Skip to content

Matty B... the right man for the job.

edited August 2023 in Football

After the initial heartache and stress I had over GA going... I feel after recent events I've had somewhat of an epiphany.

I now feel it was probably the right time for all parties that we moved forward.

GA always had ambition to manage a bigger club.... and why not? I wish him well and every success. I thank him for his loyal service and fantastic years we have had with him at the healm.

I think many of us penned MB as his natural successor.... although we hoped it wasn't.... well now!!

Hoped he would have gained more experience than a few months at Col U!!

However... we need to remember a few things.

He is MR WYCOMBE

He loves this club.

In his latter moments with the club, he coached alongside GA and Dobbo... albeit in a non official role.

He woud obviously have taken on the good aspects of GAs management, and also reflected on what he would have done differently.

This years transfer window in my opinion has been spectacular. I am happy loan signings are a thing again and I believe the mix of raw young talent and fresh legs mixed in with quality older players will be the way forward.

This will be a transitional season for sure... but an exciting one.

Anything above mid table will be great.

Let's all join together and look hopefully forward (with our light and dark blue tinted glasses) to a happy and prosperous future πŸ˜€

Β«1

Comments

• Great post. I wanted MB all along, to continue the culture. One hope I have is that as he got his coaching badges later than GA, he might be influenced by some more sophisticated contemporaries, such as the U21 coach at Arsenal he went through the badges with at the same time. There does seem to be a crop of younger managers who really know what they want and can really get teams playing well - Liam Manning comes to mind.

• Great post, @Alexo .

• On an optimistic note, how much of a legend would Blooms be to captain us to the Championship and then take us back up as manager?

• Blooms knows our club, our players and our division, he has recruited well (really well) and is young and ambitious.

The rest are things that he can’t control the opposition, the officials and that little bit of frigging luck on the day.

That said I’m really looking forward to the new season and a couple of preseason pints in the tent of beer.

• One thing that I've not seen discussed about Blooms before much on here is that he's really good friends with Russell Martin. I'd suspect that will have a big influence on his management style and our playing style for this season, and the singings we've made seem to support that.

• He was always the right person for the job, right background, ethics and preparation and makes sense of the long term plan, and pissed of Col U :) . It's not easy to come in cold and take over a team that isn't yours. Whether we do well this season or not will be down to a lot of different factors. Won't suddenly make him a bad choice even if it doesn't click immediately or work out well. Russell Martin's teams have a reputation for taking time to bed in and prioritising style of play, think Blooms will add a bit of Gaz/Dobbo pragmatism and if that is taken on by this squad and we have some luck along the way we'll do fine in a very difficult division.

• I am sure everyone hopes that Matt Bloomfield will succeed as football manager. Will he? Who knows.

The nature of football fans means that if we lose a few games then many of the same voices currently saying how he was the natural fit for the job and that the is a better coach than Gareth Ainsworth will flip to say it was a ridiculous decision driven by emotion to appoint an inexperienced manager playing dull defensive football and that he and his talentless team of East Anglian mates should be fired instantly and never darken our doors again.

Never too high never too low. Matt is our manager now. He will get many things right, he will make some mistakes. Lets hope the new season goes well. Enjoy the ride.

• Agree with all these positive sentiments. The one variable not mentioned by @MorrisItal2 is ownership / funding. That just may impact on his tenure.

• I think Matt was in a difficult position when he came in towards the end of the season. He knew the squad really well but wasn't comfortable with the tactics that had been used previously in the season. While trying to employ a hybrid of GA and his tactics sometimes worked and sometimes didn't last year.

However, I'm confident of seeing a new way of playing this season. While GA took us to heights we haven't seen before, the football we played wasn't attractive, I think it's clear from MB signings that he is looking to change the tactics direction. We might have some tough matches but I think we'll see some matches that will be high scoring. He has also freshened up the squad. In the past, we have normally signed experienced journeymen to get us through the season and in this summer, we have removed several players and have brought in some promising potential stars.

I guess my concern this season is that while we have signed promising players on loan, like Breckin and Potts, most of their footballing experience has come from the U21's leagues which is a very protected environment. If they get some heavy tackles or are targeted by our opposition, are they going to sink and disappear or swim and show off their ability? They could have been sent to us to get some bruises and bumps while experiencing the valuable 1st team football that isn't currently available at their parent clubs.

