Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Barnsley

Comments

• This is one of those learning moments for Matt tonight and in training this week. How he handles Max and the fallout from it may play a big part in how the rest of this season goes.

I’d drop Max and be expecting him to put some work in to regain that spot.

• What are we annoyed at Max for? That he enlists the type of gamesmanship we did all the time under GA?

That he does it badly and slowly?

I think he's pushed over, and almost every other ref would give a foul for that.

• I think Cosgrove’s reaction speaks volumes. He knows it was a foul, and it was. He didn’t celebrate, he just waited for the whistle. That said, Max has made himself look like a fool. I think some of the reactions on here are a bit ‘in the moment’ and I do think we should look to give Max a rest for a few games and see how Franco performs in the league.

• This ref was never going to give that as a foul given what he had let go during the rest of the game. Max played the dick & got caught out, he cost us the draw & deserves to be dropped for that.

Overall the team had worked really hard to keep them out & showed some spirit (if not much confidence) to be let down in that way is so fucking disappointing.

I hope Blooms is as honest in his post match as he was on Saturday...

• Totally embarrassing. Should be dropped immediately. To be fair, the way we are playing at the moment, we are sleep walking into relegation. We have a manager who seems wedded to one system but we don’t have the players to play it. Totally ineffective in creating chances. Unless things change dramatically, this could end badly. Playing like this, just watch the attendances drop of a cliff at home.

• All the terrace pricks singing ‘time wasting bastards’ …. This is what you get. Utterly shameful stuff … it wasn’t a pretty performance but it was a great defensive display. All for nothing.

• Nonsense Alan. It's a dreadful piece of goalkeeping and he has completely cost his team.

• The thing is, Max didn't protest for several steps either, and for someone famously hotheaded, it was a bit of a lame protest at that.

• I don’t believe it’s possible to push a 6’3” goalie over with your pinkie finger, even if you are also “running” towards him slower than Keogh in treacle. Absolutely not a foul.

• edited November 2023

I didn't think I'd see anything more embarrassing at a football game tonight than Max throwing himself to the ground and coughing up the ball, but the penalty just awarded to PSG is pretty embarrassing too. How, just how?

• Either way, a foul is ultimately what the ref says it is, and there is a big difference between a gentle push and a hard shove, and this was the former. If Max had just stumbled a bit he might have been given the free kick, but his reaction was like he was on one of those harnesses for 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon'.

• Yep, spoke volumes. Strolled off thinking how cheeky he'd been to put it in. Then disbelief the ref has allowed it.

• I think this is because he assumed it was going to be given as a foul.

• Max is wasting time, bends down the pick the ball up and is pushed over.

You can see Cosgrove push him and move his hand back after. He doesn't even celebrate.

• Probably because it's the sort of thing that's so obviously given as a foul he didn't think he needed to protest. Then it dawned on him hard.

• 23rd in the form table and only heading one way at the moment. Pre season claims of going for promotion are already looking interesting... More likely to be troubling the bottom 4 than the play offs.

• He automatically thought he'd get the free kick..... All he's done is deny us a point and make himself look an absolute twat!!!

• Unfortunately he's done similar before, seems to enjoy the silly stuff around when he hangs onto it or picks it up at the last second, waste the odd second and all that shit too much, he had a little "save a minute dive" seconds earlier. Pick your times.

Hasn't been good enough at job 1 - keeping the ball out the bloody net recently. Caught out screwing about. Simple as.

Not convinced it was a foul. If the striker didn't celebrate it's because he was probably wondering what the hell happened.

• I reckon it's got something to do with him needlessly dropping the ball and handing them a goal

• edited November 2023

The fact the forum is divided over whether it was a foul is a good indication that Max was playing with fire by pushing all of his chips to the middle of the table.

• Have the people calling it a foul watched the replay? If that’s a foul there would be 1000 fouls per game and a corner would result in 20 players getting booked.

• edited November 2023

Realistically if that happened anywhere else - if someone is bending down then gets pushed over, it would be a foul

• We all really need to give our heads a wobble.

Max is a 6'3" pro athlete who had both feet frimly planted on the floor, that is not easy for anyone to knock down with what was no more than a fairly gentle push from Cosgrove; Max was looking for the free kick rather than trying to get on with the game; all he had to do was lean into Cosgrove & it would have been a nothing moment.

• Nah not this time. Defending the indefensible. He dives. It’s called cheating. He just wasn’t very good at cheating. He’s made us a laughing stock and has cost us.

• He doesn’t get pushed over. Cosgrove has stopped jogging by the time he goes down and slightly touches Max.

• What we can all agree on is that it was an utterly mental risk to take.

Comfortable, 90mins past, Barnsley not particularly building a head of steam and on track for a solid point.

Losing like that is almost worse than a comfy drubbing.

• edited November 2023

Everyone is focused on a mistake which has caused us to drop one point. I understand this is the ‘match day thread’, but if you review the last month or so…

What about the fact we have three points in our last seven games? Our manager is repeatedly forcing the same tactic which is, not only dysfunctional, but also producing steadily worsening performances across a large sample size of games. Fail to adapt = get deservedly punished.