Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Bolton

Comments

• Unfortunately individual errors are costing us. Max certainly to blame for the first and seemed slow off his line for the second. The penalty could have been saved. Keogh , what was he doing for the fourth. Complete lack of pace. What must Taff be thinking that a 38 year old gets in front of him. Second half we were much better but lacking any intensity in the first.

Might as well give all the Player of the Season awards to Potts now. Absolute class.

• The second goal was also his fault. Ball was there to be claimed in his area and he stood still, let the attacker take a touch, and then ran out.

• edited October 2023

yes, Max has to take the blame for the first one of course

as for the other goals , the second was a route one ball over the back of our defence. Can’t quite see how you can blame Max for that when he was left one on one

The third atrocious lack of marking by all of our big players at the back. BTW, whatever happened to the good old practice of having players on goalposts at corners That would’ve also solved the problem with the first goal on Saturday as well.

as for the fourth goal, unfortunate, it was Richard up against him as I think we all know he’s not exactly built for speed therefore no surprise he was beaten for pace and he did what he could only do, which was give away the penalty.

To blame Max for not keeping the penalty out when he managed to get a good hand on a well struck penalty into the corner. Sorry you’ve got me on that one!

• I thought the corner was really well executed. Love to see that sort of thing, which shows work going in on the training ground and being converted on the pitch.

• Worst game he's had for us I thought think. Calamity for the first goal (although exposed by an absent midfield and Keogh's dreadful positioning) and then on the second he absolutely has to come out and take the ball but hesitates and makes it an easy finish.

Max is a great shotstopper but had a really terrible game tonight. It happens.

• The game tonight reminded me a bit of the 4-2 defeat to Notts County in 17/18. Shambolic first half followed by a spirited comeback before the visitors found their second wind and snatched the points out of our hands at the death. I can't see us going on to win automatic promotion this season, but our second half performance has plenty of positives we can take from it.

• Overall thoughts...

...they made 3-4 chances you'd expect to hit the net. We made 1. Not sure on the XG but I imagine they'd be well ahead. So we can't really argue with the outcome. I think it probably points to our biggest weakness, which is that we don't really have strikers that can make chances for themselves.

Annoyingly, however, most of their openings came from poor defending from us. We never worked out how to deal with the ball dropped in over Keogh's head, which caused problems all game. Second half we stopped them playing that pass for most of it but I'd like to have seem Low moved to the middle of the back 3 or Stryjek step up and play a more aggressive sweeper keeper role. Keogh was left badly exposed.

I did think the 2nd half tactics were exceptional and turned round a game where we were well behind. They only have 10 mins to get a lot of information across at HT but managed to totally reverse the pattern of the game. Big tick for whoever was on tactics board duty. Stopping 5 passing to his other two centre backs really posed Bolton problems. It felt like we won the ball back on hallway repeatedly by laying a trap for him to play a poor ball out from the back.

On the other hand, if Bolton play that way every week (?) then we really should have been setup to do that from the start.

• Listening to Grimmer on comms, Bolton did a job on us 1st half, playing much deeper than we expected. We were still poor, but credit to them for the switch. 2nd half we were much more like ourselves, played some great stuff and deserved a point at least. Give away 4 goals like that though and you don't have a chance! An entertaining, but hugely frustrating evening.

• Another day the individual mistakes don’t happen and the result is different. The first half was chalk and cheese compared to Saturday. It was Exeter waiting to happen. We were so sloppy as a team and as individuals it was horrible. After half time that 25 minutes was as good as it gets. Back to 2-2 just concentrate, do the basics, retain possession, build again. No. Let’s leave a man totally unmarked at a corner. Fucks sake.

The penalty is one of those things. Maybe organisation was the problem in so much Keogh should not be left to get in a foot race with their striker. Just a thought

• Looking at the stats, Bolton 4 shots on target. That's how bad are defending was.

• edited October 2023

Well that was a roller coaster of emotions.

disclaimer: This is not a dig at the manager, but my personal constructive opinion based on 40+ years of watching football.

I think this sort of result is 100% the sort of result we have to understand and accept will happen with a Matt Bloomfield manager at this stage of his managerial career.

I am truely a believer that football teams reflect their manager in many ways that sometimes they can’t completely coach out of the team. At this moment there is a mistake or two and a spot of naivety in the team which results in silly goals given away. And while there is a wealth of experience in the squad, there is also a lot of inexperience. There is also combination within the managerial team.

Now, the opening sentence does come across as rather damning, but Matt and his team are only just over a year into there managerial careers together and it would be foolish to think they’ll get it right first, time everytime. We have to accept that. And coming up against experienced managers may mean they can turn a game away from us in the last 10 minutes. Again, we have to accept that will happen.

Putting my positive hat one, I’ve seen enough in the last few weeks to see Matt and his Team are on a more upward trajectory. And indeed to come back like we did last night is testament to lessons learned in the first two games of the season. There’s just some more lessons to learn in that last 10 mins.

