Skip to content

Match day thread: Lincoln

Comments

• If you think the players we have signed are ‘a load of crap’ I suggest you think again. Five of them are on the books of PL clubs who have the pick of the best young talent out there. The others have literally hundreds of EFL appearances between them including many at PL and Championship level. Perhaps you have set the bar a little too high?

• You can’t compare a manager of 10 years to a novice like Bloomfield. GA had history of some success, MB doesn’t have any anywhere.

It was a gamble and sadly it hasn’t worked. I’m not saying MB out now but if we don’t pick some points up from the next couple of games I will be.

• That and the fact the start of this season isn't an anomaly - we looked just as poor at the back end of last season. That rests with the coach.

• Lots of overreaction on here , many a good side that has been in the playoffs and above have struggled early season . Ok 10 games down and we are still struggling then no doubt Bloomfields job will be at risk however from what I saw at mk we played good football. The 10 signed players are good players, I do think Keogh should be on the bench as a reserve not starting I think he is good for the squad. We do need to address the shots on goal and leaking goals but give them time to gel.

• On the BBC comments section, under the match report, some Oxford fans are describing Wycombe as a 'rancid little club who will soon be back in non-league where they belong', or words to that effect.

Matt should print out those comments, and pin them to the dressing room wall for the next game, that might motivate the players to prove the doubters wrong.

• I don’t have that much hope it would. If new signings can’t get themselves going at the start of the season to prove the fan fares they came into the club with, a few comments from anonymous people of rival clubs isn’t going to do it either.

The losses aren’t what’s concerning me currently though. It is still just two games of the season. But it’s the lack of threat we seem to have had in those games and the ability to switch off and concede two goals in quick succession.

If we can’t shore up at the back and then pose a little bit more upfront in the next 5 to 10 games it’s going to be a massive issue.

• Here's the chairman's brother talking smack about fans. I'm beginning to sense a theme...

• "Mom's basement" is very American. He mean's Parent's boxroom.

Though it might be better if he didn't post at all.

• 'Siri Alex Ferguson' made me laugh. Was he looking up who he is?

• One player does not make a team - absolute nonsense and a lazy comment @ReturnToSenda - contributory factor maybe but other factors played a part. I was at Bolton where we lost 3 nil not because of our goalkeeper but because we were cut apart down the middle of the park

• It's not nonsense at all, but we went through all this a year ago. Main point is we have a proper goalkeeper now.

• No goalkeeper. But also defending like yesterday!

I think it was very tough on JJ being made the fall guy for last week. OK I get his lack of pace, he’s never been quick, but surely as it stands he is our best option on the left of 3. Taf central and Forino on the right.

Boyes should start every game too

• I love Alan's delusional bias, can always guarantee its coming.

Bloomfield has had 6months, the results are not coming. The football seems to be a mix of a new style the players don't quite get and a bit of Ainsworths hoofball. In all honesty it's been absolute garbage, never in a million years did I think I'd say I miss Ainsworths rugby tactics.

Bloomfield has disabled a very good squad and replaced them with arguably better player that are very capable of pushing for a play off place and it's not gonna happen under him.

I watched a few games under him last season and said we'd be in a relegation scrap this season if he stayed and I fully back that.

Bloomfield was an ok player nothing more, yes he served the club well but he's a poor manager he's had 6months it's been awful, time to move on.

Another thing for sure the loan players parent clubs won't want there assets in a relegation fight so if they get recalled he's gonna be in even deeper shit.

• Not sure that last part is really true

• "Bloomfield was an ok player, nothing more"

• edited August 2023

Social media does mean a lot of kneejerkery is emblazoned for all to see, instead of the old days where you'd just rant off to your close pals and it's all undocumented.

Even the least rabid of us are more than worried at the last 6months turn around in affairs. And it's not "just 2 games" like some keep annoyingly saying. It's the overall 19 game spell.

