Skip to content

Match day thread: Southend

2»

Comments

• Once again the timing of our substitutions was poor.If we revert to the long ball which we did in the second half Craig should have been replaced by Hollaway far sooner.We can see it Gaz.Why cant you?

• Yeah, he just makes terrible decision after terrible decision doesn't he? God knows what he's even still doing at Wycombe with support like this.

• Totally agree way to late. Thought Craig did well today though.not naming no names but I could say one or two could of been subbed bit earlier.

• @Rolo said:
    Yeah, he just makes terrible decision after terrible decision doesn't he? God knows what he's even still doing at Wycombe with support like this.

It's a few fans opinion, including mine, that doesn't question our support for our fan owned club.

• @Ciderk1d - It was more of a reply to @One_of_the_81 but my device won't let me quote...

• Thank you cider1.Yes its all about opinions!Im as impressed as anyone about the transformation and cant praise the manager high enough but I do feel that we canbe even more effective if substitutions when needed like yesterday are made earlier! When Holloway came on for his cameo performance you could see the two centre halves were rattled by the physical presence.It had been too easy withe Craig for most of the second half and the ball constantly coming back after the punt upfield didnt give our defence time to breath

• Games like this really show that Ainsworth is still a fairly raw manager who is learning his craft. He (and his backroom team) made a huge leap in talent evaluation (which we have all enjoyed immensely this year), but now he is having a little difficulty making the right changes in-game.

Hopefully experiences, like yesterday, will guide him on how to improve in that area too.

At least we came away with something. That is the sort of thing that has to happen if we are serious about the P word.

• There is a rather amusing picture doing the rounds on Facebook of one of our supporter's faceplanting while celebrating Craig's goal yesterday:

• Listening to GA post interview, He stated second half, nothing stuck up top, but continued nevertheless, hopefully lessons learnt.> @StrongestTeam said:

Although its pretty clear Holloway would have been more effective yesterday especially in the second half I think you have to acknowledge the reasons why he doesn't chop and change every five mins, we have a mostly settled side and small squad and when someone like Craig finally gets a goal you dont want to ruin that confidence gain by hauling him straight off. I'm guessing this is the theory and maybe what we lose in individual games by not gambling is made up over the season in spirit and fight, hence how we stay together and don't get beat.

Yes, I agree the Craig's deflection goal, would have given him the world of confidence, But you can't complain about a small squad and continual play the same players for 95% of the game and then say the lads were tired and leggy towards the end.

Settled side?, we have thrown in loaness straight into the team, Rowe was thrust into back four and had two awesome peformances, to then get dropped to the bench. So what about 19 year old, Rowe's confidence?

Anyway hopefully Fred recovers for the "Big Showdown "next week and the players re-energised for Shrewsbury on Saturday.

• Would you really play Rowe over either Pierre or Mawson?

• @Chris said:
    Would you really play Rowe over either Pierre or Mawson?

Why not? Did a good job and it's not like we kept clean sheets.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Was just trying to understand it really but either Holloway should have been on much earlier or he should have told them to stop banging it forward.

Spot on. We did neither. But anyway, I can't see that type of 2nd half performance being repeated with the characters at the club.

Onwards and upwards COYB.

• Pretty sure these "lads lads lads" do this sort of thing on purpose most games. They spent most of Saturday stood up at the front despite knowing they were blocking peoples views. Probably considered annoying multiple people as "Top Bantz".

• You can't be moaning about these boys stood at the front.... They made our celebrations look crazy in the highlights and contributed to the good atmosphere. People that moan they can't see when sat down at away games really do grind my gears @BlueytheSwan

• Cambridge away, was awesome, 10 solid minutes of "Chairboys army", which was song in harmony by all away stand in unison with our drummer. Was epic.

• @IanBeale I don't have a problem with standing, I stood myself for the whole game. But I didn't position myself in front of people that had chosen to sit in an area away from "standing" people. Now go away before you get bog-washed by Phil Mitchell again! :-)