I am excited about what MB and his team can do here. We just have to be patient and understand when we lose like we did last night, or go on a fruitless run. While I think there’s a niavety, mistake or potential to just being out thought tactically in Matt as manager at the moment, I also think he’ll learn, grow and improve into an even better manager because of it

Mistakes were made last night. But it’s not the end of the world. They’ll all learn and improve and get stronger. Hey, GA made a heck of a lot of mistakes in his first few years. But he grew. Mistakes on their own don’t make a team or manager a bad one.

I guess the tl:dr is:

”we’ll win some, we’ll lose some. Onto Oxford on Saturday”

• Cheers shev, you looked good in that spell after the break and it’s clear you were under par first half but you definitely have enough for a play off spot and from afar it’s clear Bloomfield is doing a first class job. Good luck for the rest of the games, other than one of course!! 🥴

• To be fair Congo you didn’t actually see us at our best either. The changes Evatt made to counter your more physical approach actually stunted our usual fluency and particularly affected our two strikers who were nothing like themselves but fair play to Evatt, it worked but I think against Charlton on Saturday we’ll be back to our normal set up. I still think there’ll be two Wanderers in the top six on last nights showing even though this time it went our way. Goal of the night definitely Leahy though, what a shot that was. 👍

• I'm not usually one to moan about catering, but the family stand kisok had run out of hot chocolate last night. Not a disaster for me, but pretty disappointing for my 7 year old who doesn't have any other options for a hot drink on a cold October evening.

Walked down to the other end and discovered that they'd not only also run out, but they also didn't have any tea left! I'm genuinely bewildered as to how a proffesionally run club runs out of tea for a midweek game. Even more astonishing is that this isn't the first time it's happened - we tried and failed in the cup game against Sutton. I can't believe that there's a single non-league ground in the country where you can't get a cup of tea at half time.

When Rob took over he told us that he couldn't do the work of the players on the pitch, but that he'd garuntee you'd have good food and drink. It's one thing to take that with a pinch of salt, but my word has that bar been missed. I literally couldn't give the club more of my money last night.

• They didn't have any milk at one end either

• That’s really poor @ReturnToSenda

From a distance it looked like the keeper was goading the fans behind the goal after Bolton’s third, but that doesn’t excuse the behaviour.

As an aside, it there anyway to display the ‘tweet’ without us having to click onto the cesspit of later day ‘X’?

• I think you have to have an account now, but I can post a screengrab

• edited October 2023

For context. A group of about 10 young lads down the front were giving all sorts of abuse to their keeper at 2-0 and 2-1 down. The usual stuff. Nothing humorous or witty. Just a load of swear words. The keeper did nothing to retaliate. At 2-2 a few others in the terrace got stuck into the goalkeeper. It became marginally more socially acceptable given that Bolton had thrown away a two goal lead. At 3-2 down once again their goalkeeper did not respond to our fans when he was well within his right to dish it back. Then, as they scored their fourth, the game was now won and their goalkeeper dished it back to our lot down the front. Once he’d turned around to focus on the last few minutes of the game and he’d walked to the penalty spot, one of our young lads threw an empty coke bottle toward the goalkeeper. As it was empty, it didn’t even get past the byline, it was nowhere near the goalkeeper, who was never threatened anyway. Totally bizarre.

• @Glenny when you can get a reasonably decent hot drink at a garage and coffee franchises everywhere I do find it hard to believe a football club can't provide a decent beverage these days. Certainly disappointing.

• Fans goad goalkeeper, goalkeeper goads fans, idiot chucks stuff.

• 🎵 It's the circle, the circle of life 🎵

• Milk you can almost forgive due to shelf life (not that there aren't alternatives) but bulk tea bags cost sod all and it's such an easy mark up, if they don't have them it isn't just annoying it's turning away money. Sounds like someone was just too lazy or disorganised to nip round to somewhere else, doubt they ran out in the boardroom

• Goon fans being incapable of taking anything back from players after dispensing tonnes of foul abuse is one of the more ridiculous elements of football.

There was one moment yesterday where maybe our keeper absolutely lashed it into an opposition players face knocking him to the floor.

Some genius in a nearby block (who thinks he's some kind of country geezer with a silly cap) was fuming about it "Not being a head injury", despite the ball utterly smashing his head.

• Someone clearly didn't have a very good grasp of the laws of physics!

• This is all very fair. You could almost say, 'never too high, never too low.'

• I think @micra is a goons fan. I like all the goons that are not Harry Secombe

• Phew!! For a moment I thought you were accusing me of being an Arsenal fan.

Yes, back in the late ‘fifties a couple of us on detached duty in the Meteorological Office at RAF Uxbridge were in digs in Honeycroft (?) Lane. Our landlady heard us talking about the Goon Show and decided one evening to tune in. After a few minutes, she clucked her tongue a couple of times and “click”, turned it off.

Bit rude, we thought.