Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• We go again of course.

Pick the starting 3 centre backs from a hat etc

• You can keep saying it but you're not correct. It very clearly came from the manager.

To suggest it just came from one player is as daft as those posters who said us winning was all about Dobbo. Seemingly based on Gaz missing a tiny handful of games I'll in his decade and Dobbo being in charge for a couple of wins.

• Yes, I was rather glad of having a cold today! The last game against Reading cost £42 for me and my son and the problems on the M40 made it a two-hour trip home...

• Wycombe Wanderers manager Matt Bloomfield has told the Free Press he ‘understands the fans’ frustration’ following a fourth league win in a row.

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/23979673.matt-bloomfield-fans-criticism-wycombe-lose/?fbclid=IwAR3HcQtDwXO54ssKw9g5VjqasnFObSUKUz3lT0neLnUx29-63TcBLHqbI70

Another BFP classic

• A much-needed laugh, but that's shockingly bad 😂

• Wow clearly a number of you watched a different game from me...

No we were not brilliant we were perhaps 6/10 but that was a vast improvement over our previous league games.

We passed the ball well today on the whole and showed clear intent to get into the opposition half if not the final third, the latter is where we are having huge problems with a complete lack of movement to present options to the ball carrier; this results in us recycling the ball to try and stretch the defence/create different angles (rinse & repeat ad nauseum) but the continued lack of movement ends up with us lumping the ball into the box in a sort of hit and hope option.

I am of the view that whislt theoretically the 3 CBs should give us greater defensive resilience the constant changing of personel is not helping, however it is not the fault of our attacking woes, adding another player to the midfield or up front wont help if everyone is just standing around waiting for the pass to feet etc.

Overall, I can see what MB is trying to achieve and we are getting there albeit too slowly for most of us, some new faces are probably required in Jan including a couple of decent wide me, a RWB and perhaps a striker with genuine pace.

• I went today and I’m glad I did. Her Indoors was a little peaky so opted to stay home in the warm with the TV remote. Whilst I could have joined her on the sofa, with a glass of port and decent wedge of Stilton, I would have had to sit through a Hallmark Christmas movie. You know the sort of thing, the band of players just phoning it in, an entirely predictable plot in which nothing interesting happens and an ending that is both dire and entirely predictable.

Oh wait…

• edited December 2023

I made the statistical case on it's own thread. It's a stark drop off as Bayo's career wound down. I never expect everyone to agree, but I didn't pull the argument out of thin air.

Not only that, but QPR players didn't even walk through paper curtains for GA.

• Love Matt. A total legend at the club. Which makes this so much harder to watch. We are so much better than this. The players don’t know their roles. They are not buying into what he wants from them. They look lost. He is not learning. He is not adapting. And performances reflect.

This is only going to end one way. And I hate it. I absolutely hate it. This is Alan Smith commitment, Tony Adams organisation, Neil Smilie passion.

Wake me up in April. I want this season over.

• I think he’s right about what he said about Vokes.

SV clearly did give us more physical presence, which we desperately needed (even though Wheeler does a credible job aerially), which drew their defenders out more and gave us somewhat more (‘somewhat’, mind) space to use up front.

Lyle Taylor is coming into a very tough situation, clearly not match fit and lacking match sharpness, and into a team low on confidence and poor at creating chances, so it would be harsh to judge him on performances to date.

But he doesn’t seem to be a magic bullet for our attacking woes this far.

Dale Taylor is a decent player - as I’ve said before, if he could bang them in on loan for a poor Burton side, he’s good enough for this level - but we’re just not getting the best of him. And no, the Tinpot doesn’t count, as U21 Prem sides are not indicative of what he’s going to come up against week in week out in the league.

I think Phillips is our most exciting attacking outlet at the moment, with his forward runs - but even those aren’t often seeming to result in end product in the final third.

• Lowest league Saturday home attendance since a League Two game Vs Yeovil in November 2017 today, by the way.

• I certainly wouldn’t want Ainsworth back but bringing Martin back and probably alongside Matt, maybe until the end of the season, may be a real good move.

• Martin and Dobbo looks entirely sensible to me!!

• I Went to watch Stoke Mandeville v Maidenhead Town finished 5-2 to the visitors didnt cost me a penny and was better than any match ive seen since Blooms took over.

• Another example of the mental gymnastics people will perform to avoid calling Bloomfield's head. Martin O'Neill in as co-manager is a ridiculous suggestion.

• Agree with @Erroll_Sims here. Recent performances have been dreadful and very worrying, but today was much better. We looked to get the ball forward quicker and generally seemed much sharper than previous weeks. We still lacked quality in the final third, but we had enough chances today to have won. Fans saying their keeper wasn't tested, not as much as we'd like perhaps, but he still made some decent saves.

Another awful result, but an improvement at least surely? Yeah, I know I'm clutching at straws, but at least there was some hope out there today.

• THERE ARE MANAGERS AVAILABLE WHO HAVEN’T PREVIOUSLY COACHED WYCOMBE

• QPR is a basket case club. They shouldn't be factored into any debate apart from ones about badly managed clubs.

• edited December 2023

Fair enough - but QPR have just won three in a row with a chap who just rocked up and inherited the basket case squad.

I should clarify I am not saying Bayo is the only reason for the late comebacks - GA definitely tried to set the culture and everyone played a part - I just think that as time goes by, the statistical spike of comebacks when Bayo was here compared to tame second halves after he left confirms what I felt to be the case with my own eye balls to begin with, and I have come to believe Bayo was more central to the comebacks than GA was, both as an irresistible unicorn of a player on the pitch, and an infectious leader off of it.

• A few months ago they stated in the Friday BFP that we were away the next day when it was at home. But this is woeful.

• I also want this season over. Watching Bloomfield turn this up for us is no fun for anyone.

• O'Neill at Forest was a classic example of a revered player returning as manager and it all turning to shit.

So he'd certainly have a lot to teach Bloomfield.

• edited December 2023

I am still Blooms in for now, but if we have to let him go, I agree with this - no need to be tied to the past in any way. If Mr. Wycombe could not create a fighting spirit, no need to recycle anyone else, but let's just get a tactically astute coach in, as long as it is not an obnoxious character.

• Wow that is amazing. Just us die hard fans now then lads. No need for a new road or a bigger home end stand, we just need to improve the on field performance or more and more fans are going to walk away.

I love Matt and he is a real Wycombe legend but this current situation needs sorting and quickly, or we are going to be in real trouble by Xmas.

• Not the "thumping" win I was hoping for. Not sure what to make of it. I'm torn between hope and despair. Quite clearly, Shrewsbury didn't overrun us and won the game with a superb strike. At times our passing was sumptuous but I never felt our threat levels warranted a cobra meeting. I'm the most passive of supporters but even I was compelled to exercise my lungs at times. My frustration was due to a perceived lack of urgency.

• Maybe the torrid run of results has been a diabolical master plan to solve the access issues by subtraction!

• At least Rob has promised fireworks on New Year's Day! They'll go down a treat after a 2-0 loss to Bristol Rovers.

• Disagree, I think O’Neill as manager with Dobbo as his assistant would keep us up.