Skip to content

January Transfer Window (realistic suggestions only)

Comments

• Gareth Ainsworth must be thinking… what’s the fucking point?

• edited January 2023

I broadly agree, although if there's a release clause then our hands are tied - not a case of 'being happy to take the money'

• No offence but I would imagine that, back in December, a majority of fans would have assumed Anis was off in January. It’s only come as a surprise that it is on deadline day. Ainsworth and co clearly had a contingency plan, as we (very swiftly) brought in a similar style of player yesterday. Let’s not give up hope yet. Our squad is still fantastic.

• At least we've already replaced him - and Chem Campbell could be even better

• MBSMBS
    edited January 2023

I’m mystified about release clauses…does this mean we get 1 million from Bristol City for his services. Hard to believe that they could stump up that sort of money. I’m sure that us, the peasants, who support the club will not be told anything.

• some one who will be with us for no more than 6 months is hardly a contingency plan

• Sorry what is your point.

An employee (actually I think consultant) has moved onto a bigger role.

A player appears likely to move on to a bigger club at the same club with as you say nothing untoward going on in relation to this transfer.

You are entitled to feel what you feel of course, but why the sour taste?

• Don’t worry I’m not easily offended.

I was thinking more about the pending losses of Stryjek and Mawson, in addition to Mehmeti.

And on the contrary, I’m full of hope. Four more wins and we’re safe.

• It was a given for me that he’d be on his way in this window. When you look at his goals and the manner in which they’re scored, why wouldn’t a championship club take a punt?

Remember this £1m sell-on clause ‘fact’ is just message board rumouring. Could be correct, could be nonsense.

Always a shame when a top player moves on but Gaz has snagged some cover so we’ll see how it goes. Playoffs have started to look a bit of a long shot anyway.

• I honestly think Gareth will be a bit more philosophical about it than that. After all, he was involved in a few big money moves himself and knows what happens. In the space of 12 months he was once bought by Port Vale for £750k and then sold for £3m to Wimbledon.

As others have said he’s rolled up his sleeves and got on with it. Anis’s replacement is in the building already and we still have a strong squad in great form.

Maybe Alfie will go too, but Taff and Jack Grimmer look an outstanding combination, with Forino and Wakely in reserve.

Not all doom and gloom.

• Bristol City have just received a fee of £10.5m from AFC Bournemouth for striker Antoine Semenyo, who scored against us in the League Cup earlier this season.

• The only silver lining (if this happens as described) is that we got another year or so out of him and a £1m when he had us over a barrel a while back, can you imagine the stink if he left / leaves on a free and we get nowt? I don't think release clauses necessarily rule out sell on fees btw.

• Need "Wakeley, I'm yours" to catch on a bit in the terrace

• Why? He wanted a Development side set up whose main purpose is to develop players for the first team AND sell on at a profit to fund the continuation of the group.

I suspect he is proud to see the players he has helped move on to play at a higher level. He did after all encourage Stewart to go to Aberdeen. If Mawson does go, I could see Stewart coming back here as I see Aberdeen have taken Matt Pollock a centre half on loan from Watford.

• I wonder if we will see Chris Martin coming to us as part of the deal.

• I’m sure I’m not the only one who builds an emotional attachment to players. Watching their careers blossom whilst showing their skills in the quarters. Feeling your heart swelling as you celebrate a moment of joy together. Losing that hurts. I’m no philosopher and I’m not interested in the money. It’s something more precious than that.

• I’m not sure Gareth Ainsworth sees players simply as commodities unlike some Gasroom contributors appear to.

He will have built personal relationships with them, he has nurtured them and they have repaid that faith. It must be so richly rewarding to live that life.

He has dedicated so much time, energy and talent to get this squad challenging for success and today it’s potentially going to get completely ripped up, stamped on and throw away.

His self-motivation, hunger and desire has always impressed me. If he still has it after losing Stryjek, Mawson and Mehmeti today, I will be in awe.

• I’ve been following Stewart’s progress at Aberdeen and he has had a hellish time tbh. Completely unrated by their fans who have wanted him out for a good while. But I can’t see him coming back here again…no chance.

• Whilst Anis deserves to be at a club higher up in the pyramid I feel that Bristol City will always be languishing in the lower end of the Championship and would have thought his talent should be at a bigger club>

• Maybe no bigger club wants him or at least can offer him a realistic path to first team football.

If he goes to Bristol, he will be paid well, play in front of 20,000 people, if he plays well - play every week, develop further and if his talent allows, see a real path onwards and upwards to even bigger opportunities.

Seems a pretty good path to be honest.

• You don't think that Gareth's primary emotion while tinged with sadness, will be pride at his part in developing talent now blossoming and getting its reward.

• Does this imply that no other club thought that Anis was worth the release clause?

• That's the thing I don't understand about it all. For a million quid I can't believe there are any clubs who wouldn't want him

Maybe he's not actually going anywhere. Imagine that?

• The same source I got my release clause from also suggests there was no formal bid on the table for Anis prior to Bristol City.

• I thought that all of a player's previous club get a sell-on contribution depending on the time that has been spent with the club? Granted, it'll range from 0.5% to 2.5% but at least its better than nothing? I think this was introduced in the last 3/4 yrs as the FA's way of saying that the funds are being "shared" throughout the football pyramid?

• Sad as it will be to see Mehmeti leave (and I'm so pleased he'll leave us with the Oxford performance as a memory) I am struggling to reconcile the discussions of £1 million pound as equating to peanuts.

A million pounds still seems like a lot of money to me....

Probably not his actual value (I'd go closer to £2-3 million) with 2.5 years left on his contract but fully appreciate the bargaining position he and his agent were in in negotiating a (not that unreasonable) release fee for a still relatively unproven player.

I'm sure on a playing (and human) side GA will be sorry to see Anis go, but agree fully with @DevC that he will (hopefully) be proud in what he has done to help him develop and move on to better (well sort of) things.

Got to wish him well in the rest of his career and thank him for some outstanding memories in his relatively short time here.

Given the accuracy of @thecatwwfc's early knowledge I do really worry about losing Mawson later today though (to Luton! Noooooo.....). Less worried about Max but sure the paranoia will kick in as the day progresses.

• @ReturnToSenda You see exactly the same with Managers up and down the football league that they will sign those that they are most familiar with. Harry Redknapp and Neil Warnock both had their favourites that moved / signed for that manager's new team in the next transfer window.

We don't know where the info came from for his release clause to be activated or known about but it would have probably come from his agent as he'll get a nice payday today from Mehmeti's new deal. It's pointless in blaming one person, there could have been a number of different factors involved.

I wouldn't have been surprised if Bristol City & Wycombe had been talking for a while before this and Wycombe could have promised to sell him at the end of Jan so that they could get the most out of him this month?

• Has a release clause been confirmed? I was under the impression there wasn't one.

GA would've been well aware that there was a good chance of losing Anis this window, especially when the picture of finances became clear a few months ago.

My only rankle is it's been left to the last day of the window to sort out something that could've been clear to see on the first game of the season.

• There’s no confirmation that there is a £1m release clause so losing your mind that there is one is a bit premature. If there is thought it would rate alongside the Phillips international cap embarrassment.