Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Match day thread: Cardiff

123468

Comments

  • Excellent result.

    Ikpeazu looks a total game changer in so many ways. A brilliant performance from him.

    So nice to have a two goal lead to defend, which we did excellently for the most part. Good work from all the players bought on to manage the game out. Particularly enjoyed seeing Bayo sprinting at the end to rush the keeper, forcing the offside with Cardiff’s final boot forward. What a superb example that sets.

    Still appalled by Wilson’s antics and I can’t believe some people are claiming we were lucky not to have players sent off. The way he flailed around was shameful and not the way anyone behaves when they’re injured. No surprise he trotted back on comfortably after both ‘incidents’.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Excellent performance from the boys tonight mixed it up brilliantly , having the two big guys back was a big bonus.The young lad in center mid is going to be a big star.

  • Excellent performance, almost impossible to pick a man of the match! We looked like a championship team tonight.

  • @Wendoverman said:
    I know its game management but fannying about in the corner is not for me.

    Agree @Wendoverman - I guess it is seen as a means to an end these days. Glad it wasn't around in '66 otherwise Geoff Hurst would have headed straight for the corner flag rather than making history with one of football's iconic moments.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Really enjoyed that. Looked really good going forwards first half and worked really hard second half to protect the lead.

    Apart from the goals though my stand out moment of the game was midway through the first half when one of their midfielders was moving the ball forwards only to find Thompson had somehow got in front of him. Brilliant. (Could easily have got sent off for that tackle though)

  • Uche reminded me of a cross between Mooney (the “backing into the defender” trick) and Akinde (the forward runs barging all interlopers out of the way).

    We seemed to create a better quality of chance this time round - we’ve had game after game of endless crosses that just get mopped up by the defence, or flick-obs going nowhere. The attacking play was a lot more positive.

  • Great end to 2020 and unbeaten in 2021.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Huge win. Uche made such a difference. Does all the hold up play that Bayo does so well, but also runs the channels and is a real threat.

    Not many clear chances, but we took them and that's the difference to recent weeks.

    Wonderful way to finish 2020, let's hope we can build on this on Saturday.

  • Re: Wilsons rolling around after Thompsons tackle, I thought he had to leave the pitch if a trainer came on? An extended period of time on the floor then gets up and takes the free kick, surely he should have been off the field of play until the action restarts. Think that's what Gareth was "making a point about" to the ref as they walked off at halftime.

  • That's one will please @glasshalffull!

    An excellent performance and gives a glimmer of hope that we might achieve the unbelievable in what remains of the season.

    What joy that would be ...

  • @EwanHoosaami said:
    Re: Wilsons rolling around after Thompsons tackle, I thought he had to leave the pitch if a trainer came on? An extended period of time on the floor then gets up and takes the free kick, surely he should have been off the field of play until the action restarts. Think that's what Gareth was "making a point about" to the ref as they walked off at halftime.

    The rolling about is one thing, he obviously got hit, but the ongoing effing and blinding at the ref just shows him having a bit of an attitude problem. He's a real talent but achieved nothing tonight and maybe showed why he isn't playing higher, who cares, he's not our problem.

  • Excellent result. Great effort by Uche. Certainly made a difference. In January we have a series of games that we could win. Playing like we did today we have a chance.

  • edited December 2020

    Superb! What a difference having our two absent giants either end of the pitch made!

    I got a bit giddy in the 90th min wanting us to play those free kicks in and try and score a 3rd. But their late goal showed me why the players are a lot wiser than me!

  • @StrongestTeam said:

    @EwanHoosaami said:
    Re: Wilsons rolling around after Thompsons tackle, I thought he had to leave the pitch if a trainer came on? An extended period of time on the floor then gets up and takes the free kick, surely he should have been off the field of play until the action restarts. Think that's what Gareth was "making a point about" to the ref as they walked off at halftime.

    The rolling about is one thing, he obviously got hit, but the ongoing effing and blinding at the ref just shows him having a bit of an attitude problem. He's a real talent but achieved nothing tonight and maybe showed why he isn't playing higher, who cares, he's not our problem.

    Shows what a great job we do of finding loanees with a good attitude.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • What a performance that was all over the pitch. Uche, Wheeler, Tafazolli and Mehmeti in particular deserve mentions, but what a cross from McCleary for the second goal and as always, how good is Curtis Thompson?

    I particularly enjoyed an accomplished, skilfull and mature performance from Mehmeti and he must now have fought his way right into the starting XI. Hats off to GA, Dobbo, Sam Grace and whoever else has found him in non-league. What a talent.

    A specific mention too for David Wheeler - scorer of our first and last goals of 2020. What a signing he has proven, so consistent and always giving everything wherever he plays. The man epitomises our club.

