Skip to content

Bloomfield In

A discussion about how we should back Bloomfield (or shouldn’t) and the fan debate surrounding this.

Comments

• People calling for his head already are ridiculous! Let’s back the boys and give the team time to gel. Negativity will achieve nothing. Back Bloomfield!

• Hear hear!

• 100% Bloomfield in and it'll be October before I even consider revisiting this. I thought we looked OK in the first half yesterday (didn't see the second) and there is clearly quality in the team.

One thought. If the tactic is long balls into the channels for the wing backs then I don't think Grimmer works there. He doesn't really have the pace or the final ball. I'd far rather see him in the back 3 - he was excellent there last season. Bring Boyes in at LWB and KVY at RWB.

Ultimately we have two very winnable home games this week. Win them both and things will look rosy. Win one draw one and our position will still look miles better. Let's just hold our nerve eh?

• If you sack him how long does the next poor sod get? 6 games? 12? A window? and does he want the new players? Do they want him? Not a good advert for the club or basic decency, no point even discussing it for another month or so, much longer if there are any signs.

• Exactly, he needs more time with his squad of players who I believe are possibly the best we’ve ever had on paper.

If no improvement or little improvement by October then further questions will be asked

• Persevere with Bloomfield. I do wonder how much does the manager influence the game. The players on the pitch make the decisions, do they make the decision to go long second half, or is it a half time discussion / instruction?

• Whoever is in charge, a lot of well-rounded, reasonable people always seem to free their (admittedly more eloquent) inner @trevor at this stage of the season.

• Yep, I'm fully behind Bloomfield. The results from the opening 2 league fixtures are concerning, although with the squad turnover I expected the opening weeks to be tough going until things become more settled. The players need to take more responsibility in my opinion, the manager can do all the right things during the week, but that can easily be undone by players making mistakes on the Saturday. Appreciate the manager is ultimately responsible, but it's very, very early in the season and plenty of time for things to change (probably several times) before May. Getting rid of a manager a few months into his tenure and the financial implications of that doesn't do anyone any good.

• Do we all get behind Blooms tomorrow?

• I really want MB to succeed, but for that to happen he needs to be given time; after all he has brought in half a squad who need to get to know him, his methods, his tactics & each other, he also has new staff that need to build those relationships & understanding too.

I would give him until the end of November, if we still look dreadful then is the time to talk about a new manager ahead of the mid season transfer window; not before.

Despite the 3 piss poor halves we have seen in the league, what impressed me was how clearly furious he was in the Lincoln post match interview & how honest he was about what is acceptable; thta gives me the hope that he has the desire & drive to make a decent fist of it.

• I have not actually seen anyone on here say 'Bloomfield out' (I may have missed it), just point out that we have been poor under him going back to February, and that there is a concern he does not have the requisite managerial chops. He definitely deserves some time, and after we beat Orient tomorrow there will be some breathing room. Thanks in advance for that well taken goal, Luke Leahy.

• Thanks @Shev

im away for a week early on Wednesday so I’m happy to go with your assured knowledge of the result. Phew. Can relax and enjoy my holiday now we’ve picked up our first 3 points.

• I think Matt needs to decide what his Plan A and Plan B are. At the minute, there doesn't seem to be a cohesive plan OR the players aren't brave enough to carry out some of that plan.

What I'm really concerned about is the balance of the squad and the complete lack of pace at the back and up front.

Do we need 6 centre backs? Appreciate Grimmer and JJ can play both CB and RB/LB.

Do we need so many centre mids (both defensive and creative).

I would really liked to have seen us ditch a defender and a midfielder to bring in some pacier wingers or strikers.

I think he will get it right but it feels like he's signed a lot of individuals who might have been available but not necessarily what we currently need.

I believe he will succeed, perhaps he's trying too hard at the minute. A couple of wins will sort it out!

• And I'm putting a pony on a Wycombe win on the basis of @Shev's assurance!

• To be fair to Matt, did GA have a plan B? We always played in the same way under him no matter if we were winning or losing!

I'm not sure the 3 at the back is the right formation for us, I think if we have a back 4, it'll then give us more options in midfield and up front and it'll make everyone's roles much clearer.

I think we have had a situation a little bit like what we had last season with Bishop, however the tables are turned and we are Man Utd, QPR are us and Forino is the pawn in the middle. I think that Matt looked at the club and those that might be going to ensure whatever GA came in for, he had enough to cover and fill in. Now that it looks like QPR have shopped elsewhere, we have been left with a number of options and a squad that struggles to fit into the starting XI.

