Skip to content

Keogh

Discuss…

Comments

• ....... No

• Forest fans don’t like him from his Derby days. Left after a murky dispute allegedly…something to prove here?

• I’m sure he’ll be great, but I genuinely thought when I saw the post on Twitter that we had signed a new backroom staff member

• After the success of Bayo and Anis, I try not to judge signings that much. He's unlikely to start and will hopefully bring experience to the dressing room. Could be a big bonus

• I know I'm not allowed to say it, but signing a 36 year old is a little underwhelming. From what I've heard today he might not be here as a back up either, but a replacement. Forino could be gone soon.

• I wouldn’t be too underwhelmed, take it for what it is a relatively short term relationship, one maybe two seasons at most, in which he provides an old head in the dressing room and an extra first team level defender.

A previous example being Frank Sinclair who was excellently albeit for a pretty short period.

May well mean that Forino’s off but if he is this isn’t a bad short term solution.

• edited July 2023

Forgive my pessimism, but I find it a bit perplexing to judge him as a similar signing to Darius Charles.

Darius was 29/30 when he joined and had 350 appearances. Despite his injury, he had a fair bit left in the tank.

Keogh is 37 in a few weeks and has made 650 appearances in total - his body has been through the metaphorical football grinder much more. He made fewer than five league starts last season.

They are pretty dissimilar. There is a huge difference in the capabilities of a 37 year old (by the time of the opening day) and a 30 year old.

If this is a dressing room signing with 10-15 appearances, mostly from the bench, then I’m pleased. If this is a future starter, I’m really worried about this season.

• edited July 2023

Was a quality player at his best. Bit of a dodgy end at Derby to say the least.

But hopefully he can still offer something strong here, and it's not a reboot of the Taylor window after the Hayes ultimatum!

• Oh this does not bode well…

• No disrespect to Keogh but colour me underwhelmed

• Everyone should remember that his value depreciated significantly at Derby.

• Not one to set the pulses racing is it? But an Ipswich supporting friend tells me he was a good influence on the training ground last season.

I'd be more concerned about Forino's future if we'd signed a CB in his prime...

• I can sense our fanbase dusting off the turning circle metaphors as I write this.

• Imagine if Keogh is Forino’s replacement?

• According to the article, he was on £24,000 a week at Derby, and then when they treated him appallingly after the car crash, he successfully sued them for unfair dismissal, and got a payout of over £2m.

Apparently, MB has known him for 20 years, and must have known that Ipswich were not renewing his contract at the end of last season. So you would think MB might have been straight on the phone, inviting him to come to HP12.

The fact that it has taken many weeks for that to happen, would suggest that Keogh's agent has been punting him around other L1 clubs, trying to secure a big money contract. That hasn't happened, and he has ended up here anyway. This signing has all the attributes of a customer grabbing the last turkey in the shop on Christmas Eve.

• I’m doing my best not too. On a very practical level he can’t be, there’s no way he’s got 50 games in him.

• @bargepole I've no idea how this transfer will work out, but there's 2 months of the transfer window left, so it's hardly a desperate last minute move! I suspect this has been in the offing for a while and now his contract at Ipswich has completed, he's signed. If he (or his agent) was wanting to go elsewhere, there was still plenty of time to sort something.

• If the deal is right then a good signing with an experienced head in the dressing room and if he does know MB well then not a bad thing for our young manager

• For a first signing under the new management, have to say a bit underwhelming. All very well to say he played in Ipswich promotion winning team but he only made 9 appearances. Hopefully I will be proved wrong .

• Let’s hope it’s not a former top level centre back signing like Michael Duberry was!

• Solid enough as a backup or another option if fit, reminds me of El-Abds signing, he won't play here for years to come but if he can make an impact then fair enough, if Blooms has known him 20 years and took a punt I'm sure he knows his character just fine.

Not everything we need but still very early.

• Excellent signing in my view. Huge championship and international experience, sounds like a great influence and also still has playing ambitions. What’s not to like.

considering his age and the fact he has already ‘made his money ‘ I would say not blowing the budget either.

If we get 30 games a year from him, Taf and big Chris that will do for me, although I’m expecting Chris to play until January and then get his big move.

• I'm generally a last minute Christmas shopper. Never have I bought a turkey from a turkey farm that I have known for 20 years.

• edited July 2023

Yep, there are slight worries this is the Hayes ultimatum summer all over.

Keogh for Duberry.

We just need to sign an ex defender we shipped off to non league, and some relation of Matty B's now to really revisit history.

Awaiting Keogh's "not here to make up the numbers" speech, a day before us going 3-0 down at half time on the first day.

• Forino is one of Gareth’s top targets.

Unless we sign another CB, we’ll be seeing a lot of Keogh.

• People really are Underwhelmed before the ball kicking at goal has even begun.

I thought Alfie was a great signing...and it may have been his knee problems in hindsight, but our defence was terrible at the start of last season...with every set piece we seemed to concede. That was disappointing...Plan B goalkeeper or not.

If Keogh can still jump, pass and shout orders, he may be a brilliant addition. Or not. We don't know yet....and can only hope to be proved wrong.

• If Gareth wants Forino he can pay enough for us to get suitable replacements.

• £2.5M I reckon.