But it is ever so slightly infuriating seeing some hanger on who hadn't even heard of us a couple of years back giving it all that sort of talk.

We'll all be supporting this club long after he's back leeching onto someone or something else.

• I tipped us for playoffs as I am an optimist and know very little about the game. Experts on here predicted mid table for new manager and players. Same Experts seem to be up in arms with poor start. (Because we've never had them before have we?) I suspect mid table will mean we lose a few games, I think that's how it works. That some posters almost become parodies of themselves at the start of every season (probably me included) means a massive sense of deja vu for the first few games. I think Matt has made some good signings is trying to play the 'better football' that was demanded by Ainsworth haters and will eventually come good. As yet toys still in pram, bed dry, and hopefully I will not be cancelled on here for telling my truth.

• Most likely contributor was probably my attendance at games last season 🙄 I attended 2 of that first 4, both defeats and overall went to 9 games last season of which we won 2 lost 7. Illness prevented me from getting to 6 games I would normally go to (my criteria is usually anything within 100 miles of Stockport plus a few home games) - of that 6 we only lost 1 winning three. So has to be me! Was also at first Exeter game earlier this month - fortunately no games in the NW for a little while

• Exactly. We all know we've got some right muppets in the fan base, but it's not his place to point that out.

• It'd be one thing if it was the main Couhigs but not some minor relation who has just oafishly appeared onto the scene.

• Didn't he pop up on co-comms once?

• At least Alan has a long term affiliation with us and has contributed to the cause.

When some minor relation Couhig starts slating fans on the wycombe group its really not on.

You have some interesting views. "Rugby" is insulting and while I always thought Blooomfield was hard working and functional "ok" is a strange one to last 19 years as a player and coach here.

• The worrying thing isn’t that we’ve lost two games, it isn’t even that we’ve lost them both 3-0 (someone mentioned the Bolton game last season where we last 3-0), it’s that we’ve lost them 3-0 to what seem to be unimpressive lower-mid table sides. If we can’t compete in those kind of games we will be in trouble.

• My 'morning after' thoughts are currently centered around Richard Keogh. He was brought in for leadership, experience and level headedness. Maybe he provides that in training but in both league matches? When we go a goal down he needs to be resetting the defence and ensuring they get sharper. In both league matches so far we've instead conceded a quick second goal and then lose confidence (yesterday we in effect conceded three quick goals after the first, I'm not sure their disallowed goal should've been).

Nor have I seen great distribution from him or vision in passing. Instead he seems slow and easily caught out. I think if we're going to keep playing with three at the back and Taf is fit I'd prefer to see him take on the leadership role while paired with two younger, faster central defenders in Forino and Low. We need to get sharper at the back and this seems one obvious way of doing it.

• Totally.

That's why we have an absolutely critical next 2 games home to equally pointless teams.

If we're sitting on 0-2 points after 4 games thoughts will turn to a relegation battle.

However, with the fact some of our key guys are clearly not 100% fit and the massive kick up the butt from these games, I have every hope of an instant turn around, at least for these games.

I do dread us playing anyone remotely decent.

• We definitely have a real conundrum. If you're playing 3 centre backs you can't really afford to have more than 1 of them pretty slow.

We have JJ, Taf and Keogh.

We might be able to field 2 of them in a back 4 with the full backs covering but for some reason we seem hell bent on the 3.

• Keogh as the middle CB is more than fine, but you've got to have pace either side.

• The Kevin Couhig post on Facebook really wound me up, don't know why but it did. Typical arrogant American prick. Can probably write on the back of a postcard what he knows about football, but he thinks he can lecture fans who have a different opinion, many of those fans who have been fans for longer than he's even known the sport existed. As Malone said, we were here before they even knew about us and will be here long after they have gone. He's Done the Couhigs relationship with the fans no good whatsoever. Just keep it shut.

• I think you've articulated perfectly why it wound you up - and you're well within your rights. You'll be far from the only one.