Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Derby

Comments

• One of the most disjointed games I've ever seen in the 1st half. As well as the stop/start that suits Wycombe more than Derby we also failed to find teammates with our passes. 2nd half was better but that wasn't a hard ask.

I wasn't surprised that one of our 3 MFs was subbed at HT as all 3 had been booked. Surprised it was Sibs as, IMO, he was not the worst of the 3.

That neither side had a shot on target in the first half wasn't a surprise considering the woeful performance of both sides.

The cards? NML and Hourihane both lost control of the ball and dived in to try to retrieve it, catching an opponent with their studs. Correct yellow. Bird pulled their player back to prevent him launching an attack. Yellow. Sibley, half hearted "shot" 10 yards over the ball, an age after the whistle. Following the ref's instructions from the start of the season, yellow. Personally I would have had a word and told him a repeat would see a card. She was, however, consistent when Vokes did similar in the 2nd half she carded him as well. Collo and Leahy. That all started when Leahy went down under a nothing challenge from Sibs. Leahy made far too much of it, probably knowing that Sibs was already on a yellow and a 2nd would see him walk. Collo pulled him to his feet and told him, basically, to man up. That resulted in a handbags spat. Another one where a quiet word might have been sufficient under normal circumstances but, at that point, several players had been getting "tasty" and the cards were likely designed to quieten things down.

The penalty given. I wish causality was still in the wording. As the Laws are currently worded, just about any contact whatsoever is deemed sufficient to award a foul. IMO, there was insufficient in Ward's contact to warrant Wheeler going down. As it is, Welch can't be criticised for giving the penalty under the current Law.

The not given penalty. IIRC, 64 minutes, the ball comes in and Cash goes to head home. A Wycombe defender has the front of Cash's shirt in his left hand in attempt to make it hard/impossible to get a good header in and his right arm is round Cash's back, further hampering his attempt to score. Penalty. Pure and simple. Not given. The one big decision she got wrong, IMO.

The penalty shout from NML? The man played the ball. NML's run took him into the path of the slide through. Not a penalty. Another one the ref got right.

The equaliser? It was obvious what Wycombe were going to do. They loaded up their left hand side up top, we had 6 defenders lined up on their right... That was a bad decision. Ball gets nodded on, Wheeler went down, IMO, way too easily and the ref gave the penalty which, under the current wording, wasn't a surprise.

On another medium she was slated for her performance by most fans. Three didn't agree, saying she had a good game. Two other refs and yours truly. Her refereeing was much better than the standard of play displayed by either side.

Not a patch on recent DCFC performances. Wycombe came with a plan and it worked as it often does against us. I can't really complain at a draw. In fact, I'd call it a game neither side deserved to win.

• I agree with most of your post @Raminpeace, but still can't see the "Personally I would have had a word and told him a repeat would see a card" bit. This appears to be a modern malaise in general with society, which appears to be basically entitlement & lack of consequences. From memory, nobody else did it, so it clearly worked. At what point do the rules apply in the game, 5th minute, 10th minute, 30th minute? The player is a professional footballer and should be well acquainted with the rules and the referees were told at the beginning of the season that it is a yellow card offence. Where I can see it is an issue is the consistency, but given she is potentially to be given a PL slot next week, she possibly felt obliged to carry out the letter of the law as it may have effected her chances? 🤷‍♂️

• It wasn't just a pen but should have been a red too.

There's no way that was a "legit" attempt for the ball, tripping someone from behind.

• Raminpeace seems a decent sort but I disagree on a couple of things. I have seen far worse games this season and I thought we played well in the first half and Derby were in the ascendancy in the second half. The trip on Wheeler was a foul all day long, clear penalty under any interpretation of the laws and the Derby players didn’t even complain. The referee was excellent, one of the best I have seen this season. We took no longer over stoppages than Derby did after taking the lead, so the accusation that it suited us is not justified.

• I have seen far worse games this season

That's because you've been watching Wycombe!

• edited December 2023

Just read this a posted on a Rams forum. Apparently, four of your finest weren't acting in a fine manner....

QUOTE Walking back to the car a group of 4 youths felt the need to walk in front of my mum, make her stop to sing "when derby county die" right in her face. She is 83 and four foot nothing.  UNQUOTE

We all have them, I know but I would hope no-one on here would condone this behaviour towards an 83 year old woman.

• If this happened @Raminpeace it is of course utterly moronic. Not representative of the vast majority of decent football supporters of our and other clubs. Hope the lady concerned is OK.

