Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Charlton

Comments

• I thought Vokes was ok but much less dynamic than Hanlan and McCleary. McCleary is absolute class and I love watching him play- Hanlan was causing them a lot of trouble running in behind and Vokes was quite important at retaining possession down the middle. I think Phillips might have preferred to play with Vokes rather than the two quicker forwards but he did show strong desire.

we look to be playing a much more open style and we should have scored more goals when on top in the second half. Ultimately if we’re gonna play that open we’ll give the opposi to on chances and they took them today. But it was en entertaining game.

• Always check the Elizabeth Line is actually working! Ever since they connected the whole line it has been atrocious...

Onto the game, I thought it could have ended quite differently. Vokes, McCleary and Wheeler all came close. In a relatively tight game getting the lead would have been huge.

Charlton's wingers were a handful and they did us several times with a sort of double overlap. Both the full back getting beyond the winger, and the another central midfielder shuffling round on the overlap, gave us some real problems. They were able to use it to get to the byline and found goals from those positions. In previous games we've largely prevented that and forced teams to cross from deeper positions, which we look more comfortable with.

I thought Potts was good in general but got it all wrong for the second goal. He has to react and go with the overlapping player rather than sit with the man on the edge of the box. Poor defending.

McCleary was absolutely superb and seems to really be fired up at the moment. He consistently looks like he's going to make something happen.

• I thought the midfield played well today, lots of neat first time passing and spreading the ball out to the free man more times than not.

I did worry about Low and Forino being so far forward opening up us to the counter and it did cost us their second goal

I can almost start to see what we are trying to do now, if Vokes can find some of his early form, it could really click. There aren’t too many options if he can’t though. Uche would certainly be one though if we could only get that deal over the line.

• We were way better than we were at Bristol Rovers or Northampton, but that’s just the way it goes sometimes.

• I got plenty of stick for saying a few weeks ago I'd swap all our forwards for Ikpeazu. While I was obviously being a bit facetious and we can't know how another forward would be performing, it does feel like we lack either a poacher to work alongsid Vokes, or someone with the brute force to bundle the ball in or create a chance from nothing.

• If Uche can get fit and is motivated he'd be an asset for sure.

• Have to agree about Potts wrapping round late on. Defensively; you can’t learn more from anyone than Josh. On the ball, we are very lucky to have Potts. Superb player.

• Quite enjoyed today's game despite the defeat. Below par first half, but we really responded well in the 2nd half.

There's been a couple of games we've won that could have gone the other way, today we lost when we could easily have won.

• Could have gone either way today when it got to 1-1. If we score again I think we win. Instead our pressure failed to convert into a really good chance and we get hit on the break.

On to Saturday, this team is actually improving as we go and we can see it in front of us.

Caveat…someone needs to start sticking the ball in the net with regularity…Vokes, Hanlan, Taylor…I don’t mind who!

• What’s all this about on the Facebook page, are we literally fighting among ourselves in the stadium now?

Also can someone explain what the 1887 is? I’ve not managed to get down so far this season, is it some kind of league 1 ultras movement or something???

• We wernt great 1st half today,but 2nd half I thought we played pretty well until the goals. McCleary and Leahy were the standouts. Can't believe the grief Vokes is getting ! Again, he gets absolutely no service whatsoever, instead is expected to flick on for others, which is great if the said others know what they are doing, unfortunately the others up front with him don't quite have the same brains. It's no coincidence to me that we lost it after he was taken off today.

Anyhow I think we were quite unlucky today and 2nd half deserved a better result, we are what we are atm, a mid table team.

Still not sure about Phillips, every time he comes on all I see is him moaning at other players for not passing it to him.

Is it just me that thinks Leahy is a bit wasted in defence ? He should be In the midfield, a midfield of him, Josh and Potts for me.

• The Vokes criticism is not on him. He’s not missing chance after chance. He’s not performing in the system we play with the players around him. We either need to change the tactics or the man, I think it has to be the man. He’s a player who scores goals from crosses, we don’t do crosses, so he don’t score goals. It’s no more simple or complicated than that.

• Did not see the game but don't worry folks, I am assured that performances are more important than points at this stage of the season.

• We don’t do crosses? We had 6 corners today and I assume there might have been a couple from open play. I was only able to watch the last half hour. It’s nearly always someone else’s fault, according to various Gasroomers, that our strikers don’t score many goals.

• The Charlton TV Panel at half time showed plenty of examples of us crossing in the first half, so maybe it’s the delivery from these that is not good enough for Vokes

• Vokes had a decent game I thought, his hold up play was good, as it usually is. We put in plenty of crosses, but they were a mixed bag quality wise. We seemed to lose a bit if momentum when Vokes went off and Hanlan was moved up front. Looked more dangerous again when Taylor came on, but that was very late.

