Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Derby

Comments

• I can't stay even slightly irritated at you, so we're back on track if you'll have me.

I will imagine Micra's miracle is a more wisdom induced, catchier version of Toca's miracle (90s hit parade dance anthem).

• Also, the ref was fine. Made some bad calls and some good ones, no worse than we normally get.

The move to 5 at the back was deceiving too. It came at a time they were getting ahead, and any big change mixes things up. We didn't conced because of 5 at the back, we conceded because Max pushed it back out.

• I’m guessing L Taylor must have wound them up something chronic in the past, it can’t be just that he played for Forest, because GMac did as well, and I didn’t hear a sniff of booing for him.

Quite the gap between the reception that Keogh thought he’d get from the DCFC fans (according to his pre-game interview) vs the “booed at every touch” reception that he actually got.

Still - I guess suing the club for breach of contract (however justified) may well have that effect.

• Couldn't watch the match today, would just like to offer Derby fans who may feel hard done by.... absolutely nothing at all, get over yourselves you numpties, really hope you get back to where you belong though, cast off adrift at the bottom of the Prem with record low points and a range of local companies unpaid.

• Let’s call it fainites young sir. Being so young (relatively speaking) you’ll probably have to look that one up.

• Thought you were saying we were being a pair of fannies for a second, then quickly realised the gasroom HR department would be down on us, so can't be that.

So erm, quickly move on I think!

• So much better today….or was until we went back to a back three and looked the same as we have been in recent weeks. In the end though our spirit got us the point we more than deserved.

Well done lads - all of you - and Matt Bloomfield. We may have found something today as the 4-2-3-1 set-up was such an improvement.

However, we do lack the No.9 that can hold the ball up, run in behind, win headers and score goals. Those players aren’t easy to find but if we can find one this team could be a very different proposition to that we’ve seen of late

Would be interesting to know the reason for the switch back to three at the back. I Wonder if it was because Derby were starting to get on top or if Matt is ok with KVY as a wing-back but more reticent to have him as a right back. In the end, he was excellent, his best performance in a quartered shirt.

• Matt Bloomfield, Anis Mehmeti, Luke Leahy. The three Wycombe players to have scored at Pride Park. What a list!

• The view from our comms was that it was to match Derby going to 3 at the back - maybe that’s true, maybe it isn’t, but that seems a ridiculous reason to make the change to my mind.

• Trying to think the last striker we had that did all of that.

Maybe Keith Scott first time round?

• On today’s evidence, he really is much more a wingback than a full back. If he maintains that form, Jasper will struggle get a look-in - as a wingback, that is.

• I think Uche at his best wasn’t far off. Wasn’t great in the air but was still a handful because of his size. But he did score goals and could run in behind the defence so they had to be careful with a high line.

To his credit, David Wheeler showed the value of getting in behind at the end there.

I like Sam Vokes a lot but he’s never going to offer that and needs players to get close to him, which a 4-2-3-1 formation doesn’t necessarily provide.

It’s actually why the brief glimpse I had of Richard Kone in pre-season was so interesting because he did seem to have all that in his locker. Albeit, 25 minutes in July against Wealdstone isn’t exactly a vast body of evidence.

• Yes I think that’s fair. The good reviews he’s getting tonight are because of his attacking play rather than his defensive play (not that it was particularly lacking today - although on a couple of occasions players went past him too easily).

Whether it means he can play in a flat back four, which hopefully is the way forward, is not yet clear.

Although given the injury curse on our RBs this season he’s now the only one of our 4 right backs that is now fit. So we’ll probably soon find out.

• edited December 2023

Lots of positives today. A higher press. A 4 at the back formation allowing Leahey to be creative. Free roles for GMac and Phillips pulling their defence all over the place. A high tempo. Joe Low and Chris Forino very solid against excellent attackers.

And then we changed to 5 at the back and it went to crap again. Emptied out the midfield. Hitting the ball back to front. Slowing the tempo down. Inviting them onto us.

I get that we had to make personnel changes as Phillips was out of gas and Grimmer was injured but we clearly can’t play five at the back effectively. Low went from Rolls Royce to Reliant Robin. I have no problem with Keogh he’s a real club guy and gives his all but it just doesn’t work when we shoe horn him in the defence.

The penalty was great but it was a Hail Mary that paid off thanks to quick feet and a dumb defender.

Six more days for Vokes to get fit. Whilst he’s not prolific I feel he could link with Phillips and GMac far better than Taylor ever will.

As for VKY who was that guy? Unrecognisable from his previous few appearances.

• And that is why we do it. Wonderful

• Random parties kicking off in Derby right now

• From some of the recent reports it sounds like Freddie Potts isn’t far off a comeback from injury, that will strengthen us again and give us further options.

• Thanks to the two Wycombe fans who paid for my parking xx

• I think the 5 at the back was necessary with tired legs and Derby pushing on.

At that point we were happy with the draw and wanted men back. We were hardly an attacking force before that.

• edited December 2023

For context, Derby had won five in a row, with an aggregate score of 13-1. So although we did not look threatening overall, I am quite hopeful for this next stretch based on that performance.

• Of our next 10 games, only 1 is against a team in the top 10 (Lincoln at home).

Then we play 5 back to back against teams in the top 7.

An absolutely critical period to move away from danger.

• As much as I jumped for joy at the end I still feel we have no goal threat and to many passes backwards

• Did it really all go to pot when we made the subs. I’m not as tactically astute as many of you are, but I thought be continued to play well.

And having watched a replay, I think the ‘Max should’ve held it’ line is just following the narrative about his form this season - not many would hold onto that cross / shot.

• I note with great enthusiasm that Port Vale have what nearly, but not quite, qualifies as a MASSIVE GLAMOUR CLASH vs Boro on Tuesday in the EFL Trophy - I can only hope for a spectacular yet utterly energy-sapping performance of champions that leaves them utterly knacked for Saturday.

Huge game on the 23rd.

• I thought we were under the cosh too much before the subs / switch to a back five, and depending on whether you're in the Blooms Good or Blooms Bad camp, it either worked really well and earned us a point or cost us a goal and lost us two points.

• A difficult one, as I'm not sure it was one you can hold, but when you palm it straight out to someone a few yards out for an easy tap in, it can't be classed as great keeping either.

• Definitely not great keeping but not sure we should expect a division 3 keeper to hold that. Stocko used to palm stuff out towards onrushing strikers a fair bit - probably the weakest part of his game.

• We should absolutely get behind Stryjek. He’s a fantastic goalkeeper for this level and even 3-4 months of this form has not changed changed my mind.