Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol Rovers

Comments

• Wonderful post match interview with @bluntphil & David Wheeler, he comes across so well, he is a real credit to himself, his family & the club.

• I do believe Barton has managed one fewer club in the Championship than Ainsworth, so maybe he should keep his mouth shut.

• The highlight of his managerial career was being one game away from Wembley.

• I'm not sure I'd disagree strongly with anything he said there.

• Imagine having your club managed by a character like Barton.

• Absolutely craven from Barton, sniping at GA like a jealous teenager while pretending to compliment him.

One thing I will always be proud of GA for, is that he is one of the few managers who can show grace in defeat, most notably against Southend and Sunderland. For every other manager, it is the same old passive aggressive whining. How dare we score more than them!

• As for the fans, saying the referee was awful when the only notable officiating mistake led to their goal and was down to the lino anyway. Blaming it on our gamesmanship when they were quite happy to timewaste and dive when they had the lead.

I know all fans are biased, but I do think on here we tend to give credit where credit is due more than most groups of fans.

• Take a bow David Wheeler….fantastic performance today. What more is there to say about Supermax…yet another great goalkeeping performance. He could turn out to be one of our best signings for a long time. Credit also to Sam Vokes who was a handful all afternoon and never stopped running!

• Additionally, how on earth does Barton think their ground is better than ours?

There's is a mess of ill designed stands that they're desperate to move from.

The only thing better about their ground than ours is that you can get away from it quicker!

• So no more taking the knee?

• Barton's interview in video form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYRuSQoY9WI

Great to hear.

• Grimmer's challenge for his booking was a thing of beauty 😍

• We beat them. . End of!!!!

• edited December 2022

He said he wouldn't swap any of our players for his, which seems fairly silly when you look at some of the players we've got.

Said their ground is better than ours, which again is unlikely.

Suggested Gareth's "style" is why he hasn't gone elsewhere, when he doesn't know for certain that it wasn't Gareth turning other jobs down etc.

As a body of work it was prestige bitterness, not even cleverly layered as back handed compliments.

• To be fair to Barton he has put together a decent team but our physicality was just too much for them. Great o see Thompson back and we will have the great Alfie Mawson back for the next game.

We are really gelling now and even with Anis not at his very best, we showed once again that we are a match for any team in this league.

Make sure you keep that play-off final date free. COYB!!!!

• I doubt many of our players would sign for any club managed by Barton.

• If you didn’t think Barton was a complete twat before, you certainly would after his post match comments. Certainly Ainsworth want need much pre match talk before the away fixture. Just put up on the board , Barton’s comments “ I wouldn’t take any of their players”.

• That’s a shocking mixture of ignorance, arrogance, football snobbery, poor judgement and utter bollocks.

Hang your head in shame, Barton. And you too, @HCblue...

• The idea that Mawson for one wouldn't walk into any other team in this division is quite chucklesome.

Mehmeti, Tafazolli, Scowen would certainly get in a very high percentage of other teams as well.

Then we can argue a good case for a fair few others too.

• One nil down...two one up...we're gonna win the play off cup

with a nick nack football whack give a dog a bone...

why don't rovers retire on home?...

• Listening to interviews like that should fill us with absolute joy.

It is very much in our favour that opposition managers and teams think that about us. Gives us a miles better chance of getting promoted.

Don't get upset by it, don't try and argue against it, revel in it

• Anyone who isn't embarrassed of who they were last year probably isn't learning enough. (Not my words.)

As for today, no.

• Maybe I'm getting overexcited and jumping the gun but I can't wait until we play Everton next season.

• edited December 2022

Appreciate your substantive observations.

I'm pretty sure I'd have some of ours over some of theirs. It would be understandable why he might feel otherwise and, what's more, be inclined for a number of reasons to say so in interview with his local press.

Neither ground is a thing of great aesthetic joy. Each has its own character. Also, see above.

Gareth's style is indeed, as has been said here many times by many people, utilitarian and pragmatic more than it is pleasing to the spirit. On balance, I think we're rather glad it's so since it probably has made a difference to the number of job offers he might have had and we're glad still to have him, aren't we.

I don't think I'd have been minded to say what he said nor, if I did, the way he said it. But I'll not say he was obviously wrong in essence - his observations were largely subjective. I've a certain respect for those who say what they're thinking out loud and an above average, it seems, desire to stop myself applying my own biases to draw negative conclusions.