    Onwards and upwards from here to a run of fixtures in January - February with some huge games against teams around us. This could just be the catalyst we need!

  • @Brownie said:
    What a performance that was all over the pitch. Uche, Wheeler, Tafazolli and Mehmeti in particular deserve mentions, but what a cross from McCleary for the second goal and as always, how good is Curtis Thompson?

    I particularly enjoyed an accomplished, skilfull and mature performance from Mehmeti and he must now have fought his way right into the starting XI. Hats off to GA, Dobbo, Sam Grace and whoever else has found him in non-league. What a talent.

    A specific mention too for David Wheeler - scorer of our first and last goals of 2020. What a signing he has proven, so consistent and always giving everything wherever he plays. The man epitomises our club.

    Onwards and upwards from here to a run of fixtures in January - February with some huge games against teams around us. This could just be the catalyst we need!

    Thompson has to be a contender for greatest signing ever?

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • A great team performance and feels wrong to single any one of them out, but I think Uche proved more transformative than any of us imagined, Wheeler might just be the most complete player in the squad (and how the fuck did he get so much spin on that header?! Shane Warned would have been proud), and Mehmeti has truly arrived now - look after him, of course, but he's got to have a sustained run in the starting 11 now and I can see why Gaz thinks he can go to the top.

  • Tremendous scenes all round

  • @chairboyscentral said:
    A great team performance and feels wrong to single any one of them out, but I think Uche proved more transformative than any of us imagined, Wheeler might just be the most complete player in the squad (and how the fuck did he get so much spin on that header?! Shane Warned would have been proud), and Mehmeti has truly arrived now - look after him, of course, but he's got to have a sustained run in the starting 11 now and I can see why Gaz thinks he can go to the top.

    How long is the initial contract Mehmeti signed? Surely a key piece of business is to make sure he's now signed up for the long term.

  • The big plus points for us in that were Ikpeazu and Mehmeti. Uche had been brought back maybe a little early from injury to help take the pressure off Bayo, but he put his stamp on the game with some excellent forward play and mucked in with the pressing more than Bayo would be able to.
    Mehmeti had his best game yet for us I think, his steadfast refusal to hit it long gives us that extra dimension we sorely lack when the backline seem to be trying to build up a few layers of ice on the ball when trying to set up aerial battles for Akinfenwa/Ikpeazu/Wheeler.

    Hopefully we'll be in a better position in terms of injuries coming into January. We have some massive games coming in quick succession against QPR, Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham City. If we can take the points in those we will be in a much healthier position.

  • @Brownie said:

    @chairboyscentral said:
    A great team performance and feels wrong to single any one of them out, but I think Uche proved more transformative than any of us imagined, Wheeler might just be the most complete player in the squad (and how the fuck did he get so much spin on that header?! Shane Warned would have been proud), and Mehmeti has truly arrived now - look after him, of course, but he's got to have a sustained run in the starting 11 now and I can see why Gaz thinks he can go to the top.

    How long is the initial contract Mehmeti signed? Surely a key piece of business is to make sure he's now signed up for the long term.

    I'm not sure cause he was one of the raft of 'B team' signings that got announced together - it might only be a year?

  • Six of the seven games after the FA Cup are against teams we need to take points off. Hopefully we can pick some momentum up going into those games.

  • Wheeler superb and a really great finish and my MOM but Mehmeti is so exciting, what a prospect he is.
    Please Gareth stick with that team!!!!
    Ickpeazu gave us mobility as well as strength and that goal for Taf was superb.
    Let’s secure Knight and add a couple of good loanees and we are really in the hunt.

  • Best way to end an abysmal year. What a performance from the team! Uche looked fantastic out there and it was brilliant to see him start. Tafazolli looks like the real deal with his height, strength and the header. Wheeler jumping must be one hell of a scary weight for any defender.

    Onto Brough on Saturday. COYB!

  • The hype on here is glorious to see after 1 win in 11 :)

    Here's to repeating the 2 wins in 2 games we achieved last time round again.

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • Such a key win looking at that table.

    Rotherham have been sucked right down into it. They have 2 games in hand but the covid situation has messed them up a treat and fitting those 2 extra games in won't be fun.

  • It's the difference in performance more than the result.

    Uche is like a new signing, Mehmeti too

  • We still need to win basically every other game, but a couple of streaks would take care of that.

    The ref was great today too, in my book. Didn't really put much of a foot wrong.

  • Regards the ref. Mostly refereed in the National league two years ago and League 2 last season. Made decisions as he saw them and no big team bias, taking no notice of Wilson play acting and sending off the manager. Well played ref.

  • Even when we had what was surely our most comfy game of the season so far - and luxury of a 2-0 goal lead we still saw what this division can be about late on!

    However, The Uchezolli axis as no-one will or should call them made a big difference.

Sign In or Register to comment.