• Pathetic behaviour anyway, but to single out an older lady is unspeakable levels of scumbag behaviour.

• Unfortunately @Raminpeace we all have them. My daughter’s other half and I were unpleasantly verbally abused as we left the stadium by a Derby fan. Thereafter, we walked back to our car amongst many more Derby fans without issue.

• edited December 2023

If it's the same 4 scrawny young lads in matching Burberry scarves who let off the flare at Oxford away, their behaviour is utterly embarrassing, although thankfully wouldn't be threatening to anyone other than a 4ft, 84 year old pensioner.

• edited December 2023

Walking out of Oxford away the other season, a guy, with his kid, was absolutely seething with me and my pal for our team's supposed dark arts and dirty approach.

Even though they'd had more bookings that day.

I've only once left a ground feeling steamed up like that, when we played peak Westley Stevenage. Where literally every challenge was a foul, everything was delayed, cynical, orchestrated delays at certain points in each half.

Some fans would say that's what we were like, but I just don't get that at all.

• edited December 2023

As an avowed avoider of trouble the only problem I can remember having since I have been in Bucks exile was a couple of young refreshed Derby fans asking me if 'I wanted some' as I passed the pub on the way to the home game last season. As I am a visibly old get I suppose I should be flattered they thought it was even a possibility that I did but by the look of them they had a short window before they would have been incapable so took the chance while they still could. We've all got 'em.

• We do, indeed, all have them. Some of the Chavs are worse than others but we could all do very well thank you if they simply disappeared.

• Just had a look at the stats. Just the 17 shots all game. Us 8, you 9. You had 1, the penalty, on target. Stats says we had 2, I thought 3. The goal, Cash's header and the ball that came off Wilson's thigh and was punted away a yard off the line by one of your defenders.

Those stats define how poor the game was. Hopefully, the return on April 6th will provide both sets of fans with more cheer them than we witnessed last weekend.

I'll pop back around that time. See you then.

• edited December 2023

Have a good Christmas Rammy. Our penalty by the way was as clear a penalty as you could ever see. Got his ankles clipped together at full speed.

And it's a shame if some coked-up virgins behaved despicably as it sounds as though they did. Folk like that generally tend to get what they deserve though, and sooner rather than later

• Yeah this new wave of Covid knobheads are particularly awful. It doesn’t help that the price of alcohol skyrockets whilst a gram of the white powder hasn’t shifted in value for 10+ years.

• Is there more security could do at the turnstiles about this kind of stuff?

• Couple of Old Bill and a sniffer dog would be fun to watch!

Anyway, my Xmas wish is that we get back to the good old days when people just got pissed at the football and there was never any bother.

• There was a sniffer dog at the entrance for Wycombe fans on Saturday

• I assume a sniffer dog can't detect someone having loaded up on scooby snacks pre bundling into the game. And only can detect it about their person?

• LX1LX1
    edited December 2023

There are some dogs that can sniff out a Manu glory boy apparently

• I did spot a sniffer dog at the away turnstile on Saturday

• Strongly disagree with this and so does Leahy judging by his reaction at the time.

He could and should have held that, it wasn’t struck particularly hard at him. Another option would have been to pat it down in front of him to then gather.

The worst thing to do in that situation is push it out right into the middle of the goal which is what he did.

It’s another error to add to a growing list this season.

• League 1 goalkeepers regularly make these sorts of ‘errors’. We have to be reasonable. Stryjek isn’t at the same level as last season but the last thing we need to do right now is drop him and damage his confidence. We know he’s a fantastic goalkeeper for this level. Get behind him and he will deliver for us this season.

• edited December 2023

Think the word fantastic is over selling him.

But he's certainly more than solid and agree with the rest of your sentiments.

• Were you at the game or making assessment based on slow mo replay? No way that was an error. Absolutely yes he had made too many errors recently

• Yes I was at the game and I have watched many replays since

Look at Luke Leahys reaction as it looks like he agrees with me

• Luke Leahy’s reaction very similar to mine which was “how can luck desert us like that? how are we going to come away with nothing from this?”. I don’t know what more you can expect Max to do with that. He’s pushed the effort aware, he’s not going to hold as it had too much power. Unfortunately the push away fell perfectly to their forward. That’s fortune going away from us, not an “error.”

Later on at the other end KVY’s cross/shot missed both McCleary and the goal.

I put both moments down to bad luck which makes the fact we came back even more encouraging.