I think things will settle down once the transfer window closes and everyone knows they aren't going anyway (for the time being!) and the squad can then gel together

• I agree

Plan A should probably be 4-3-3 or possibly 4-1-2-3

Plan B should be 4-4-2

If we must have a plan C then that is 3-4-3 or 3-5-2

3 at the back can work but not with all or even 2 of JJ/Keogh/Taf as they are too slow or end up sitting too deep, if we are going to play this way then it needs to be Low (maybe Grimmer)-Taf/Keogh-Forino as this give us speed on the outsides.

• It’s the start of the season, so ultimately it’s just a ‘form table’ at the minute. Doubters should cast their minds back to when GA had bad runs of form, a few times it was 6-8 games without a win and then we recovered strongly. I’ve said on here before that I’d gladly take top 12 at the turn of the year / Christmas time, we are trying to become a completely different proposition now. With the defenders at our disposal I’m very confident in a period of form that sees a long unbeaten run of 10-12 plus games, but this won’t happen overnight - far from it.

My biggest concern frankly, is a Couhig getting wound up on facebook. You will never get as higher %age of unhappy fans in a stadium than on a facebook group. Made an embarrassment of him / themselves there and now has inadvertently made things personal, which should be a worry in my opinion.

• We've already RC call fans "idiots", so it's not entirely surprising, but it's almost more grating coming from a family member who doesn't actually have anything to do with the club. Arrogant prick.

• I can well understand why KC got wound up reading the comments on Facebook and why he'd want to reply. I think he'd be best advised to stay well clear of the Facebook group, as I don't really feel it's representative of the majority of Wycombe fans. Probably I should take that advice myself sometimes!

• MB has told the BFP that tonight the team will be "a lot more streetwise"

He'll be wearing a leather jacket next.

• Coming out looking like John Cena (above) and annoying everyone because we have brought out another new kit. It works for now because the weather is warm, however, a silly night in Blackpool might impact our performance a little......

• Couhig family member outraged by comments by fans on Facebook. Posts on Facebook. Fans outraged by post on Facebook by Couhig family member. Post on Facebook and Gasroom.

Facebook harvests your data and feeds your outrage.

There are some things (not many)that I miss about the olden days.

• I’ve never been on the Facebook page. Sounds like a good decision. The limited outrage on here is quite enough for me.

• I think GA had a Plan B. As @Erroll_Sims alluded to with the 4-3-3 vs 4-4-2 suggestion for Matty B.

GA played 4-3-3 or 4-5-1. He converted to a back three occasionally. When we were at our best under GA, we mixed it up. At our worst we just hoofed it long.

I'd like to see us primarily play passing football to move up the thirds. However, if we are just going sideways and around the defence, then I;d much rather see us trying to hit diagonals to Vokes.

As has been suggested, we are trying to accomodate too many players in the starting XI, which is why I think we've ended up with 3-5-2. My preference would be to go to 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3.

Strjek

Grimmer Forino Tafazolli Jacobson

Scowen Potts

McCleary Leahy Boyes

Vokes

OR

Strjek

Grimmer Forino Tafazolli Jacobson

Scowen Potts Leahy

McCleary Vokes Boyes

I'd be happy to see KVY come in for McCleary if KVY is going to get to the byline and pull the ball back for Vokes to nod home.

Alternative is Leahy or Boyes move to left back and Phillips starts in midfield.

• If he's going to stick with 5 at the back tonight, personally I'd go

Forino, Taff, Low, with kVY and Boyes as Wing backs.

Probably get hammered for saying it, but Keogh and JJ are too slow and should just be used as back ups for injury/tiredness. With Grimmer the main back up.

• In principle, I do agree with what you have written. However, I have concerns that we can't play JJ in this system as he'll be found out week-in week-out. If he is filling in, thats fine but KVY or Boyes need to be playing regularly at Left back while looking at Hanlan or TJ as a McCleary Substitute. You would also have Wheeler who could play a role as the wide forward (however pace isn't his friend either)

@Commoner I'm not looking for a fight, I agree with your thoughts in principle and I did mention that playing with a back 4 is the way this team should be going.

• Keogh in isolation is fine, but with JJ to his left it's asking for trouble. I think the 3 you've suggested is the quickest, in theory.

• edited August 2023

There's nothing more tedious than football drones talking about a lack of Plan B.

It will usually be followed up by the classic "lost the dressing room".

Please don't lose tonight otherwise this place will be a no go zone.

• If he stays with 3 at the back -

Max

Forino Taf JJ

Grimmer Scowen Potts Leahy Boyes

Vokes GMac

If he goes with 4 -

Max

Grimmer Forino Taf Boyes

Scowen Potts Leahy

Gmac Vokes Taylor