Revamping the cup competitions
Though I am very much "League first", I remember when the cups were magic. I know some still see them that way, but for me ever since 2000 when Man United did not enter the FA Cup, they have gradually been devalued, to the point where they are largely reserve competitions.
Here are my ideas to get them back on track, even a little.
1: Teams must start at least five players who played in the last league match, in every round.
2: Semis to revert to neutral venues, as to me it takes away from Wembley to have the semis there. There is also an argument to have the final travel round the country to alternate venues.
3: Winner goes into the qualifying round for the Champions League (obviously would need to be agreed with UEFA). This would focus the minds of those middling PL teams who eschew the cup for finishing 9th instead of 10th.
- Bin off the Papa Johns, combining the ideas and prize monies with the current competition,
- No PL Teams or U21 PL teams - EFL Cup is for the 72 EFL teams.
- Winner gets a spot in the Euro Conference League (at least).
- Teams must start at least five players who played in the last league match, in every round.
- Straight knock out like the FA Cup, with neutral venue single legged semis to mimic the format of the primary competition.
- Some Parachute Payment/Solidarity money diverted towards a substantial increase in round by round prize fund.