Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Exter

Comments

• edited December 2023

Anyone know when Lyle Taylor's contract runs out? That could be one area to cut losses and replace with something else. Would be just our luck if we were to get him fit for someone else but similar to Blooms, how long do you go on a hope without results?

• Surely you appreciate the difference between inheriting another manager’s squad and playing style-and we were just two places lower at the end of last season than we were when Blooms took over-and bringing in your own players and philosophy?

• I must say...though I did find the Rev a bit over-confident and therefore amusing I am not sure he is a 'loathsome' individual and would not mind him coming in as I think he could work with the players we have.

I assumed we would be mid-table (with hopes of the play-offs) and knew that would involve losing more games than winning but things do look bad. Having said that I would be in the waiting for the next couple of games camp before ejecting MB and his team (even if we can afford to!). I am not convinced that we have enough cash clear the decks and to buy in a 'proven at this level' or ' exciting new coach' and his team that will stop @davecz being eternally worried or @trevor shouting 'shite' !

It is also @glasshalffull 's right to be optimistic...those demanding he respond also knew that.

• What do you consider working? If the new manager comes in January, Wycombe finish the season 18th, is that working or is that sackable?

• Based on what I've seen replacing him would not be required. I had hoped he would really appreciate Bloomfield and Wycombe giving him a chance at pro football again. He arrived with a ringing 'endorsement' from Forest fans regarding terrible attitude. This is it Lyle, a chance to stick 2 fingers up to the doubters, show that you still have love for the game, show you can still perform, be a leader who has played at the higher levels of football. Nope. A whinging, sulking flop, throwing himself on the floor and then waving his arms around as he plays victim. On the one or two occasions he has got through on goal (Saturday for example) the ball was bouncing off him like he had covered his boots in pyramids.

He's done. He's a spent force. He probably knows it and that's why his attitude on the field is one of frustration. He remembers being better and can't understand why he isn't anymore.

I'm pretty confident City will recall Breckin from his misery and we can look at getting a loan striker in. One that has played football in the past 2 years so we can get him to hit the ground running.

• As always your positive outlook is one to rally behind. But the stats don't lie. If Bloomfield was appointed in the summer we would be adrift, his 10 month tenure has been a relegation season. He has implemented his style, with his tactics, with his players. It is all on him and we are where we are. It is on him. Sadly. He can't figure out where he is going wrong.

And as for sickness and short-term injuries is it me or do these happen less in a happy dressing room when players are desperate to play? We seem to have a lot of players out for one week.

• Indeed...as a sage once said 'Performances are more important than points at this stage of the season'.

• I've read many posts on here and have to agree we should be seriously considering Blooms' future as manager. A decent solid and reliable player, albeit not the most exciting. That seems to have translated into the dull, turgid, defensive football that we are selected too. Several baffling decisions, the persistence with Keogh and a back 5/3 being the most bizarre. And the new contract for him earlier this season following a brief good run, madness.

I think his appointment was wrong. Continuation was what was wanted but Blooms had completely ripped everything up and started again. We paid compensation when far better options were available for free and it's been a take of nothing but losers.

Wycombe - losing one of the greatest managers in their history.

Ainsworth - tossing away his legacy for eight months of fans on his back.

Dobbo and the coaching staff - ditto

QPR - wasting money on the incorrect appointment

Colchester - back struggling at the foot of League 2

Blooms - going from lots of time with his family to lots of commuting. All to work in a job which was always going to be a thankless task.

• There’s been some really valid arguments, both for and against Blooms remaining at the club. The biggest question for me is around the January transfer window. We have a decent squad so we don’t actually need many new additions next month. It’s the tactics where we are struggling in my opinion. Could another manager get better results out of this squad? In the words of Matt, most certainly so…the question is, do we get rid or do we find a way of supporting his tactical inexperience. What’s Mr Gorman up to these days?

My fear is that we may see new additions in January who equally struggle to perform, as we haven’t learned many lessons tactically. We can sign the best players we can get our hands on but it won’t make a blind bit of difference if they don’t understand what is asked of them, and don’t buy into the way they are being asked to play.