• 100% the right man for the job !

• I think this is a very silly post. Nothing personal to the original poster at all, it's just that it shouldn't even need to be said.

Of course he's the perfect fit, anyone suggesting otherwise is sadly misunderstood.

The crunch will come when he makes mistakes - he will make many. We need to stick by him as he learns to ply his trade. In five or six years time, he will be a fantastic manager. Let's hope he's still at Wycombe and we haven't lost patience by then.

• Not sure which post you consider silly @Rolo.

All this speculation seems a bit pointless before a ball is kicked.

Let’s wait and see. There will soon be ample opportunity to dissect tactics, express delight or disappointment about each and every performance, individual and ensemble.

Can’t wait but needs must.

• But he is the right man for the job @micra . I cannot imagine any other manager we would consider for the post to be as dedicated to WWFC as is Matty Bloomfield.

He is Wycombe through and through and we must remember that he has probably had more management experience than Ainsworth did when we first appointed him to the management post.

• If we lose to Exeter, lose to Milton Keynes and then lose to Lincoln (not an impossible scenario IMHO) it’ll be interesting to see what sort of state we find ourselves in.

• Agreed. Let's at least see if we can win a couple of games in a row before talking about "perfect" fits.

2 or 3 wins in a row, the thread will be in raptures.

2 or 3 losses in a row and the drone army will be making a charge.

• edited August 2023

Sorry if you find a bit of an optimistic gee up before the season kicks off silly.

Maybe it didn't or shouldn't have needed to be said..

But fuck it! i said it! and I meant it!.... and I think some on here needed to read it and get on the optimism bus πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

@Rolo I do however recognise that you mentioned nothing personal to me so I will take your comment as somebody that didn't need preaching to and already had full belief. Kudos to you πŸ‘

• If Exeter win on Saturday....

• Via The Young Ones

• A home draw, 1-1 is the traditional way to utterly pierce the mad optimism that generates in the weeks before the start.

• I don't think anyone on here that I've seen is going gung-ho with over optimism.

I've only seen people be pleasantly suprised with the close seasons dealings.

I've seen a few stating we may be in with an outside chance... after seeing our incoming players... of a playoff spot...

I think most if us are happy that we are going to hopefully not be fighting relegation πŸ˜…πŸ™ˆπŸ™‰πŸ™Š

• I'm with you, man. I think the bus in question may feel like the rail replacement service at times. It may take ages to get us to where we want to be but once we're there it'll be worth it.

• I’m certain we won’t be fighting relegation. But, as several have said, it will take several games for the new lineups to gel.

My optimism about Saturday’s game - one of many cautious 2-1 predictions - is partly based on the fact that Exeter lost 6 of their last seven league games last season so I assume that they too will have had a bit of a clear out and will also need a few games to gel.

• Clearly a good evening at the Three Kings, @StrongestTeam !!

• Broadly speaking, I agree with the original post, i.e.:

• Anything above mid-table is fine
    • MB needs to be given the time and space to make mistakes as a rookie manager, just as GA was (even though the latter probably only got that allowance because we couldn't afford to sack him at the time)
    • He couldn't possibly have had a better grounding in "the Wycombe way"
    • His new style will take some time to bed in, and results may suffer in the short term - more flowing football is potentially a good thing, but Gazball was pragmatic for a reason - there's certainly been plenty of teams over the years that try and play football on the deck but aren't good enough to carry it off - last season's PNL being a classic example

So I'm cautiously optimistic about the season ahead, buoyed by (at least on paper) the quality of the signings we've made, a good blend of youth and experience.

But I haven't forgotten the disappointing end to last season, not that I hold that against MB, it's just a good reminder not to expect all the changes MB wants to see implemented overnight.

I'm also hoping we tone down the "dark arts" a bit - yes, it works in terms of frustrating the opposition and no, I don't mind us doing the same stuff that everyone does (dawdling over goal kicks, playing keepball in the corner as full-time approaches), but the whole feigning injury schtick is just a bit excessive to my mind.

• We are a decent and now (hopefully) established League One side and anything above eighth is gravy in my opinion. As long as we are pushing for promotion whilst paying wages and tax, I am happy. I was only disappointed last season that our play-off push was derailed by GA and Dobbo departing.

• Agreed with @Wendoverman , just add to the above a seventh place finish playing attractive football and that would be a just fine and dandy.