Skip to content

Questions for Rob and Pete on Thursday

13»

Comments

• Oh, crikey. We’ve gone from yup to yep (see “Tory’s closing nations ticket offices” thread).

What with yups and yeps (so far no yips) and the alarming trend towards the prefixing of adjectives with ‘super’, the americanisation of the English language shows no sign of losing pace.

I like ‘yeah’ though, if only for the reason mentioned in the Tory’s ticket office thread.

• Come on @micra ... what do you think about about "nope"? 😁

• Afternoon @Cyclops.

Nope, I’d not seen that one on here. Not keen. But I see where you’re coming from. Antonym of yup and yep.

Totally unrelated and irrelevant but I got suckered earlier this morning by an iPhone “incident” that would have made you smile.

I struggle to see emojis these days (on this tiny screen @mooneyman !) and an emoji in a post from @ReturnToSenda really had me guessing. It was dark for a start. To my astonishment, it later re-appeared, unheralded, in one of my own posts. Just couldn’t work out what it was.

It was only when I spotted it for the third time and tapped on it that the truth dawned. I’d been eating porridge a few minutes earlier and had somehow contrived to transfer a small milk-sodden oat on to the screen. You know how it is when bits cling to the bowl after you’ve got all you can with the spoon and you’re a believer in ‘waste not want not’ or (as in my case) just plain slovenly.

• Well, emojis are supposed to emoat!

• edited July 2023

Re the whinging issue.

It is something that really gets Americans (and Aussies) as it is just not part of their lexicon and as such it doesn’t wash over them as it would with us (pinch of salt) they take it at face value as overt criticism. Like irony they just don’t get it.

Likewise their ‘new world’ start point of can do positivity is diametrically opposed to our cynicism.

This ownership, I suggest, has nobody of authority within the club to ‘put them right’ on such subtle sensitive issues, no way Matt, Neil or Phil are in that position. This is exacerbated given the owners come from none employee backgrounds - I doubt if anyone has ever put them ‘right’ on management issues.

I feel the CFO has spent more time assimilating so is less susceptible than the Chairman in this regard. But nothing much is going to change any time soon.

• edited July 2023

Very true. As a dual citizen of the UK and USA, I sometimes don't even understand myself! Or I'll try to have a whinge filled with positivity.

• It reminds me of the old Aussie joke, How do you know a plane full of poms has landed, it’s still whining after they’ve turned the engines off .

• edited July 2023

Alternative version: What's the difference between a pot of yoghurt and Australia? The yoghurt has a culture.

• What is the difference between Bairstow and a dirty boxer? The boxer gets his glove to the balls.

• Bairstow has one of the highest dismissal rates in world test cricket at 2.09 per innings. Higher than Prior, Stewart, Knott and Taylor.

• Yes, statistically he has been decent in the past. This series has been awful, though.

• Agreed he hasn’t been great. However fits right into the whole Bazball thing and returning from a horrific injury - will only improve

• Hopefully he'll be fully back up to speed after another couple of tests bedding back in. Foakes is a world class wicket-keeper and a very good batsman. He should definitely start the next test, but they will no doubt stubbornly leave it as it is. Bairstow's dismissal rate is a reflection of keeping wicket to two of the greatest opening bowlers in the history of test cricket, not his ability behind the stumps.

• We've been thinking that for the last 3 test matches......