Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Leyton Orient

Comments

• Looked like a penalty at first look there.

• Wow we are so blessed to have Scowen, fantastic tackle followed by an exquisite long ball to GMac

• We couldn't score in a barrel full of fannies

(Literary quote there)

• Scrappy game on a poor pitch.

Second balls are going to be crucial here. It isn't easy to get clean balls into the forwards, and neither side is making it stick. We need the midfield to be snapping into every loose ball like their life depends on it.

• Great save, Max

• Too many players are not in the game. We need to get the ball to Sadlier and Gmac.

• If only we could string more than two passes together.

• edited December 2023

A quote from Booker Prize winner James Kelman my thumbs down friends.

Not Jim Kelman, sadly. But close enough.

• Sadlier improves every game.

• Lots of poor touches from too many players so far. Bizarre decision to pump it long to a front three as weak in the air as Sadlier, Taylor and McLeary.

Whilst it’s nice that we haven’t conceded, we also haven’t looked remotely threatening so far.

• The correct quote..

'Is there a chance the track will bend?'

'Not on your life my Hindu friend!'

• If we are going to keep hoofing it, we need to bring Vokes and Wheels on for Dale and Gmac.

• edited December 2023

There's tiny bits of confidence coming back, slightly fewer panicked distances. Dale Taylor... wish we still had Alex Samuel instead

• Utterly thundering it aimlessly high in the air to Taylor certainly isn't the way to give him a chance.

• Decent performance so far. If we can play Scowen and Potts together for the rest of the season we’ll finish top half.

• Vokes on Taylor off.

Taylor on Philips off.

Competitive first half and look so much better with a back four, although Leahy was roasted three times in first 20 but been better since.

• I’m no lip reader but Taylor appeared to be showing his frustration to Scowen about the balls he’s receiving. Scowen’s response was to gesture to the ground and Leahey pointed out wide. That’s excellent we all know what’s to be done now, as we didn’t do that first half enough.

• Plenty of commitment so any ‘lost the dressing room’ nonsense is wide of the mark. Scruffy in possession as you’d expect from a team low on confidence but not bad at all.

Can’t keep thumping it to Taylor though. Phillips needs to step up too - no impact at all so far, just lots of running about.

• Hardly any quality on the pitch. Most players seem to be really struggling with the surface.

Looks to me like a game that will be won and lost scrapping for second and third balls. Phillips hasn't done anywhere near enough competing for loose balls in their half.

When we do get a bit of possession, we really have to look after the ball better.

• Yeah, they're having a go, not awful at all for a game at this level in these circumstances but nothing is sticking to Phillips at all, hasn't been so ineffective in ages, Dale just seems piss weak unfortunately. Some nice touches from Potts and his work is freeing Josh to get further forward but I'm not sure that's ideal either.

• Do you think they've all forgotten Vokes isn't playing ? Keep hitting it long ? Looks like young Taylor has been learning from old Taylor, lots of arm waving.

Still, it's a bit better than boxing day, though that wouldn't be hard.

I like it when Low plays, he's looking pretty solid, and Scowen and Leahy are, well just Scowen and Leahy

• Taylor will not win anything pumping it up in the air. He needs it in to feet.

If we are going to continue to pump it up bypassing the midfield then Vokes needs to come on now.

We don’t look disjointed playing 4-2-3-1 but yet another first 45 with zero goal threat and no shots on target.

We are relegation fodder

• Very scrappy from both teams. Not really much point in going long to D. Taylor as we're continually doing. Better of bringing Vokes on if we're looking to go down that route.

Sadlier by far our most impressive player so far. We looked a threat on the rare occasions we've managed to get him on the ball.

• I might have my stats slightly incorrect but Taylor is 3’8” and their centre backs are 8’3” so……let’s hit it high and long. What’s the XG on that one?

• No. We are pure mid table.

• Sorry, but Taylor is totally ineffective. Getting muscled out all the time but not helped by the service given to him. GMac doesn’t look interested. Sadlier looks ok but cannot see how we are going to score. Potts is absolute class but sadly we haven’t got many others trying to play football. Poor game.

• Similar to a few of our games recently. Solid enough, a few alarms and not much going forward.

Clearly when confidence isn't in full bloom it's very easy to just launch it. Am sure Bloomfield hasn't told anyone to smack it long to a fairly physically weak striker.

• I am having serious case of the buffering tonight. Need the extra time to get my £10's worth!

• What I wouldn't do to see mehmeti dancing into the box and letting fly or laying off to Taylor gmac or sadlier..... hit and hope lumping it forward is not the one with no target man on the pitch