Skip to content

Rob Couhig message to supporters

Comments

• May I refer readers to my quote on page 85 of ‘Close Quarters’.
    And to quote another aphorism of mine
    ‘“When the wooing stops the washing up begins”.

• Pete certainly has a more realistic view of our immediate future as a yo-yo club. No doubt helped by the fact he’s able to be here.

I think Rob has realized, as the rest of us have, that the gap between L1 and the Championship is much bigger than we thought.

• I was not suggesting that at all @JohnBoy nor would I. As he was not really announcing anything, personally I did not see the point of the e-mail. Other opinions are available.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I was not suggesting that at all @JohnBoy nor would I. As he was not really announcing anything, personally I did not see the point of the e-mail. Other opinions are available.

I guess the shocking performances and run of form since our Covid break, coupled with a lot of chatter on various fan groups about if we should get rid of GA probably prompted it.

• Crikey that’s a mess. Either he’s lying or he’s foolish when he says he believes we will stay up.

• I think it’s straight forward US management style and yes it contrasts with UK management style.

So...stop blaming other people, stop being happy just to make up the numbers. If we want to stay in the Championship we have to act as though we belong in the Championship.

I think we have at least 11 championship level players in the squad. Let’s get them on the pitch together and see where we go. No more playing people because ‘they deserve a run out’ or ‘deserve a goal in the Championship’.

• @TrueBlu said:
    Ticking off Management and Media Team. Me thinks Petes taken his foot off the Gas! Surely this is his responsibility. I guess he’s had a massive Rollacking

It some times helps to take more of an outside look. I can see a scenario where RC watched the game coverage back from the other night and thought it was all a bit amateur and not the product he wants to offer. Spotting the need for some change and implementation aren't the same of course. We also aren't party to the internal conversations. If Gaz, Pete , Andrew Howard and team genuinely told Rob they were happy with the squad and the January window he'd have a right to be pissed if that turned to white flags a couple of weeks later. Anyway gives us a little more hope and interest for upcoming games.

• I think it’s a good message to get a reaction out of everyone at the club. I agree with other posters that the statement would have been good a month ago but I can also see the utility of it now. After a miserable month it would be easy for us to self-destruct and accept defeat. I think he’s ensured that we continue to fight and not accept our probably relegation lying down. I also like the message of at least outwardly projecting that we belong in this league. How can you hope to compete if you don’t believe you should be there. Too many times this year we have justified poor performances with oh well it is the championship. Many of the goals we have conceded haven’t been individual brilliance which I could accept. Hopefully it gets us going

• @JohnBoy said:

@Wendoverman said:
    I was not suggesting that at all @JohnBoy nor would I. As he was not really announcing anything, personally I did not see the point of the e-mail. Other opinions are available.

I guess the shocking performances and run of form since our Covid break, coupled with a lot of chatter on various fan groups about if we should get rid of GA probably prompted it.

I know he was a Trump fan but God forbid he's taking Facebook, Twitter and, yes even the Gasroom, to accurately gauge opinion of GA.

• edited February 2021

RC has been a great owner so far. My only worry all along with American owners is that they may not understand the vagaries of the English football pyramid. We are not acting humble owing to a lack of self-belief. We are humble (if that is the right word) because we have nowhere near the financial clout of those around us. Aside from baseball (where, to be fair, the smallest teams still spend a boatload of money and cannot get relegated), clubs/franchises have every right to think they can challenge if they are well run, whereas here you can be well run and still falter because your success has taken you above your means.

The reality of football is that clubs usually find equilibrium and rise or fall according to their size eventually. Is there anyone here who genuinely thinks we will never spend another season in L2? It's not being star struck or demeaning of oneself to acknowledge it is extremely difficult for a club of our size to survive even one year in the second tier, and that acknowledgement is being verified before our eyes. I can understand RC being more upset than most, as it is his money being spent, but it would be very unfair for this season to reflect as a negative on GA when we are only here because of him and others. Ironically, that negativity would mean it would have been better for GA if we had not got promoted!

We need probably the greatest escape in history from here, so I will give this to Rob - if we stay up, he has called his shot in the most epic and prophetic way possible!

• I dread to think what will happen if Gaz plays the same team in the same formation and we are robbed by a couple of terrible refereeing decisions... :smiley:

• We have played poorly since the Spurs game. We need to win 11 of the remaining 19 games to stay up. If we play like we did against Spurs for the main that is possible (but would be an amazing turnaround).

If we go down I think the squad has improved this season so we have a chance to do well next year. I think this email signals that some of the key players from the last few seasons maybe moving on before long.

• Just for context, 11 wins of 19, assuming we lost the rest, is ironically 1.74 points per game, or 80 over the course of a season. We need promotion form.

• @davecz said:
    It will be interesting to see the views of posters who constantly remind the rest of us about who we are and our financial position if we make a slightly controversial comment.
    Clearly Rob Couhig doesn't share the same view.

I don't understand. In a previous thread you posted this: "i think most posters know we should not be in the Championship."

Btw I think most posters know should be in the Championship, because we won the play-offs.

