Skip to content

Keogh

Comments

• Evidently Derby fans see it as a match made in heaven because both Keogh and Wycombe "tried to destroy Derby."

There is delusional, there is hyper-delusional, there is transcendentally delusional, there is intergalactic-monstrosity delusional, there is multiverse-permeating delusional, and then there are Derby County fans.

• Then there's the massive elephant in the room that our ground is miles from anywhere, loads drive there yet nip into the pub pre and after games.

Do they all limit to the 1 drink or whatever the limit is? Are they all designated drivers?

• Very good point @Alexo . Sensible viewpoint from the other side which is always necessary when analysing these things. I've done things in the past that people would raise their eyebrows to but in no way would I intentionally hurt others nor do I deem myself a bad person. He's lucky that he lived to tell the tale and anyone with half a brain would learn from their experiences.

• Well... there we go. Id like to think in this day and age.. they are sticking to 1 drink...

Who knows how many would be crapping their pants if they saw a police convoy in sands doing random breathalyser checks 🤔🤷‍♂️

• Let he who is without sin cast the first stone...

• This is the thing.

Does anyone think that the type of person that would leg it, leaving their captain unconscious in the car, would answer 100% truthfully when asked “ how many have you drunk?”

”just the one pint mate. Been on the soft drinks skipper”.

• In no way an attempt to justify drunk driving but, if I've done my sums correctly, a reading of 60 micrograms per 100ml could result from drinking about 4 pints.

If that's so, and I'm more than happy to be corrected, it might not be that the 2 players convicted of drink driving - who had 58 & 64 micrograms per 100ml - had consumed 10 pints and a half bottle of whiskey each. That said they had been drinking and ought to have known not to drive.

Anyway just saying maybe they were not quite so obviously drunk that Keogh should have spotted before he got in the car.

• Thanks @PBo for the Guardian link. Really good article and made me think rather differently.

Forest also remember Keogh as a master of the dark arts…the final minutes of the match would disappear if Forest were behind to Derby as Richard and his team mates suffered a series of injuries, cramps etc.

welcome to Wycombe Richard, you will feel well at home here.

• Have you queued for the bar? You’d do well to get served enough to be over the limit…

(In terms of the specific debate about Keogh’s actions/decisions that night, I am struggling to understand why we (well some) expect him to have acted/decided reasonably, given that (from what I assume having not yet read the article) he was probably drunk at the time.

• On the response to the signing itself, it’s probably contextual. If he was the third or fourth signing (and leaving to one side the question of character) we’d probably be a lot more relaxed and positive about a quality, experienced pro, reportedly good around the dressing room/training field, joining us.

His ‘welcome’ I think is a lot more muted due to him being the first (hopefully not last) one this summer

• That last line is key. The link I posted even had him admitting he was a bit worse for wear.

• Based on the reaction from some of our fanbase, mainly on Facebook, you have to wonder the type of player Matt needs to sign to get the fans off his back. We lacked experience, we didn’t really replace the retiring or departing generals and we’ve just lost another one in Gapey. Keogh will be a huge asset to us off the pitch and only time will tell if that’s the case on the pitch.

I for one am more than happy with this signing.

• As long as we haven't done a Chelsea and given him a ten year contract then there's nothing not to like about signing him.

• Spreading a 0 value transfer fee over ten years is next level thinking. We’ve got this whole FFP thing sorted.

• I think that would be more FFS than FFP

• Not much empathy all round on here sometimes, I can understand why people, particularly those affected by similar situations, would have reservations, and while everyone is entitled to a night out and responsible for their own actions a club captain does have responsibilities on a team night out as anyone in a supervisory position would. From the little I've read and the reports of his general behaviour at Ipswich and beyond I'd welcome him.

We do have to be a bit careful though of blindly grasping at reasons to do so in some Newcastle style delusions where they declare the world hates them and the new owners aren't in anyway influenced by the people who pay the bills, and torture isn't that bad anyway.

• edited July 2023

Who should we (realistically given our league position, profile and budget) sign to appease the underwhelmed and bring in those extra season tickets? I'm honestly intrigued to know...

• Broadly speaking I think the fan base is currently whelmed by his arrival. I think that it will quickly turn to underwhelmed if it turns out he is out top signing. Especially against a background of the last couple of windows.

• Having read Blackpool fans reviews of his performances for them not so long ago I’m quietly confident that this is an astute signing.

However I also thought that when we signed Michael Duberry..

• Revealing this signing now has shot any idea that we had a stack of signings to reveal at the big covid refund dance off.

• I had zero expectations of announcements for Saturday. Maybe a new font for tea bar price lists.

• I'd expect the away kit to be revealed on Saturday

• Will be interesting what the Couhigs and Bloomfield have to say on transfers and our ambitions on the phone in on Thursday. With due respect to Keogh, it’s hardly showing much ambition at this stage. New Head of Recruitment worked at Ipswich and we sign an ex Ipswich player. Hopefully his ‘ little black book’ of contacts is a bit more widespread.

• Maybe I was a bit harsh on him re. the crash incident, but I'm still a little way short of being 'whelmed'.

Let's hope we don't sign anyone older!

• Must admit I had a little chuckle to myself yesterday at this. Blooms loves Ipswich, new head of recruitment came from Ipswich, first signing from Ipswich.... it could be Waddock all over again !

• What would you like them to say about signings and ambitions @davecz ?

• I mentioned on another thread that Robert Carmona had been spotted filling up in High Wycombe!