Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Leyton Orient

Comments

• Positives: A point, a clean sheet and competitive performance.

Negatives: zero goal threat, low quality punting all night long, 12 games without a win.

• edited December 2023

Odd moments of decent play from us but you can see how low on confidence we are with all the wayward passes & hoofball, the clean sheet will have helped with that despite it being a rear guard action in the second half.

We will need to be much more up for it and organised against Bristol Rovers.

• Doesn’t matter really, neither would trouble the goal and both would spend more time shrugging and moaning than shooting. Pretty much interchangeable.

• Fecking hell it’s hard being a fan at the moment. Terrible showing again. Players look shot. Confused formation. Confused tactics. Even set pieces look confused. Passing accuracy of 53%? That’s a shambles

Saw the boos at full time. It’s not surprising.

• Good lord that was low on quality.

How on earth Vokes was left on the bench I do not know.

Positive was that we defended well and came away with a point.

No shots on target says it all though.

Do I hear the players and staff getting quite a lot of stick from the away fans?

• 0 shots on target and not a single decent chance created.

We are in a whole heap of trouble.

• Ah the original gasman had tweeted about this.

Longest winless runs were 13 twice in 2003/04 under Adams and 12 under Ainsworth in 18/19.

• Absolute sh*t. No football played by Wycombe. The game we played , hitting hopeful balls up the middle was crying out for Vokes but Bloomfield brings on the complete waste of space Taylor. What was he thinking of. Sorry Bloomfield has to go. This winless run and extremely poor has gone on to long.

• Let the excuses begin

• Well, I don't know what to say really, well I do have a few but don't want to be banned.

Something, has to change

• Appreciate that’s another game without a win but we were so much better defensively.

We don’t have much going forwards, so need a couple of signings.

Not sure why Vokes was left on the bench, perhaps rotation for Monday. I think we would have won that game if he’d played for the first hour.

Although we haven’t won for 12 games we’ve drawn six of them and lost five by one goal.

lets hope Monday brings three points. COYB!

• I feel for the goalie, defenders, Scowen and Potts. No-one ahead of them has an idea.

Oh for Nick Freeman in the 10. To not even give him a run out there last season sealed his departure.

• There's something wrong wth the way the team is set up when we can't manage a single shot on target against Orient. Especially when we're desperate to end a 12 game winless streak.

• Why o why do we persist in letting Max boot the ball forward - it just repeatedly turns possession over. Good at the goalkeeping stuff most of the time but awful with the ball at his feet and always has been. We could have be playing until Monday and we still wouldn’t have a shot let alone score.

• I’m dreading the atmosphere on Monday if we go 1 or 2 goals down. Could be toxic.

• Lots of Bloomfield out chanting I’m told by people at the game.

In isolation you’d live with a draw away but no efforts on target, a grim second half and the ever worsening run, it must be almost game over for the Bloomfield reign. All rests on Monday for me.

• We're not getting blown away and I think the players are still working hard and support the manager.

But that lack of attacking threat is absolutely killing us.

• History repeating itself? Drone army going nuts at Bloomfield as we look odds on to go down, before a heroic last day stand against all odds, then assault on the playoffs the year after?

No, me neither.

• That was a much better result than performance. We were pretty shocking and would've lost against a more clinical side (although Stryjek made plenty of good saves - shocking distribution though). Both of the Taylors were hopeless in their respective stints leading the line, but equally, it was rare we got another blue shirt within 10 yards of them. I'm also not sure I've ever seen a team of professional footballers misplace so many passes.

Bristol Rovers on Monday feels absolutely massive. Win it and this will become a very very good point, and 4 points from 2 games is suddenly a solid platform. Lose and we're on the cusp of the bottom four, with MB surely gone very soon after.

• agreed. Not one of our attacking players seems to be able to control the ball at the minute except Sadlier.

Philips, Taylor * 2, Vokes, McCleary, Wheeler the ball just seems to bounce off them. It’s really not helping the team.

I’d start with the same side on Monday except Taylor for Vokes. We need to stop messing around with the team. There’s four or five changes every game which cannot be helping.

4-2-3-1 has now got three draws out of three games. It is working much better than back three.

• Think back to August and both teams looked really good, that was beyond tedious this evening! Orient the better side, certainly in the 2nd half, but they rarely looked like scoring. We on the other hand never even remotely threatened. We can I guess at least look at it as disciplined defensive performance and a big plus to have Potts back.

It can only really be viewed as a good point if we beat Rovers on Monday and looking at their form, that would seem extremely unlikely.

Not sure what the boos towards the players at the end was about? Ok it was a rubbish match, but the effort was there and we got a point that many didn't expect.

• Al-Hamadi bagged his 15th of the season tonight.

Wimbledon had 31 shots with 13 on target. Not sure we've had that many all season.

• edited December 2023

The problem with the 4231 formation is that Matt doesn't have confidence in it. He's done it because of external pressure - from the players? fans? club hierarchy? - but he clearly feels that the only way to make it work is that, in return for losing a defender, we must also revert to long-ball. Combine that with a goalkeeper who, even his biggest fans will hopefully accept, is not strong on distribution and we've got a recipe for endless punting of the ball up the pitch, only to see it returned seconds later. Case in point: Stryjek's strong save from the free-kick, then catch at the subsequent corner, is followed by a long ball into the hands of the Orient keeper - 5 seconds later it's back at the feet of an Orient player close to the spot of the original free kick.

The interlinked problem - the bigger problem - is that if we're going to play D Taylor as a lone frontman we need balls threaded through from the midfield, also utilising the wide options we had on the pitch. That's what Potts can offer us, Scowen too. But when Stryjek is sending balls far above their heads there's little chance of them being able to.

• The positives:

I'm on a train that is leaving East London.

• I didn't think the performance was too bad but my assessment could be entirely down to the amount of Winter Royal I consumed during the broadcast. It really is a fabulous brew.

• We hung on for a point that we didn't particularly deserve for our attacking endeavours, at least our defence looked like they had turned up. Potts back was a positive, we need him to link up play from the back but frankly none of our forwards made any impact on the game.

Where does Bloomfield go from here? His tactics aren't working with these players and we're not seeing any changes that suggests that he has any better ideas. Or do we have a clear-out in January and bring in some fresh faces? This is where the Couhigs need to show a ruthless streak, make a decision and see it through. They've had a fairly easy ride as far as personnel changes are concerned, this will be a test of their true ability to run a football club.