Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Morecambe (FA CUP)

Comments

• edited December 2023

But that is his style - it doesn't work, evidently, but I don't think it's fair to knock him for following his own philosophy. It just hasn't worked out.

• I think they're the exceptions to be honest.

There is a much longer lost of managers that have been left in post too long and get their teams relegated.

I would love nothing more than to see Matt succeed. But the evidence all points the wrong way I'm afraid.

• The difficulty is judging when it won't get any better. Like it clearly wouldn't with Smillie,Smith and latter days Sanchez.

We're obviously not going to be pressing the sack button any time soon for all manner of reasons.

• I don't think Fergie is the best comparison here: United were at low ebb when he took over. We weren't at all.

• The FA Cup is a special competition to a lot of us on here, me included. It’s one of those competitions that has an abundance of excitement regardless of which stage of the competition it is. There’s the magic of the non-league sides, the giant killings, the memories it creates…for us, we have moments like the semi final run, the Spurs game etc.

To go out in the manner in which we did today…I’m just gutted. I don’t care to watch the highlights show this weekend. I don’t care to watch the post match interviews. To hear the excuses. To really even talk about it and try and rationalise anything. I’m just gutted.

Who knows what this defeat will mean for our season. It sums us up right now. Maybe it will give them the kick they need and they will go on a decent run. Or maybe we will look back on it come May and it won’t even be the lowest point of our season.

• Some people take football more seriously than others like if somoene takes their kids or grandkids they see it more a day out etc.

• Fine. He wants to play a different way. I accept that to a degree.

But surely it is obvious you don't completely overhaul a winning team? Instead, you slowly change over time.

'Evolution not revolution' should have been the approach.

• True - for me it is whether it improves with key players back. If we are seriously battling relegation, fair enough. No-one is bigger than the club.

• The most obvious problem to most of us is the gap between desire and reality. Bloomfield wants to play a fluid system of football with 3 centre halves playing football out from the back. The reality he gets is flat back 7 hoofing it up aimlessly to 3 inept forwards.

If I was Shrewsbury I would have my team talk written and ready to roll.

• edited December 2023

If you had asked me a month ago, even maybe a couple of weeks ago I would not have considered replacing Matt.

however, even allowing for the fact that we are missing some key players. It is clear that we are clueless and unmotivated on the field every single week.

Matts persistence in playing a system that continually fails miserably every week shows not a lack of experience, but a stubbornness, which is only gonna cost us dear.

we are losing and the standard of entertainment of the games is non-existent which is going to be very serious for our revenue stream In a cost-of-living crisis, and at Christmas An awful lot of supporters are going to vote with their feet.

The decision to extend his contract after a run of a few good games seemed bizarre at the time and foolish now. What was the point of doing this ? were we seriously going to be the victims of someone poaching him.? If we had been doing well maybe February :March was a time to look at such an extension.

if you look at his record since he joined as manager, he inherited a team that had won five games on the trot and turned that into a bad run the last three or four games, especially the last two home games of last season were absolutely appalling.remember we couldn’t win a game on a Saturday for an awful long time

Onto the start of this season we all know about our dreadful start. We seemed to pick up for a few weeks from September into October and now it’s back to the appalling Football we had to ensure at the end of the last season and the beginning of this

that to my mind is three bad runs

I think for the sake of the club Rob has to Weald the axe sooner rather than later

an experiment that went wrong

under Gareth, the team was more than the sum of their parts and would run through proverbial brick walls to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

i’m afraid under Matt who arguably has a better squad of players, the sum is less than the parts

I have followed Wycombe for many years. I am passionate about the club doing well and for most of the last six or seven years, it is literally been edge of the seat, stuff win or lose. At the moment I attend the game expecting to lose and my apathy has rapidly overtaken enthusiasm.

• Did RC mention much in the summer about aiming for promotion? I never expected us to challenge this season, but I wonder what his expectations were and if he's still invested enough to act decisively.

• And genuinely, does anyone know if Andrew Howard is still involved in WWFC? Or was he only ever an advisor anyway? I can't remember.

• If he's coming over on Tuesday it's unlikely just because he wants to see the Regent Street Xmas lights. This update he's giving fans in the bar may well contain an announcement about selling up to the Georgian. If so it's only right that any decision about replacing Matt be left to the next leadership team.

As far as I'm concerned he deserves far more time anyway, though I don't buy injuries as an excuse for the poor form. Every club has injury crises every season. The issue Matt has is not being able to teach the squad he's assembled how to play the way he clearly wants them to play.

• Absolutely superb post match interview with Jack Grimmer, he nailed it. Said what a lot of us are thinking.

• I am genuinely interested in how GA's availability is affecting the level of desire to turf MB out. I admit that there could come a point MB would have to leave, but I personally am concerned about the assumption that we would just open another can of Ainsworth. Things have a way of changing, and I have a feeling it would simply not be the same. I also love (for the sake of his legacy, not our season!) the way that GA went out on such a high, with five wins on the trot. I don't feel any confidence he would just come in and get things back how they were. Not only that, but Max's gaffe made me realize that I don't really want to go back to full-on dark arts either.

I just looked at the Peterborough thread from October 21st. It is interesting how the narrative has gone from "it is clearly working" to "it has never worked" in such a short space of time!

• Having been the bingo caller at the OWWSA Bingo night in the Caledonian suite on Friday night (BTW, many thanks to the 65 or so who braved a freezing night to come along) I am going to claim that I provided the best entertainment at the ground this weekend !

• Were there really only 6 shots combined today or is FotMob having a funny turn?

• Agreed - a real leader. I do however think that as much as the players need to take responsibility, so does the manager ultimately in how the players are set up.

I don’t believe anyone in the squad would go out and intentionally play like they did today, so sometimes the manager needs to help them out and play to their strengths in how they set up.

• For those of us that din’t hear it could you summarise?

• It’s nice to see players take a responsibility. Bloomfield can set up the team as much as he likes but surely Taff hitting 50 yard passes to nowhere or red shirts cannot be under his control.

• One thing an Ainsworth fanboy like myself has to accept is that QPR seem to be doing better without him.

Funny old game.

• This is the stupidest point. He's a busy presence who has a phenomenon touch who brings lots of people into play. We have seen how much we miss him with 3 players who can't fill up to what he did up top

• Plus football 35+ years ago is nothing like it is now.

• Also, managers will never be good if they aren't given the time. We've had a bad run, but there are much worse teams than us.

The Couhigs won't sack him unless we're in the bottom three and look done. We need to move on from GA, and there are few other candidates.

It's easy to say we need to crack on and wait for MB to learn, but it is harder when we're losing in -2 degrees week on week

• Forest would be fools to sack him in a season where it would take a conscious effort to get relegated ahead of Sheffield United, Burnley and Luton. Everton are trying with their points deduction but Dyche has turned them around. Plus they stuck with Cooper last year when they were rock bottom and he turned it around. He's actually earned some time.