I've not really been won over by Phillips yet, but I thought he did OK during his brief appearance. A clear penalty on him at the end. He lifted his leg to shoot and was clipped by the defender. Astonished the ref booked him for diving. Yes his reaction wasn't great (I thought he was going to get himself sent off), but can well understand his frustration.

• It’s interesting that the post-match discussion focuses on the merits of Sam Vokes when our defending yesterday was so comical they ought to have been wearing clowns outfits.

• ☝️ POTD

• Yeah that 2nd goal especially was awful defending. Gave it away twice cheaply in quick succession, then didn't do anything to prevent a very obvious overlap that was developing.

We did play well at times and yes we had a few decisions go against us, but we can't complain too much when we gift goals like that at a time we were in the ascendancy.

• Some of the reason for that might be that our defending has NOT been terrible all season, our attacking threat from our named strikers has been non-existent though. We can't have our jewel in the crown striker scoring so few goals for the second season in a row.

There is a hint of Gormania with Bloomball. Gormania had strikers who would consistently score goals.

• poor defending for first two goals but think that’s an unfair assessment overall.

• Strikers only have to get it right once or twice a week, defenders have to be on it all game, harsh but fair.

• Just thought I would make an account to share my vlog for those interested and share some thoughts.

I was really happy with the result, I feel you lot are always a tricky side to play and were bang in-form so it was nice to walk away 3-1 winners.. although it was a fairly flattering scoreline.

Felt the first half there wasn't much in it, we had a few better chances and it paid off. Second half you started off strong but I think our subs swung the game massively. Thought in particular we had a lot of luck on the wings.

I am always impressed by your squad strength based on your budget, always have really decent players and from what I understand you have a very small budget.

Look forward to the return tie and hope to speak to some of you at the game, for those I speak to thanks for your time and really appreciate you letting me get yous in my video, were all a great laugh and it's what football is all about, banter without all the agg :)

• https://youtu.be/LXdrEYQx6dI?si=WYK7BjdpAsF21BQp

the YouTube link for anyone interested or find my channel at YouTube.com/@Braziliance

Will of course be doing a match day Vlog for the game at Adams Park. Will be sure to visit the site again and get some ideas of what people may want to see in the video and if people want to meet before the game to have a chat etc. Mainly for my intro I'd be looking to try and include any historic landmarks of the surrounding area if anyone has any ideas..

Commiserations again and good luck for the rest of the season, my favourite group of fans I've interacted with at the Valley this season

• Cheers @Brazil - I've always liked Charlton and their fans, which numbs the pain of losing a little! Best of luck to you the rest of the season aside from the very last day!

• Nice one @Brazil. Thought that Charlton were much the better team in the 1st half, but we came back strongly in the 2nd half.

A really enjoyable day out, had a couple of beers with a few home fans before the game and despite the defeat, the match itself was hugely entertaining. I look forward to the return at Adams Park. Let's hope we're both competing in the top half at that point!

• Let's hope there's something to play for at least for one of us so it's not a dead rubber game. Nothing worse than an end of season dead rubber match.

That's pretty much how I viewed it, thought Gareth McCleary (as usual) was causing us a lot of issues. What a player he has been in the championship and league 1, at 36 as well still looks as energetic as ever.

Your centre back Christian Forino looked quite handy. Noticed a few of your fans say he had a bad game but I got the impression he's usually a good player? I was wondering where Ryan Tafazolli was, really rate that bloke and think he's one of the better centre backs at this level.

That's good to hear you were able to sit and drink with Charlton fans, typically speaking we are a decent bunch. We have got some wallies who spoil it like every club, but we are quite an accommodating/welcoming set of fans.

• @Brazil the ‘Hellfire Caves’ are near Adams Park

• McCleary has been in great form recently. If we can get him on the ball running at defenders, as we managed to do 2nd half, he's still a high quality player.

Tafazolli is out injured at the moment, along with fellow defenders Grimmer and Jacobsen. It's not affected us too much though, as Forino and Low have generally been excellent despite their inexperience. Perhaps Saturday neither were at the best, although I wouldn't say they played badly. Your 2 wide players certainly had pace and gave our defenders plenty to think about. It was a very young back line for us on Saturday and I'm sure they'd have learnt plenty!

Hellfire Caves and the Golden Ball is a great shout for a visit. Not far from Adams Park, over in West Wycombe.

• Unfortunately, St Lawrence Church at West Wycombe is closed due to the need for structural repairs. Access to the Golden Ball on top has not been possible for years but the church is still worth a visit for the view from the top of the hill.