Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Charlton

Comments

• Probably fair to admit Charlton have a very good squad, should be doing much better.

• Vokes had about 8 touches all game, we could have played me up front to similar effect. @micra you're not alone in your Vokes frustration - for me he had one good season with us and has been coasting ever since. This season I’m not seeing any point to him being on the pitch at all.

• Still significant work to do defensively but the team is evolving. We’ve played worse and won already this season and I’m sure we will again

• I like Vokes, but it's not happening for him, bench him give Taylor or Tjay a go.

• @arnos_grove The stadium announcer had more than a bit of Boycey about him...

• Some nice stuff from us today but we let ourselves down in both boxes. Made to pay for missed chances and sloppy defending.

• edited September 2023

Surprised that anyone's first thoughts on watching that game is to ditch Vokes.

• Why? We need someone who can create chances for themselves and put away the chances others provide. Vokes can do neither of those these days.

• I guess it comes down to results. He has 8 touches (not my stat) and no clear chances, 1 goal all season and hardly can be described as an effective strike threat. So yeah I would rest him. Either of our strikers (2 goals between them all season) get a goal today and we see a different game. Plenty of endeavour so a participation badge for both.

• Quite happy with that performance - certainly not the result - but think if we play like that every week we will be up there. Had some poor moments and officiating horrendous.

• After the tribulations of getting the stream working, a frustrating end to a game I think we had more than earned at least a point from (definitely going by the second half). If you forced me to find positives our play is getting more cohesive as the squad is slowly but surely understanding their roles better, though the defending for the second was laughable. Boyes was horribly exposed by Leahy and Potts not getting back into position.

The "offside" given for a player not remotely troubling play was a shocking decision, but we lost our heads and gifted them a third.

If last week was the "swings", this was definitely the "roundabout".

• Some excellent performances. Some excellent play. Save 3 defensive moments that were some where between embarrassing and amusing. And yes the officials had a brain fart on the GMac moment but prior to that the ref had been pretty good with letting play go. Did we mentally switch off as a result? Just need to get that round white thing closer to the rectangular wooden thing. Five strikers 3 goals all season.

• Thought we played really well today personally. I’m pleased. I think we will be bang up there late on this season. 35+ to go. We’ve got some fantastic talent this season.

• Was looking forward to going today, set out as normal, usual route, M4, M25, M11, A13. Park at the same place every time I go there. Was within a few miles of the ground when everything stopped - and didn't start again. Blackwall Tunnel closed. So turned off, trying to find an alternative route over or under the river. Chaotic everywhere. Somehow missed the Rotherhithe tunnel. Ended up going over Tower Bridge. From there on it was a nightmare. Totally gridlocked. Finally gave up when I realised I was never going to make it. Headed back towards home - through London. More chaos. And we lost. Still, Freddie's goal sounded like a good one 🙂

• edited September 2023

Why the thumbs down?

Just relating the story of my day. Not happy.

• I was there today and I must say I was also suggesting Vokes gets rested by the time he was subbed off. He doesn't seem to have the pace or the positioning he used to. Given our wingbacks play so deep (though Wheeler and Boyes were barely wingbacks today), Vokes isn't getting the sort of crosses he thrives on, those cut back from the byline. Whacking it long to him and playing him as a Bayo-style target man isn't really working this season. But I'm not sure what the alternative is in the squad we have. Taylor is too small, De Barr is unconvincing, Hanlon and McCarthy only really able to play wide attackers. Wheeler is probably the best option we have - but it would be a brave call to drop a fit Vokes to play Wheeler as centre forward.

• Not sure why someone "downed" you.

Sounds a miserable day. You're brave to try and park anywhere near there.

I've been there three times I think.

The one on a Saturday 3pm by coach was a nightmare, arriving late job. Not helped by I think a Robbie Wiliams concert at the o2?

• Woeful defending, bizarre offside call on Taylor and barely creating a chance of note would be my bigger factors than blaming Vokes. I'm not sure there's many traditional target men who'd thrive in today's service.

• A Vokes and Hanlan partnership does not seem to work. Hanlan rarely gets on the end of a flick and Vokes does not have the legs to drop deep, lay it off and get himself back in the middle again. Vokes and GMac are both intelligent players so maybe they are the two to play up top. Hanlan does not seem to thrive wide. Not sure what Taylor's best position is. TJay is a cameo player at the moment. Phillips does not seem like much of an option either. He needs to calm the feck down in every aspect of his game. I know he is keen but when eager becomes incompetent someone needs to put a hand on his shoulder and say 'cool it'. Net result their subs good, our subs bad and on that the game turned.

• Agree completely on Phillips. Seems to get too hyped up and do everything too quickly. Maybe just keen to make an impression but has it all to do so far to show what he's about.

• Last time I went and parked at Canary Wharf. Got a boat to Greenwich, had lunch, got a bus to the valley. A bit convoluted but pretty stress free and some great food at Greenwich market

• Which is why I mentioned needing a forward who can create for himself. Just standing around up top waiting for something to bounce off you is not cutting it.

• Cheers @Malone

Really straightforward journey for me usually. I park down on one of the industrial estates between the main road and the river. An absolute dive, but I always get a space, costs nothing, and my car's never been vandalised.

One time I was there, I could hear what sounded like a gospel-style church service going on in one of the warehouses. At the end, they all walked out in their Sunday (well, Saturday) best clobber.

You can walk right down to the Thames from there. Took this photo last season.

• Without wanting to sound wise after the event for those that decided to drive today - as I’m full of sympathy for everyone that’s had a nightmare today. But I’d highly recommend taking the Elizabeth Line for future games at Charlton as it’s made the train journey much, much easier.

Jump on somewhere like Taplow, Slough or Maidenhead, stay on all the way to Abbey Wood at the end of the line and it’s only two stops to Charlton on the local overground service.

• @Theatre_of_Chairs Sounds like a plan for next time (if there is a next time). Thanks for the tip.

• Nothing good ever happened Saaaaf of the river.