Skip to content

January Transfer Window (realistic suggestions only)

Comments

• If Mawson does go today then no Gasroom poster can ever lecture others about not disclosing injury expectations ever again. I remember when he missed the Plymouth game as "a precaution". Not seen since.

• It would look bad, but it could always have been a combo of injury and then a bid coming in late though.

As when have a club ever kept a player from playing for a month because they might go?

Only thing along those lines I remember is when someone is an appearance or 2 away from triggering a games played fee.

• I am very excited to see Mehmeti's inevitable re-signing video for us in Summer 2024

• I don’t think the 1 million release clause stacks up. That’s pocket change these days in the championship so someone would have snapped him up earlier. And there would have been more clubs in the mix too.

Still what lever happens Sam Grace should get a beer tonight. Finds unheard of talent. Brilliant from day 1. Brings in record transfer fee (I hope)

• If he doesn’t go today, does that mean injury conspiracy theorists have to stop their lecturing too?

• I think the "competitive advantage" argument will be tough to make post Anis to Bristol City don't you?

• had enough of the club treating fans like purely a number and could not care less about us, I won't be renewing my ST from next season any longer, if they treat fans like this , they will stop going...sad but true

• edited January 2023

From your perspective, thats a shame you think like that and thats the action you wish to take....

For everyone else's, we couldn't care if your negative views are there or not

• Phil Alexander doesn't actually start work at Bristol City until tomorrow, which arguably makes it even worse

• I probably think like that at the moment as I really do feel that the club have distanced themselves from the supporters over the last few years. That distancing probably being a result of one owner as opposed to Trust ownership mind you.

It certainly seems that since our defeat at Wembley against Sunderland, that the Couhigs have stepped back somewhat and there as been a different feeling around our club.

I will obviously be there next season whatever happens as that is what I do but it doesn’t stop me thinking that things have changed a lot.

• It's almost like he brought them a joining gift. I don't think anything untoward has gone on, but the connection has left a bit of a sour taste.

• If nothing untoward has gone on (which it almost certainly hasn't) why do you feel the sour taste?

If the deal goes through, they are a bigger club and one of our young stars is bettering himself. Its what we do.

• One thing I don't quite understand is if the release clause is indeed £1M then there should be a whole list of clubs queuing up to sign him

So why the hell has he ended up at Bristol City?

• If the Couhig's want out as it has bee rumoured, then it makes sense for them to sell all the family silver now so that they can recover most of the money they have invested. It should be remembered that 75% of the assets (excluding the stadium) belong to them and they can do what they like with them.

One thing intrigues me is if the Couhigs sell the club, will they be personally entitled to receive any subsequent sell on fee?

• Didn't Sharky have some hookey deal where he personally owned (or had a stake in) one of our players? Ibe maybe?

• There won't be any sell-on for Mehmeti if he's had a release clause activated

• I am 47 years old and I have not been able to sleep. Because of this. It’s just fucking insane.

• rob and Pete have absolutely savaged the team, what a disgrace , however we have NEVER got the money we deserved for players ....look at other clubs like Exeter who get value out of their sell ons ...we are a laughing stock...love Anis , so sad that the team that negotiate are not fit for purpose

• Depends on the terms of the release clause

Hayes didn't personally own Ibe - that would have been illegal.

The terms of any sale dictate what the Couhigs would o would not be entitled to from any subsequent resale.

Toys seem to be flying out of the pram here. We are a small club, part of the promise we make when players come to us is that we will not stand in their way if a bigger club comes knocking. There may well have been knocks on the door. Its life.

• not letting them leave for peanuts though

• There could be by negotiation between the buyer and seller. For example, if a buy out clause was £1m, the seller could agree to accept £500k if the buyer agreed to a percentage sell on fee.

• We've done quite well with sell ons haven't we?

Ibe the big one, but others like Willaimson, Johnson and some of that youth crop had them?

But like someone says above, if there's a clause, you don't get a sell on unless it's in the clause!

• edited January 2023

Delegated as Insee others have answered the question.

• No inside scoop, but just have a hunch that the plot has changed somewhat for the Couhig's.

Previously looking at up to a £3m annual loss chasing promotion. Since the Trust refused to give them the ground, Pete has disappeared, and I think their plan has shifted. Now they are happy to take the £ for our best player which ties in with plugging the deficit with a look towards selling to new owners in the near future I think.

As someone else said, remarkable that GA has had us in the playoff picture this season given the hand he has been dealt with. No senior goalkeeper and far too light at CB to start the season. Now selling our prize asset when we are still in contention for the playoffs. He has worked miracles but even he isn't going to be able to get us into the top 6 / chance of promotion to the Championship with these factors at play. He has done some job to even have us in the conversation.

Couhig's started the season sticking with their ambitious plan to returning to the Championship, now I get the feeling they are twisting towards an exit.

• edited January 2023

At least if Mehmeti does end up at Bristol City today they're in a higher division.

I'm still sickened by that whole Mickey Bell scenario where he joined them in the same tier.

• Because the bloke was literally working for us less than 2 weeks ago...

• I suppose it's possible, but highly unlikely based on how I understand release clauses tend to work - I think it's usually that fee and that's your lot.