• We paid compensation when far better options were available for free.

I was quite happy with Bloomfield appointment at the time @Hopping_Wanderer but am intrigued to know who the better free options were when he was appointed in your opinion?

• edited December 2023

Not disagreeing...just interested about who you would have wanted at the helm.

• We didn’t pay compensation.

• I was trying to be realistic rather than optimistic. Just as we witnessed with both Gaz going to QPR and Blooms taking over at Wanderers, it takes time for a new manager to implement his ideas when he inherits a squad that wasn’t of his choosing, especially if he insists on a different style of play. There are two options available: 1) Gamble that a new face can turn things around in the time he would have available, 2) Gamble that the current manager can still rescue the situation. I prefer option (2) but I know that others would go for option (1). Which option the owner prefers is all that matters.

• They had no choice given he was a member of Wycombe staff when he joined them.

• He's no loss (unless he suddenly springs into form) and he probably wants more money somewhere else, but we could really do with someone quick who knows where the goal is.

• I have, up until now, been in the Blooms stays camp. However serious questions now need to be asked.

1 - is Matt good enough?

2 - are the back room staff just ‘ yes men’ or does anyone have the nous or balls to say ‘ no Blooms no’

3 - will we see Potts again / soon.

4 - what is the longer term plan? An ageing squad that needs a big overhaul in the summer.

What are the solutions? Is it Matt and his whole team who need replacing.

Is it that Blooms stays with a different back room staff

What are the players in and out in January situation.

My feeling is that Rob won’t pull the trigger on Blooms now but will be looking to address some of the above

• Do you have some inside knowledge, perhaps gleaned from working in the media by any chance?

Am assuming by the above you mean it was in the agreement Bloomfield signed that if Wycombe came back in, he'd not be subject to any compensation?

• What's that got to do with it ? He was their manager and was under contract , pretty sure we would have had to pay some compo.

• That was with vokes and gmac who then got injured for some period of time, so the whole front 3 missing from what ains had. The aging squad. Ains was smart when he got out. See one of the interviews with rob pete and blooms early on, rob said its the same budget and pete replied jokingly well that's news to us....

• Everyone seems to assume that Gareth would want to come back. I'm not sure he would, particularly at the moment.

• Why?

It’s a good squad of players that should be doing a lot better than it is.

• edited December 2023

He's got to be the first port of call. If he doesn't want it (and I think he would because you can't stay out of work too long as a manager), I think we've got plenty of other options.

• He gives the impression of a guy embracing the free time to do other things.

But he'll be smart enough to know you can easily be forgotten in football circles if you stay out too long.

Coming back in the summer would probably be a good move for him, just depends who to.

• Though the subject of this thread is sad, something about the picture of a hard-nosed negotiator selling ice cream cheers me up!

• Bloomfield was always part of Couhig’s succession planning so getting him back for free was part of the deal.

• Is there another option that avoids the sacking MB scenario, whilst acknowledging that things aren’t good enough and need to change?

As in, a short-term director of football type appointment?

Yes, it would be a kick in the teeth for MB (or any manager wanting to be their own man) but something is clearly not right and needs reviewing before we get too far into trouble.

There’d be no guarantees with this either, I’m not saying it’s a magic bullet, but it’s more a question of taking the least worst option to avoid relegation right now, and something has to change somewhere.

As many others have said, there has been no sign for a long time that MB is shaking things up enough to course correct.

• When you look at our league position and points total from the most recent games, we may assume that there is no real case for keeping Blooms, although he is a wonderful bloke and a Wycombe legend.

However, if you look at the last two matches we can see that a football managers job security is rather fragile to say the least.

For example - If we had not let that scrambled goal in against Port Vale in the last moments of that game and if we had converted the penalty at Exeter, we would have had 3 more points and I suspect that quite a few of us would have been saying that we are turning the corner.

Football is a funny old game and not one for the faint hearted.