• Having reflected more on the email, is this some double bluff by Rob Couhig to try and pacify the ever increasing noise of fans about our current situation, the content which he already agreed with the key internal stakeholders. Otherwise I think he has opened up a can of worms. Has he really given Ainsworth the tools to stay up? Criticism of your nephew who has lived away from his family for a year!! Critical of the PR team that he has always lauded. Dangerous tactics with little benefit apart from appeasing the fans.

• @LX1 said:

@davecz said:
    It will be interesting to see the views of posters who constantly remind the rest of us about who we are and our financial position if we make a slightly controversial comment.

I don't understand. In a previous thread you posted this: "i think most posters know we should not be in the Championship."

Btw I think most posters know should be in the Championship, because we won the play-offs.

You must have a good memory or have you because I don’t remember posting that.

• We might well get better results with a more expensive squad and the same manager.

We would be unlikely to get better results with the same squad and a different manager.

On the face of it, Rob Couhig's note promises the same squad, the same manager…and better results.

With the best will in the world, all three almost certainly won’t happen together, at least in this league. Rob Couhig surely understands this.

So one must assume either that -

a) He wants to buck everyone up, banish any suggestion of drifting towards demotion, which may be smart.

or

b) He is preparing to try to get better results in this league with the same squad and a different manager, which wouldn't be.

• I’m a little surprised that some people have take exception to Rob’s message. I have to agree that there has been a lot of ‘look at this lovely place’ in the commentary and even from GA over recent games and that’s not us. I remember the first time we went to Sunderland we walked in the front door cos we deserved it, now I feel we knock at the door somewhere near the bins.

We could never have expected to transform a squad so quickly between the 13th of July and the start of the season but we seem to have lost our philosophy and swagger. Rob is suggesting that the swagger needs to come back and I agree. Let’s not reverse out of the league. Let’s go down fighting if we have to.

I’m with Rob. Up the Wyc

• First, I fully expect that we will be playing in the Championship next year. With 19 games to go, there are plenty of opportunities for us to make up the necessary points.

Blarney

• @davecz said:

@LX1 said:

@davecz said:

You must have a good memory or have you because I don’t remember posting that.

'Match day thread: Birmingham' (Feb 3rd)

• The number of different interpretations of this letter to season ticket holders is rather remarkable.

Firstly I think it's incredible that people believe Gareth Ainsworth needs a kick up the arse. It shows a lack of faith in the person who has taken up from the bottom of the Football League to the Championship. I don't think he needs a lecture from anyone and I am not sure how kindly he will take to it.

Secondly, expecting to stay up given the position we are in today is not realistic. What will be the consequences of this perceived failure?

Thirdly, I think it's refreshing to see Rob say we will offer no excuses.

Lastly, if the tone of the meeting this morning with Gareth and Pete was similar to this letter, I fear there will be consequences.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    The number of different interpretations of this letter to season ticket holders is rather remarkable.

Firstly I think it's incredible that people believe Gareth Ainsworth needs a kick up the arse. It shows a lack of faith in the person who has taken up from the bottom of the Football League to the Championship. I don't think he needs a lecture from anyone and I am not sure how kindly he will take to it.

Secondly, expecting to stay up given the position we are in today is not realistic. What will be the consequences of this perceived failure?

Thirdly, I think it's refreshing to see Rob say we will offer no excuses.

Lastly, if the tone of the meeting this morning with Gareth and Pete was similar to this letter, I fear there will be consequences.

The tone of Gareth's interview on Tuesday was all wrong after such a sh1t performance. I am not sure he meant it but it came across as if we had a lovely trip to a big club. A big club that should have been beaten. The last three games (in all fairness with the exception of Spurs all the post COVID games) I have been fuming with the performances. Brentford we lost the second half so meekly it was embarrassing. Not a benchmark but I don't think a single player got booked because they were they were so furious about losing they did a tackle that was too hard.

• @davecz said:

Did I not read two recent posts from your good self in which you referred to the club’s financial disadvantage compared to other clubs in the Championship?

• One thing I’ve learned from this thread is that no matter what he may have written, everyone can find something in it to support their particular position.
    For me, it’s a call to arms and a bit of a gee-up. We’ve all had them at work without walking out or crying about it.

• What a story it would be if on the last game of the season, needing a win to stay up, Bayo came on as a Sub in the 88th minute and scored his one and only Championship goal and kept Wycombe up.

• @davecz said:

Throughout his tenure as manager, Ainsworth, quite rightly , has received full and wholesome support.

@davecz Sadly, not so. You might be surprised to learn that going back years he has been the subject of a lot of abuse. Even this season there are some posters on here who have been giving him gip for months now...during and after most games.

• Except for staying up and Bayo's goal (which I assume when it comes the media team will have to call his second in the Championship) haven't we exhausted all the 'firsts' now anyway?

• @glasshalffull said:

@davecz said:

Did I not read two recent posts from your good self in which you referred to the club’s financial disadvantage compared to other clubs in the Championship?

Still no comment on Rob Couhig email? Not normally lost for words.

• @davecz said:

@glasshalffull said:

@davecz said:

I think you'll find he did. Check back at 5.45

• @Wendoverman said:

@davecz said:

@glasshalffull said:

@davecz said:

I think you'll find he did. Check back at 5.45

Not @glasshalffull .