Skip to content

Best formation?

I know the smart answer to this is - we will play many formations - and we don't know for certain we've now signed all our attacking players, but given where we are I'm wondering what formation and players would be people's first choice.

I was a massive advocate for a balanced, simple 4-4-2 last season and this year we've even signed the wingers that will make it work best, but I'm now minded to think I'd actually like to see a 4-3-3 similar to how England set up (but ideally with more success).

Keeper | Jombati, Stewart, Pierre, Jacobson | O'Nien, Rowe, Harriman | Weston, Southwell or Hayes, PCH

When Akinfenwa comes on we move towards a 4-4-2 or even a 4-2-3-1.

Any better thoughts and suggestions?

Comments

• That last one, are you suggesting he plays as a lone striker?

• edited July 2016

Yeah, in a route one way, but only to hold the ball up for the three attackers running in behind him.

• Back 4 a given, rest of the team very hard to plot now.

Wood or Weston left?
    Paris or Harriman right?

5 others can play centre mid, O Nien a given, but then with Bean? With Rowe? Presumably Blooms and McGinn will be the backups. If Paris starts right, where will Harriman fit in?

Up front, Thommo and Hayes clearly didn't work well, although we didn't have the pace around them that we can now field.
    Will Southwell come in early on? Paris up front? The Beast?

Not as many "fillers" who won't get a chance as other seasons which is good.

• Yeah, lone strikers have to be really mobile

• I'd like to see a 4-3-3 with Harriman and O'Nien ahead of Rowe and a front three of PCH, Hayes and Weston.

• Id like to see Rowe/ Bean sit deep in front of the back two of Pierre and Stewart. That is a very solid platform that allows full backs to push forward, almost becoming a back three with wing backs when we go forward. With 3/4 proper wingers available to play in front of them, we should be threatening from wide positions.

To my mind we have to play with either akinfenwa or Paris up against the centre backs to try and win the first ball. Hayes and Thompson were no good as target men and Sothwell doesn't appear to have the physique from there. If we can win enough knock downs then from there, I'm sure we will see a variety of forward line-ups with different wingers and strikers feeding off the second ball.

Very frustrated with Hayes last season and surprised he got a 2 ye deal but with some pace and power in front of him, he may get more room to play in a deeper role.

I expect we will be fairly direct and look to get the ball forward early. Can't really see much time being afforded to someone like McGinn playing through midfield.

• I really think Thompson only has a role to play as an impact sub right winger next season. For his age his pace is still actually quite decent, and that is his strongest position. We have better options to start up front and in that position, but he still has something to offer.

• Be interesting to see how wide the pitch is this year. That should give us a clue about whether we'll be playing out wide

• Let's hope they widen the pitch and play to the wingers to cross or run at the defence instead of the ol' hit and run bullshit we got towards the end of the season....

• The pitch will need to be widened to fit Akenfenwa on.

• edited July 2016

There's a video with a load of Southwell's goals. And whilst it's at a low level, three things are clear: he's a great poacher, he can score from a variety of areas and can score from set pieces.

So, I'd like to gamble with him as lone striker, 4-2-3-1, utilise the wings, attacking fullbacks.

Southwell
    Weston - Hayes - PCH
    O'Nien - ??? (Best Holding Midfielder)
    Jacobson - Stewart - Pierre - Jombati
    GK

Who plays in the Hayes, central attacking midfielder, role and holding midfielder role would be flexible depending on form.

• It's a pretty big ask for someone to come from the Conference North straight into the role of a lone striker in League Two. I feel he would perform much better having someone experienced like Hayes, Akinfenwa or Thompson to play off.

• It would be a little much to leave him stranded up there on his own in the early games, but that video on YouTube also shows he's not averse to running head on at the opposition's defence. I'm really looking forward to seeing him play.

• @Chairboy73 I like that team selection and agree that if Rowe could continue what we saw the last few games than he would start alongside O'nien as opposed to Bean who would be good cover. Difficult one but Harriman or PCH on the right ?

• If as I believe Weston is an out and out winger, I am not convinced you can play 442 with two out and out wingers - PCH and Weston. If you want to play 442 have to have at least one more defensive minded wide midfielder - Harriman or Wood filling one of the roles. Or you play a 451 with both wingers.

If Harriman doesn't play wide midfield, Harriman or jombati for RB - harriman for me.

• We will clearly have a much stronger bench this season - Wood, Thompson, Akinfenwa, Bean (or Rowe), McGinn, Bloomfield, maybe Jombati.

I hope we see subs used more often and earlier - it's one of the major re-evaluations Ainsworth has, I hope, made this summer (let's see if he's also widened the pitch and plays less hoofball!)

• Dev, we did pretty well with Guppy and Carroll