Skip to content

Gasroom Playlist Picks

Comments

• Probably Joy Division, but I don't have LOADS (I mean, there's not that much to have).

• Or maybe ABBA as their records are everywhere and dirt cheap, so I tend to just grab them whatever.

• Two bands I love FYC and The Farm don't have a huge back catalogue, but I have numerous versions of their few albums they released in various mixes.

• edited May 2023

That's a good one: best band/artist who only did one album? Can include supergroups to make it easier.

• I once saw The Farm leave the stage in a huff because the crowd were chucking mud at them. Reading Festival I think. Seem to remember the singer getting in a scrap in the bar right afterwards too.

• Nickelback once got rocks chucked at them

• edited May 2023

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_hnxies4Wtk

Daphne and Celeste enjoyed their Reading experience apparently!

• Bottling was 'traditional' at Reading from what I've read. I've only braved that ketamine-infused teenage wasteland once.

• Hell of a line up, but this blog gets it right...

https://ravedownradio.co.uk/2020/05/27/a-shoegazers-memory-of-reading-festival-1992/

This is as bad as any festival performance can get. The Farm were shockingly bad, they were a poor mans Happy Mondays. They were the kind of rubbish Simon Cowell would sign just because he’d know he could get a couple of hit singles out of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiHuTPlmad0

• meatloaf was given a tremendous bottling when supporting Deep Purple in the piss pouring rain at Knebworth in ‘85. He was truly dreadful so rather had it coming.

During the arial assault I was struck on the head by a carrier bag full of sodden digestive biscuits that, as well as a snack carrier, had served double duty as a toilet. Standing in 6 inches of mud, smelling of piss and sweet meal, and listening to Smoke On The Water. Good times

• I saw Meatloaf get bottled off stage at Reading too. He was absolutely fuming. John Otway played the next morning, announced he was doing his Meatloaf impression, and a bunch of roadies ran on stage and chucked bottles at him.

• Repulsion’s only album was Horrified. A seminal work from a band, without whom, we may not have had Grindcore. Possibly not the best artist/album but the band were hugely important to the world of extreme music.

• Who knew Frank Skinner clashed on a festival bill with Nirvana?

• Public Enemy on the Saturday night was the best live performance I've ever seen by the way. Absolutely incredible. That poster also reminded me that I saw the Beastie Boys in the middle of the Sunday afternoon, way down the pecking order. I seem to remember it being pretty much a hardcore set.

• I saw Public Enemy a few years ago at Common People in Oxford. Flavor Flav forgot his passport and got turned back at Heathrow! It was a unique performance with various people filling in for his ‘nnyyeeeaaahh booooyzzzz’.

• I was stood side of stage during that, enjoying the vitriolic reaction, until I remembered I was one of the crew who’d be sweeping up all the piss etc…

• I too was at Reading 2000 and witnessed the assault on Daphne and Celeste from a safe distance (the bar I think)! Aside from them, a fairly bizarre booking, it was actually an outstanding line-up that year. To complete the Wycombe connection, earlier that summer I took a printout of the line-up with me to a café in Beaconsfield that a friend of mine worked at (she was coming to the festival). While we were discussing who we wanted to see, who should walk in but a Celtic-bound Martin O'Neill (apparently he was a regular there). I nervously shuffled over to him and asked him to sign the only piece of paper that I had on me at the time, and he duly obliged with some typically kind words. Another treasured possession that is safely packed away somewhere...

• @drcongo I was also at Reading that day. The debacle put me off festivals for ages. Luckily, I've seen a "full" Meat Loaf set a few times since that fateful day and he always put on a great show. Another band which played on the Saturday was Uriah Heep and I saw them again recently supporting Saxon. They still rock.

• Am I the only one who has never heard of Daphne and Celeste?

• I was working at Reading Festival that year. Meat was in a foul mood backstage. I asked him to show me a pass that I knew he didn't have to get in the staff area backstage. Then came the immortal words "don't you know who I am?" My obvious reply was..............."Sorry chap, no idea!" Which was harder than it seems when trying not to burst out laughing.

• edited May 2023

Postal Service are my favourite band with only one album.

Million Dead are my favourite band with only two albums.

• Ooh, TPS is a great shout. I'm still thinking.

Joy Division unquestionably the best with two imo.

• I'd argue for the Stars of Heaven: though the one album they did make was distinctly patchy and poorly produced, the EPs they released showed much greater potential - right @LeedsBlue? And for Modern Eon, whose Fiction Tales always seems to me an overlooked classic.

• edited May 2023

Maybe the Modern Lovers, or even just the Sex Pistols. I really liked the Them Crooked Vultures album years ago too (Dave Grohl and co).

• edited May 2023

Ha! Their guitarist is a Wycombe fan - he used to lecture at BNU, now at Leeds Uni I think.

• The Great Rock and Roll Swindle surely counts as an album release, even if it was a Malcolm McLaren vanity project / cash grab.

• Favourite one-off album - The Shop Assistants (mid-80s indie band from Edinburgh)

Best band with two albums - The Teardrop Explodes.

• Planes Mistaken for Stars are my favourite (i think) band with four albums.

Cursive's 'The Difference Between Houses and Homes,' is my favourite compilation album. Although The Masterplan runs it close.

• I've seen his grave and it's... exactly as you'd expect.