Skip to content

Josh Scowen re-signs

Comments

• I’m looking forward to seeing what Gaz can do with Josh. He will definitely get the best out of him, something that some of his previous managers have perhaps struggled to do.

• According to Sunderland fans he can't shoot, can't pass, can't tackle and is one of the worst midfielders they've ever seen. Probably a little upset to see him move on to a bigger club. Welcome back Josh!

• I still recall Josh describing his style of play to a team he was signing for (Barnsley?) as, "I like a tackle"!

• edited June 2021

Scowen is far more all-action than the kind of midfielder who sits deep in front of the defence, just spraying passes. Assuming it's a back three then I expect Thompson will sit slightly deeper - and drop into that back three at times - with Scowen doing the driving and carrying. He's no Adeniran in an attacking sense, but we'd have done extremely well to replace like-for-like there.

• Have you completely written off Dom Gape @ReturnToSenda , twelve months ago regarded as arguably our best player. Subject to injury and form, I suspect all three will have major parts to play over the season.

• @DevC said:
    Have you completely written off Dom Gape @ReturnToSenda , twelve months ago regarded as arguably our best player. Subject to injury and form, I suspect all three will have major parts to play over the season.

No, but if it's one or the other then Thompson is the superior player.

• I presume this means that we're probably out of the running to sign Adeniran now. I can't pretend I won't be disappointed if none of Adeniran, Muskwe and Knight sign on, all three having been expected to be out of contract and potentially available - but that's football. Scowen in the prime of his career more than an adequate replacement. We need to concentrate on the wingbacks (Obita and McCarthy will need back-ups) and the forwards now.

• @aloysius said:
    I presume this means that we're probably out of the running to sign Adeniran now. I can't pretend I won't be disappointed if none of Adeniran, Muskwe and Knight sign on, all three having been expected to be out of contract and potentially available - but that's football. Scowen in the prime of his career more than an adequate replacement. We need to concentrate on the wingbacks (Obita and McCarthy will need back-ups) and the forwards now.

Disagree. I think Scowen will take the role that Bloomfield held and knight filled in for. We also had Ofoborh for a while to play the combat, break up play, quick pass role. Adeniran can run the ball better and is more of a box to box player. Both work in the squad along with Gape, Thompson etc.

• Aren't Jacobsen and Grimmer the FB/WB cover?

Centre back looks like the obvious currently bare area to me with just Steward and Tafazolli with cover from McCarthy and kids.

• @DevC said:
    Aren't Jacobsen and Grimmer the FB/WB cover?

Centre back looks like the obvious currently bare area to me with just Steward and Tafazolli with cover from McCarthy and kids.

I guess we'll be able to see from this summer's transfer dealings how committed Gareth is to the 3-5-2 system. I don't think either JJ or Grimmer work as wing-backs, even a division below. But they do operate as very strong options in a back three. It'll be fascinating to see whether Gareth signs more centre backs or wing backs as that decision will really shape this season's style of play.

• edited June 2021

Grimmer could play as a wing-back if need be, but I'd much rather have Wheeler/Horgan there. JJ? Absolutely no chance - no pace.

• edited June 2021

Grimmer can play CB in a three or a four - although he's far more suited to the RCB role in a three - but if we're committed to the three then we'll probably be ok signing just one more out-and-out CB who can play in both set-ups.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@aloysius said:
    I presume this means that we're probably out of the running to sign Adeniran now. I can't pretend I won't be disappointed if none of Adeniran, Muskwe and Knight sign on, all three having been expected to be out of contract and potentially available - but that's football. Scowen in the prime of his career more than an adequate replacement. We need to concentrate on the wingbacks (Obita and McCarthy will need back-ups) and the forwards now.

Disagree. I think Scowen will take the role that Bloomfield held and knight filled in for. We also had Ofoborh for a while to play the combat, break up play, quick pass role. Adeniran can run the ball better and is more of a box to box player. Both work in the squad along with Gape, Thompson etc.

I think we'll see two from Thompson, Gape and Scowen alongside one from McCleary, Wheeler, Mehmeti and Horgan. I don't think we need to sign any more midfielders now - we're pretty spoilt for choice!

• I keep forgetting about Nick Freeman. I expect him to move on, but you never know...

• This is the fifth summer in a row that we've re-signed a former player - and we've re-signed at least one in either the summer or January window every season since 2015/16. I think that's pretty special.

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@yorkyblue said:
    When you need cheering and this happens, just perfect. Need to Mrs blue over her op yesterday and all will be well.

Best wishes to Mrs blue

Yes, I hope all is well, @yorkyblue.

• @NiceCarrots said:
    Welcome back Josh, and we hope Josh's dad too.

Yes indeed. Josh,s Dad is a legend himself.

And hope @yorkyblue’s wife makes a good recovery.

• Medical update. MrsBlue is home now, I think she must feel ok she is nagging already. Thanks for all the best wishes.

• What a fantastic signing... welcome back

• Great signing. Let’s hope the rest of the signings are of this standard. Exciting times.

• edited June 2021

Well, that must mean a goal against Sunderland at least.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@DevC said:
    Have you completely written off Dom Gape @ReturnToSenda , twelve months ago regarded as arguably our best player. Subject to injury and form, I suspect all three will have major parts to play over the season.

I know you're the stats man but I completely disagree with this. Gape has always been ahead of Thompson in my opinion. Shame he was injured for almost all of last season

• edited June 2021

@WanderingDays said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@DevC said:

I know you're the stats man but I completely disagree with this. Gape has always been ahead of Thompson in my opinion. Shame he was injured for almost all of last season

This has nothing to do with stats - although I suspect Thompson would come out on top by a lot of key metrics on the defensive side of the game. They are slightly different players, but I'd rather have Thompson than Gape in the current system.

• Thompson was outstanding last season.

• Is Thompson’s contract up this summer?

• Gape Thompson Thompson Gape? Ain't it grand we got both of them?

• edited June 2021

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    Is Thompson’s contract up this summer?

No, not until at least next summer. He was one of the players who had their deal extended "through next year and beyond" in January, but I don't think the club ever specified the exact length.

• Funny isn't it...Barnsley and QPR liked him...but Sunderland seems to be a real test for most players...which they most often seem to fail. I seem to recall he was pretty good for us. Should make the games next season even more fraught!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Funny isn't it...Barnsley and QPR liked him...but Sunderland seems to be a real test for most players...which they most often seem to fail. I seem to recall he was pretty good for us. Should make the games next season even more fraught!

Almost as if the environment at Sunderland has some kind of negative impact on players' performances

• Think the main problem is Sunderland fans, they just seem to think they are stuck in some time warp and they are actually still a Premiership club ! No player they have it would seem is good enough for them, they even hated and want rid of the bloke that scored 30 goals for them last season for gods sake, he's out of contract and probably leaving for a championship club and they are happy about it. They just can't accept they are a league one team.