Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• edited December 2023

I'm kind of assuming he wouldn't want to jump straight back in after a rough old ride at QPR

• This is where Matt earns his money. If he can turn this around he's a manager, if not it's over.

For what's it's worth I like direct combative low possession football, the Ainsworth years were brilliant. I think that style is the only way a small club like ours can compete.

• Best manager in which league? Certainly not the Championship. Look how QPR are performing with the new manager.

• If MB gets sacked then GA is getting the call, there should be no dreams that's not happening.

• I’m not as sure “MB will be a good manager in time.” Mainly because of the way football works. If things go further south and he gets the chop then I don’t see how he gets another EFL job to prove he can be a good manager.

Conjecture aside, I agree with the earlier comment that we can’t keep comparing the MB/GA situations and expect the same outcome. Completely different for the reasons mentioned and rightly or wrongly, expectations are elevated.

It’s starting to feel like a doom spiral now. An inexperienced manager that isn’t changing tack and is starting to clutch at straws and players that look lost. This has been compounded by some bad decisions and bad luck admittedly. but if things continue on the same trajectory the club will have to act.

I really hope it doesn’t come to that and we witness a miraculous recovery in this crucial month.

• Must admit I also think if MB goes we should go in a different direction (not GA) there are so many coaches/managers out there. But, if Gaz were to be appointed ( which will happen if the Couhigs are still here) then fine, I'll still be sort of happy, as long as we don't go back to the full on dark arts and time wasting !

• I've just heard from a Wimbledon supporting friend that we have a 35% sell on clause 2 with Al hamadi.

That should at least give us some funds to rebuild the team for an assault on the League 2 play-off places next season.

• I'd be amazed if Bobby C sacked Bloomfield, so I think we'll be relegated unless the club is sold very soon.

• Agree. Cannot see Couhigs sacking Bloomfield. They’re probably hoping like Bloomfield that the league change the rules and you get points for most passes in opposition half, more crosses, higher xg etc as opposed to scoring more goals to win games!!

• I think in his final season with us, we actually played attractive, effective football and the dark arts / game management wasn’t quite as frequent.

• edited December 2023

We aren't going to win any points for xG either, I suspect.

That's a big part of our problem - we don't even look like creating a chance, never mind scoring.

• edited December 2023

We keep losing by the odd goal - we aren't getting hammered. I don't think we are as far away as people think.

• It almost doesn’t matter though whether it’s “by the odd goal”, when we so rarely look like scoring.

As has been said on here before though, we had a decent spell earlier in the season, so it’s not like BloomBall has never worked - but can we rediscover the bits that did work?

• Rob Couhig may be many things but he is not stupid. It may get to a point where he will have to sack Matt Bloomfield. He may even already be at that point.

• LX1LX1
    edited December 2023

@ReturnToSenda

I would suggest not to claim fellow supporters are 'acting' and then claiming to know what they think.

Stick to smuggling drinks into revs son

• You'd need to be really stupid to sack a manager in December.

• I've been monitoring your every movement since you were born, looking after you at every turn, and making sure your future is secure.

• edited December 2023

I get what you are saying, and I agree that the goalscoring is the culprit. I think our last four results have been 0-1, 1-2, 0-1 and 0-1, so my point is basically that we don't have a big margin to overhaul. A little more threatening and clinical and those are all draws at least.

• Slagging Ainsworth off always seemed popular with some but he was brilliant for this club over a decade (if not in every single game) and knows exactly what is needed at our level, while there are obviously other managers out there I'd suggest that some of the more proven ones aren't going to touch us unless serious money is provided. We should bite their hands off if Gaz or Dobbo want back in, not that they would do if they thought Blooms wasn't given a fair run at it.

I think Blooms probably gets to stay while we aren't in the relegation positions or at least until one or two players are back fit and he can pick from his players again but it's not great, and I don't agree with some above, I think he would offer to go himself if he didn't think he was getting anywhere, even though that would take a huge hit on his future career prospects.

Also no need to give people stick for wanting Blooms to do well and hoping he can turn it round.

• Were Taff and Pattenden injured yesterday? Or dropped?

• Pattenden has a hamstring tear, will be out for a few months.. Don't know about Taff.

• Taff probably snapped in half while putting his boots on.

• Judging by Taff driving away from AP pre-match, I’d guess he wasn’t happy about not making the matchday squad.

I’m speculating that Bloomfield’s ‘you learn which players are prepared to fight’ comment last week might be related.

• I can’t get past the first minute of Bloomfield’s post match interview in case I throw my phone at a brick wall.

Camping out in their half, superior xG, great possession stats - get real man! I know what I just watched - the sort of team we used to crack up at, with their post match claims of superiority based on square passes round the back before lofting one hopefully towards the corner flag.

If he wasn’t a club legend, he’d be gone by now. The tragedy is that he shows no sign of understanding that there’s much wrong.

We barely made any serious headway at home against a bang average Shrewsbury side. Another ponderous performance and during the first half, comfortably the deadest atmosphere at AP for a league match in years. Fair play to the sparsely populated terrace for making a an effort in the second half.

• When did that come out? Very sad for Pattenden. His effort and endeavour had been a little bit of brightness.

• I read on ‘X’ that Pattenden had mentioned the grade of injury on comms and people have done the maths to work out what that likely means in terms of time on the sidelines. Agreed, his breakthrough into the first team has been a rare glimmer of light in a thus far dreary campaign.

• Bloody hell, it really is curse of the right backs this season isn’t it with Grimmer, McCarthy, KVY and now Pattenden all getting crocked.

Rarely have we had so much strength in that position and rarely has so much of it been on the treatment table.