Skip to content

Matty B... the right man for the job.

2»

Comments

• I thought last season was difficult, and that 9th was amazing given the circumstances. We were coming off a very flat, disappointing playoff final, and struggled to find any rhythm. We had some amazing highs - hammering Peterborough, Barnsley, Oxford etc. - but then would fall to a Cheltenham or Morecambe. We lost Mawson and Mehmeti. When we finally put it all together and went on a tear, GA left. We had hardly any late goals, and managed just one second half equalizer in the entire season. It just felt very uneven, and I actually don't think it is a season that will live too fondly in the memory, despite the very impressive finishing spot.

For whatever reason, I am wildly optimistic about this season - even though I don't even feel massively confident we will win tomorrow (I could definitely see a draw). I think it is just that feeling of renewal. From all the new boys, to MB now having his feet under the table, to the 1887 trying their thing, to the beautiful new kit designs...it just feels like it is going to be a fun season, even if we don't gel quickly, and even if we don't get into the top 6. I could be totally wrong, but I am excited about the season simply because I feel like it is going to be an absolute riot of a good time.

• Is it normal for a nearly 60 year old man to wake up ridiculously early like a kid at Christmas.

Asking for a friend

• I'm weirdly nervous !? God knows why because there's nothing to be nervous about and I'm really looking forward to it today !

Shame the weather's not playing along though ! Would be nice to go to a game in August in shirt and shorts !

• Nothing to stop you turning up in shirt and shorts!

I'm confident @trevor will not be manically typing out a post today!

• Perfectly normal, tell your friend. It never leaves you.

• Can you remember that long ago @micra?

Must admit (as the other side of 60) this is the most intrigued, excited and anticipatory for the first game of the season I have been for many a long year (for some reason the Hemmings game springs to mind).

No pressure and no real expectation though. Just thrilled by the unknown and possibilities.

Almost feels ‘first date’ territory (stretching my memory back even further!)

• This aged well 😬

• True, but my 23 seconds of euphoria and hope are 23 seconds I will always treasure.

• The thread is certainly still to be proven isn't it.

Hopefully in 3months we'll look back and agree he was the right man.

• I was being facetious. There's danger in writing him off already, but there's also danger in doing the opposite. Some balance needed.

• Well, I’ve had worse first dates…

• I’m convinced that appointing Bloomfield was the correct decision in the circumstances, and results won’t change my mind.

One thing I do disagree with Bloomfield on is his comment in a recent interview that we need a different style (to Ainsworth’s) to succeed in the Championship. We’re already a small club in League One, in the Championship we’d be tiny and we would need to find something to give us an edge - to do something different to everyone else in order to compete, not just try to do what they are all doing but with fewer resources.

It’s fine to want to change our style, but that isn’t a good reason to do it.