Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol Rovers

Comments

• About 20 minutes too late to bring Hanlan on

• It would appear that Father Christmas has taken up residence in High Wycombe, South Buckinghamshire!

• Excellent result after a shaky start

• Phew! Great result.

• Great win lads!

• Our form leading into and through Christmas is normally a bit iffy isn’t it? It’s been far from that this season. Onwards and upwards!

• Bring on the Pilgrims!

• Great win. Glad my earlier pessimism was misplaced.

• Playoffs at the halfway point. Maybe that supercomputer knew something.

• I’m still ruling out automatics!

• Grimmer had him in his pocket. Another outstanding performance from him.

• edited December 2022

Rovers forum thread is hilarious. They start by insulting us on here, reach a pinnacle of cockiness at 1-0, and then begin the slow descent into losing 2-1, finally hitting the usual bingo notes of us being the poorest team they have seen in a year, and how we are time wasters (did they see their own time wasting when 1-0 up?).

Comedy gold.

• Max is a fantastic keeper. If he could sort out kicking, he'd easily play in the championship

• Another great result against a decent but not league-leading team. I wouldn’t pay too much attention to us moving into the playoffs as there’s a fair few games in hand around us, but positive to see our consistency vs where we were a few months ago in the bottom third of the table.

The more the game went on with only a one-goal lead, the less likely it was that Vokes would come off, as he’s a useful asset defending our box. Wheeler MoM but Scowen also his usual brilliant self.

I’d expect to see Mawson and Hanlan back in the starting 11 for Plymouth, as Hanlan’s pace I think will be a better way to exploit their back 5 (particularly Dan Scarr). Hoping for another Mehmeti bombshell down there.

Finally - credit to the ref today who I felt managed the game well. Easy to credit the ref when we’ve just won but I think we’d hopefully all be fair enough to credit his performance even in a defeat.

• That’s a real pig if you’re a Rovers fan. :)

• edited December 2022

The ref was indeed superb - gave them a yellow at the first sign of time wasting with the lead, and did exactly the same to us. Sent a great message there, though nothing can be done about Max's faux injuries, which I find embarrassing.

• Superb win and into the playoffs for the first time in ages. A few teams have games in hand but for now, brilliant.

It's almost like having a near full squad available gives you more chance of better results.

• Ainsworth confirmed he had a genuine knock. Adding “today”, as opposed to when he normally goes down, was quite funny.

• edited December 2022

• BBC report on winner:

"Another low cross from Mehmeti was met by Lewis Wing and, after his first-time attempt initially hit the post and was cleared, he bundled the ball home."

That is not at all what happened!

• 'It's beginning to look a lot like play-offs'

Ainsworth knows

• A great result. Am always in a tustle mentally with wanting us to control the game more, but knowing that's not what we do!

• Really good result and well earned too.

We grew into the game after a bad start and the complexion of it totally changed when we equalised. I didn’t think anyone in our side started well, but that’s football and that’s what happens sometimes I suppose. I was worried about how often our back 4 got turned early in the game but given it was Taf’s first game back and Grimmer filling in again out of position this was probably to be expected, as Brizzle’s movement was good in the final 3rd.

Their problem is defensively I thought they were shit!

• The comments from the official Brizzle Twitter feed were rather embarrassing and hopefully will make a guest appearance on this weeks Opposition View. But even worse than those comments was the nonsense spouted out of Barton’s mouth.

https://t.co/gqfNYGgq1S

You can read them here. I’m glad our players play in a similar way to that of our manager. If their players did the same, most of them would miss games due to community service.

• “when I see the game get played, I have a different style.”

We all remember your style Joey. Wonder if he got the cigars out at their Christmas party.