Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Exter

Comments

• So there was a "Wycombe clause" in his Essex Apes contract?

• But we wouldn't have been turning the corner - it just would have papered over the cracks

• Is this the first (and probably last) 'papering over the cracks' of the Bloomfield era?

• Absolutely incredible that people would prefer Nathan Jones as Wycombe manager than Matt Bloomfield. I'm speechless

• I've never wanted a manager to turn things round more than this very moment. I'm desperate for him to do it.

It boils my blood to see fellow Wycombe fans talking dispassionately about it like they're dealing with a fictional character on Championship fucking Manager

"if you can't support us when we draw or lose, don't support us when we win"

• Yeah, I don't get people's opposition to him. He's said a few slightly outlandish things in press conferences - so what? He's plainly a fantastic coach (not that he'd ever come to Wycombe).

• Built his team around a proven racist, acted like a twat whenever we played them. There's a couple

• The first Leyton Orient game was where things turned around initially. Who knows? They could be kind enough to act that role again.

• I just realized something else, a little heartbreaking: during this winless run, we have only lost one game by more than a goal (2-4 Bolton, were we conceded late twice).

It makes it harder when we are in every game and still not picking anything up - it's not like we are getting thrashed. It does seem to make goalscoring the culprit much more than anything defensive.

• Or teams know they only have to score once....

• Right…and teams that are otherwise barely capable of scoring (Exeter, Shrewsbury). We’re hardly a clean sheet machine..

• Ifs and buts are a bit silly in this discussion. We've got 39 points from his 37 matches in charge. That's the long term trend, and that includes a number of wins where we had plenty of luck

• There is no evidence, just hope that he might be able to turn it around. And I get the feeling it is hope from the fans, the owners and the coaching staff. There is no solid plan, just hope - same as us poor saps. He doesn't know his best team or his best formation. Neither do the players

• edited December 2023

Blooms is ‘Mr Wycombe’. That is because he had, in the modern era, a unique twenty year playing career, not because he was a legendary player or indeed key to much of what happened over that period (not kicking the ball into row Z in the dying seconds against Southend aside). He had some help along the way - anonymity so never a transfer target, even long term injury when on a long term contract, changes of manager to suit his style etc. He had laudable qualities, a loyal servant, a solid foot soldier, hard working, a professional role model, reliable. As a player we were fortunate to have his services, he was lucky to be at a club that always had a role for him.

For better or worse, in professional football, going forward, none of that counts for anything when the chips are down and should play no part in evaluating his future with the club. And it must not cloud the sort of ruthless, pragmatic, cold blooded decision the owner is now required to consider.

Whatever one thinks of Rob’s approach during his tenure, those are ‘qualities’ I perceive he has in abundance.

• edited December 2023

I’m glad, @eric_plant, that you remained speechless for only three minutes because your follow-up comment is absolutely spot-on.

Watching Matt Bloomfield in his post match interviews is gut wrenching. The margin between narrow defeats and narrow victories is paper thin. Ok, yesterday’s performance was disappointingly inferior to the two previous performances. Personnel and positional changes were no doubt significant factors and the extra 24 hours rest time that Exeter had enjoyed must also have played a part.

I also agree with @Shev when he says that goalscoring seems to be the main ‘culprit’ rather than anything defensive. A statement of the bleedin’ obvious, I know.

If only we had an experienced former Premier League striker who could score the occasional goal off his own bat rather than being dependent on accurate assists from other players which tend to be all too few (for whatever reason).

• I agree with you @eric_plant for my part I did not say I would prefer the Rev only that he did not seem to be loathsome as someone pointed out and if MB did go, it would not boil my blood if he came in. (Not that I think we can afford anyone of that status...even with his two big pay-offs!)

I would much prefer Matt turns it round...and I like the fact that our club has a modicum of loyalty towards their manager (for whatever the reason).

The Gasroom is the Gasroom with some of the people who wanted Gareth out for years now tearfully recalling how fantastic he was and the need to get the new one out.

No doubt, if there is a new manager he will get a few games before he's 'found out.'

Except for the Morecambe game, I don't think we are as bad as the results suggest, but definitely need someone to start scoring goals.

• The level Of entertainment In recent games has been practically nil.

The level of players confidence is practically nil.

Passion non existent.

I'm sorry Matt but this is down to you and your players. .

We only went for it yesterday was the last 10 minutes.

I hate to see managers go but I hate relegation more.

• Things never turned around to start with though. We were still playing rubbish after that. And in that game v Orient we held on against ten men who were second bottom of the league and hadn't won yet

• I wholeheartedly agree with your first sentence, but at least Gasroom posters - with one or two notable exceptions - bother to explain their views in an articulate manner. You had better not venture onto other social media platforms where Blooms is vilified by the usual suspects who trot out the same old cliches about tactically inept, no plan B, lost the dressing room etc.

• Scoring is the problem mainly , especially the last few games. Against Port Vale brought on substitutes by taking off players who had been instrumental in taking the lead, and reverted to a back 3/5 formation. Has Rob or anyone asked him why? Then he picks Keogh and JJ against Exeter, OK squad rotation is necessary at times, but not when you are possibly beginning to get the right team and formation together. And why play Leahy in the positions he was clearly not liking at Shrewsbury, so he left there?

So a lot of the same questions as posed earlier in this thread. But to me, who is mentoring MB, who is asking him the questions and possibly helping him see the answers is crucial. It happens in a lot of businesses, why not in football?

• Let’s not down play how important he was as a player over the years. We often seemed to play better as a team when he was in the side. He was an unspectacular player, but he did the hard work so others around him could shine.

• The point about rotation is an interesting one. We didn’t win either of our last two ‘winnable’ games (all games are winnable FYI) and we rotated, particularly at the back, for both. Alan referred to Big Chris being unwell for the Exeter game so I’ll take him out of the equation, but would it have been better to have a pairing of Low / JJ for Vale and Keogh / Taf for Exeter, or Taf / JJ and Keogh / Low … rather than having Keogh and JJ playing together?

JJ / Keogh / Grimmer all have bags of experience which benefits us, but I’m not sure it was the wisest decision to start them together.

• That’s because jones is a proven manager ,the team Bloomfield put out on Boxing day was borderline football criminality ,just because you played for the same club for 20 years doesn’t make you a good manager look at lamperd and gerrard

• I think most people on here have shown Blooms the respect he deserves. It doesn’t mean people can’t be in the ‘out’ camp.

• It’s not ifs and buts, I was simply pointing out the fine lines associated with being a football manager. We are where we are and the table doesn’t lie.

• I’m not sure many Gasroomers will relish the tone of “all games are winnable, for your information”, @Gary but, with the benefit of hindsight (a wonderful thing) I think you’re right about the alternative central defensive pairings which you suggest and I hope we will be able to pair Joe Low with Chris Forino against Leyton Orient or, if Chris hasn’t recovered, Ryan Tafazolli who looked pretty impressive when he came on against Exeter.

• Haha very true, it’s just an odd cliche that football fans, players and pundits like to use all too often.

• Quick to belittle on fb. Snake in the grass in the Gasroom !