Skip to content

January Transfer Window (realistic suggestions only)

Comments

• On days like this, the club could at least prepare us for the worst by posting one of those 'how are you feeling?' charts on twitter with a sad face circled.

• Confirmed now, "club record" - but the rumoured £1m would still be that

• That said... The bit about future bonuses makes me think there wasn't a release clause 🤔

• We didn’t want to lose him, but Bristol City have matched his asking price and we can’t stand in his way.

Suggests there was.

Add ons down the road too.

• edited January 2023

"The deal includes the potential for future payments depending on various landmarks being reached in Anis's career."

• So how much of this reputed £1m transfer fee goes to the Trust? Is it £250k or has that been reduced down now to £100k?

• Meeting an asking price is very different to triggering a release clause. However, there's every chance Gaz has worded this carefully to skirt around the issue.

• Does seem odd doesn't it. He must have loads of injury issues to not even get on their bench regularly.

I've checked fairly regularly and only seen him near the team once.

• Good luck to the lad, but Bristol City. Surely he could do better than that. Don’t know what our record transfer fee is but the statement from the club , says record fee plus future potential payments. Not a bad return from someone we bought in for nothing. The reality of our financial position is this is what we need to do to survive. Let’s hope there’s plenty more gems in the Development squad.

• Must admit I always preferred him over Stewart.

Pierre was stronger, faster and better in the air, but looked down on due to his perceived lack of passing in comparison.

• Probably distracted by the pain of that summer.

The week before he left he was signing autographs for fans and some old guy said "you're off then aren't you" and he just smirked.

• Nope. Quite concerning really, as presumably any such landmarks would have to be reached while he was still at Bristol City. I look forward to him firing them into the Premier League and being made England captain next season.

• Anus Mehmeti

Too soon?

• He was Shrewsbury's player of the year in 2020, so any drop off has been swift.

• Even worse, it seems I'd actually missed this thread too, as first posts were 17 hours ago

Maybe the title didn't originally have his name in, or was stashed away!

https://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/219524-anis-mehmeti-signed-35-year-deal-confrimed/

• If the 'record fee' means it's larger than Ibe including sell-on income then this is a big transfer fee for us.

• It's an oddly phrased bit on the website about being a development squad record (so not a club record?) and matching HIS price expectation (who's Anis? Rob? Pete? Gareth?).

Blah blah blah commercial confidential etc. If it's £5million our club is safe for years with correct stewardship, if it's £1million our owners could spunk that away on magic beans in a heartbeat. As we still have some interest in the club via the trust I think we should be told at what end of the scale this transfer is.

Let's face it since Rob has come in he has been blessed with the biggest cash influx this club has ever seen. Cashing in his chips now and taking a bag of loot would not be a shock.

• It says it's a club record

• edited January 2023

The cynical part of me remembers them declaring one attendance a record.

Then it turned out it was something along the lines of a record for home fans only, and for August, excluding games v Oxford.

So that "record" fee is probably just higher than Ibe's 750k which we know already.

Matching "expectations" can only be against the clause!

• edited January 2023

The thing is, I see what you are saying but the chances are that here he would be straight into first team contention.

In the last few years both promotion from within and some less expensive players of high promise from the 2 divisions below have very much pushed through, part of it is the club philosophy and part of it is our financial situation but.

O'Leary, Vyner, Scott, Bell- for all intents and purposes they are academy.

Pring would have played Saturday if he had not been suspended, Semenyo also had he not been sold. Then Conway injured, Benarous injured for much of the season- Pring was a later bloomer yes and had injuries in the past.

Tanner- was in and out a bit but now established. Under 25 and signed from Carlisle, Atkinson- under 25 and signed from Oxford. Wilson, under 25 and signed from Forest Green on a free, spent most of time injured so far.

There are no guarantees in football, never would be but think that we are not a bad shout for young and talented players- as above many have pushed through to 1st team or squad level, and we are improving on the pitch after a slog of sorting things out on and off the field, a slog we're still involved in.

• He had an injury in 2020/21 and according to my Shrewsbury work mate was not the same again. Never regained full fitness and was a liability in many games during 21/22. Released two years after winning the player of the season accolade and can't get anywhere near the bench for a mid table league 2 team.

• He's been given number 11 shirt which indicates that he'll be definitely in the 1st team mix. Also, the images on the Bristol City site looks like he was there and signed the contract / papers last night as he also trained with the team today.

So why announce it at 4pm? The photo proves he was there (at least) last night and he trained this morning with the team, what was the delay???

• Good luck to you. Anis is a super young player with a real big future.

• Nathan Bishop trained with us for a week before we ended up not signing him. The 'dealy,' would have been waiting for everything to be offical.

• I knew this was coming but feck me it's still dissapointing.

I'll be gloomy for a moment, excuse me. Two transfer windows in a row where the squad has got weaker?

• So we are now at a very important cross-road in our development. Will the Couhigs gamble and invest to push for the play-offs or will they stick at just the two loan players already in.

We have lost quite a lot of players in this window, agreed apart from Anis, the rest were at best squad players but we are right down on numbers now.

My bet is they will take the money and line the club up for a summer sale. May well be a good thing if they have lost interest.

• We’ve signed a goalkeeper and clearly a loanee replacement for Mehmeti. Is that the end of our transfer activity. No more sales and hopefully one more forward through the door to replace the three that went out recently.