - football has come a long way in the lower tiers since then

2) In a lower division

3) Playing for a much lower budget Wycombe Wanderers

What a pointless comparison.

• Duberry played with us in L1 under Peter Taylor and then Waddock, so not a lower division.

• There have been plenty of players over the last 10 years where you could question why we signed them because their best days were ‘long gone’

Invariably they have gone on to be a great success and helped make the club the unique, special place that it is.

Unfortunately Keogh doesn’t fall into that category but hindsight is a wonderful thing