Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

12345679»

Comments

• It's very hard to put a figure on how many people would come, but are put off by the access and leaving times etc.

Championship would definitely see us adding a couple of thousand, but clearly we have to get there and stay there.

• Unless we can increase the amount of car parking spaces available at AP - in the top car park presumably - then I don't understand how a new access road actually helps get more people to come.

Sure it might allow the capacity of AP to be raised, but so what? We have spare capacity now and people still don't come to fill the seats.

The people who utilise the existing car parking at AP -myself included - do so in the knowledge that they might have to wait an hour to exit after the game. What changes with better access?

So isn't it not just better access we need it's more car parking capability. (My working assumption here is that the top car park is at capacity?).

• Good point @Twizz .

Although the top car park only looked about half full at the weekend, but maybe that is close to what is a sensible capacity with how it's on a massive slope!

• @Malone, you're correct the field that the top car park occupies has more space but isn't there a capacity of 350 maximum - I presume for safety given the terrain. As has been mentioned it's green belt so has to remain a field.

• No road is going to be built.

I’m surprised so many have been distracted by what is clearly a smokescreen.

• The road may or may not transpire but I’ll declare with an equal degree of pomposity it is categorically not a smokescreen.

• Fireworks are a smoke screen.

• You are certainly on form today @drcongo

• On fire?

• For what though?

The Couhigs brought the idea up, so doing so pointlessly only brings heat their way.

Unless like someone suggested, they're doing it to vaguely get permission, for a better sell on fee? But if the permission is so easy to get, it's hardly that much of a sell is it?

"Oh, you can do a new road if you like", but not actually contribute anything to it?

• The costs and planning involved in any new road are prohibitive. It will run into millions of pounds.

Discussing it gives the illusion of investment whilst they look to sell.

It would be interesting to know just how much the owners have actually invested in the football club. I’m not sure we will ever know.

• My guess has always been $0. The initial loan would have been paid back through the Championship funds. I don't believe they have enough money in the family to invest in the club even if they wanted to.

I also suspect that the high playing budget this season was always spent with an eye to selling the club this summer, ideally with the club now at a higher level, with the new owners paying back the bills.

The road isn't exactly a red herring - the Couhigs would've loved to have got outline planning permission for ground expansion by the summer to make the package more enticing. But the lack of any substance to their plans is telling. They probably assumed that Wycombe council would fall for their folksy charm like so many of the supporters and not bother asking difficult questions. I suspect that won't end up being the case.

• Yes, this is pretty much my reading of the situation.

• I am sure they were genuine regarding their plans for a road and stand conversion but whether that comes to fruition is another story.

I would still back them selling up in the summer.

• Glad you enjoyed it @Zeb13 - we’re a pretty fun team to watch lately.

• @Zeb13 thanks so much! For a survey I am doing, in a hypothetical scenario based on entertainment value....would you want to watch that every week?

• Not sure they will find it easy selling a club that is losing money at the current forecast rate.

• Thanks Shev - in reply, yes I thought good entertainment. Would definitely watch every week (although once a month more likely with family commitments!).

• This game feels like about five years ago.

• Think I was sat next to you! That cake looked nice, home made?

• I hope the guy receiving medical attention in the car park at half time is doing well