Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Lincoln

Comments

• In my deepest, darkest, most twisted nightmares......(redacted on legal advice)

• some reflections having calmed down: we were the better team until we decided not to be, that was two mid table L1 teams playing a mid table L1 game, we (the players) simply have to learn to take our chances when we’re on top, and we (Blooms) simply have to learn how to close a game out.

Blooms flexing out of his preferred system because the players couldn’t do it must have been a tough lesson for a young manager. Holding onto to leads at the death is the next one.

• Matt Bloomfield is going to remain manager for the rest of the season, given the unequivocal support committed by the owner.

We’ve taken 11 points from our last 15 matches. We have 20 more games and need another 20 points to secure our League One status for another season.

The owner is taking quite a risk. This is a season we are clearly going to have to endure, seemingly in the hope that Matt can follow the path of his predecessor.

• Oh shit. I took my legal advice from Bargepole and now I'm suing myself.

But of humour there to make us forget for a moment that we're slightly rubbish.

• It would be reassuring if Bloomfield took an ounce of accountability in his post-match interview. “We’ll have to take a look at things” is very frustrating to hear. Take a look at what? It’s bloody obvious where we’re going wrong late on. God I miss Ainsworth.

• Phillips for Sadlier to leave Vokes isolated up front and cede possession for the rest of the game was such a poor substitution it beggars belief.

Lincoln had shown nothing to concern us up until that point. Bloomfield's ridiculous scardey cat tactics have cost us a win today

• One defeat in seven sounds alright doesn’t it? One win in fourteen sounds horrible.

• Lincoln didn’t look like they were going to score in a month of Sundays until Matt came to their rescue .

• I don't think the switch to a back 5 was absolutely ridiculous in that situation. Lincoln had spent the 2nd half pummelling balls in to the box, an extra tall CB in there seemed logical. Problem is, we spent the entire last 20 mins seemingly unable to put a foot on it and pass.

• We finished the game with KVY, Grimmer, Low, Forino, Tafa, Leahy all on the pitch. That’s not a clear back five. That’s pure chaos.

It was quite evident Potts had gassed out by the 80th minute, but we couldn’t sub him because we didn’t name a single midfielder on the bench. Another very poor move by Bloomfield.

• But aren’t you beginning to wonder if he’s the right man for the job. Great result against Bristol but what about the rest of the recent games.

• edited January 13

At this rate we might be more reliant on Reading's fans' ability to sit on a pitch than ours to sit on a lead.

• Post match interview is so fucking bland. Stats stats stats kone.

• Incredibly frustrating, but sadly inevitable. A solid performance for 85mins, then we just panicked. Everyone seems keen to blame Bloomfield, but the players have to take responsibility. No one was able to get their foot on the ball and play a simple pass, it was just endless, usually sliced or miss hit clearances. No surprise at all that Lincoln eventually took advantage. Our game management all season has been dreadful. Ridiculous how many points we've thrown away due to sheer panic in closing stages of games.

Would also say that Vokes miss was a turning point. He really, really should have scored that

• edited January 13

Yes, but chiefly because Bloomfield kept bringing on defenders and giving them a free pass to the edge of our box.

The Sadlier substitution was absolutely ridiculous. And if you’re going to try and hang on to a 1-0, don’t take Vokes off.

I’m usually quite mild mannered about things but I’m still furious driving home. Everyone in the ground could see it happening. The atmosphere was great but his woeful tactics killed that dead and the inevitable happened.

• Just got home... so annoyed, sad to say I called it 5 mins from time that we'd let a goal in

How have we not won that game !?!? Poor management ! Lack of subs when they should've come on, then the wrong subs ! Although it's been a bit better recently Blooms record remains dreadful ! Ive had enough, I'm gone for the night.

• Vokes did sod all in the second half. Spent most of it shrugging at the ref or standing still with his hands on his hips. When we did get it to him instead of holding the damn ball up he’d do a fucking Hollywood flick to nobody. We were playing with ten men.

He had a good first half though.

• Very frustrating.

I think we've been playing Ok since the Port Vale game, aside from Exeter away. But we haven't picked up enough wins during those games.

We're not far off being a decent side but there's a bit of a soft underbelly at times.

Potts is a decent player but he really is poor on loose balls and will need to get better at the ugly side of the game if he wants to play above League 1, let alone make it in the Premier League.

Likewise, Sadlier is a passenger when we're defending. The sub wasn't ideal but I could see why we did it. Probably would hav been better to play Phillips left as a defensive cover for Leahy to stop the crosses and give us someone to chase balls down the channel. That would have allowed Taylor to stay closer to Vokes and give us more of a out ball.

• edited January 13

Certainly not in my book. ‘10’ or ‘forward’ for me. He couldn’t (and hasn’t) play(ed) in the middle alongside Scowen, Potts or Wheeler.

• Some people didn't think Gareth was the man for the job and kept on about it for about three seasons and probably won't think the next man is the right man for the job. My view is he's the man IN the job for the foreseeable unless some roubles are freed up to get The Manager so despite the up and down nature of recent results saying sorry he's not the right man for the job over and over again is pointless. I think we will do enough to stay up and decisions will then be made.

• You can’t ignore the serious mistakes being made by the manager, yes he is learning his trade and is a Wycombe legend. I agree that he will probably be in the job at least until the end of the season but it shouldn’t stop us telling the truth about his performances as our manager.

He lost us 2 points again today.

• Having been on the terrace for more years than I care to admit to, it was so obvious how the game would end. Over the years (GA years even), we have been resigned to second halves where, having been in the ascendency in the first half, they fell back and tried to defend a lead. Who will tell MB it just doesn't work?

• I wonder if we realise that the goal was scored in the time added on for Kones’ rolling around on the floor pretending to be injured? Another stitch in the tapestry of learning!

• 6 mins were initially added on.

Kone was down for about a minute.

The equaliser was scored on about 97:30.

When we were taking the two consecutive throws extremely slowly next to the family stand, the ref was tapping his watch to Grimmer.

Architects of our own downfall.

• edited January 13

That 13 minutes vs Bristol Rovers was the only time we've led by more than one goal in three-and-a-half months. We've got the players to kill teams off; we just don't.

• @drcongo not how I saw it at all. Thought Vokes was doing fine second half, won countless headers and had plenty left in him. Removing Sadlier for the massively overrated Phillips meant the flicks no longer had an outlet.

Vokes gets a towering 8.2 rating on SofaScore, making him our MOTM. Not sure I’d go that far, but I thought he had a more than decent game. I think he’d have been more useful defending corners too, seeing as we were leaving no one up top when facing them.

• It's also worth noting this is the weakest league 1 in the last 3 to 4 years and still our performances and results are worryingly bad. An Ainsworth team from the past 3 to 4 years would go very close based on the standard this season.