Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Match day thread: Brentford

12346

Comments

  • I imagine Toney still had those “Wycombe are dark arts specialists” messages ringing in his ears from his time at Peterborough, which is why he decided to be Allsop’s goal kick bitch for the last 30 mins.

  • Anyone notice Phil referred to Brentford as 'Peterborough' a couple of times during the commentary?

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • I think that we did look as if we were happy with a point with half an hour to go, which I agree with a crowd there I don’t think we would have done quite so obviously.

    But as @LeedsBlue puts it so beautifully, it was fun to watch the Brentford players rushing to give Allsop the ball so full credit for us standing back and encouraging them

  • I imagined that Grimmer had whispered his rating of Toney's performance yesterday in his ear at the final whistle ...

    1.74

  • @Wendoverman Blunt Phil said that Thomas Frank was angry about there only being 4 minutes injury time. No idea what the Gimmer/Toney spat was about.

  • I know Gape wasn't fully back in the groove yesterday, but he is so good positionally in thaty deep-lying role, protecting the defence. Let's hope that as he gets back to full fitness we can see the team burgeon and build on that solid defensive platform.

  • A passing mention for the ref as I've not seen one anywhere else: I think that if all games were reffed that way, I'd be happy and the game would be a better spectacle. He didn't buy every tumble (on both teams) and was calm and consistent. All the bookings, including the deserved one for dissent, were justified. More like that, please.

    👍 👎 ( 2 )
  • @HCblue said:
    A passing mention for the ref as I've not seen one anywhere else: I think that if all games were reffed that way, I'd be happy and the game would be a better spectacle. He didn't buy every tumble (on both teams) and was calm and consistent. All the bookings, including the deserved one for dissent, were justified. More like that, please.

    Though, looking at the bbc report, it suggests the Brentford player who rugby tackled whoever it was that made that lateish break (where advantage was played) was not subsequently booked, which I have a hard time believing!

  • Amazing the difference having a highly experienced Premier League ref makes!

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • @bookertease said:
    I think that we did look as if we were happy with a point with half an hour to go, which I agree with a crowd there I don’t think we would have done quite so obviously.

    But as @LeedsBlue puts it so beautifully, it was fun to watch the Brentford players rushing to give Allsop the ball so full credit for us standing back and encouraging them

    Can’t agree with you there, I thought we were the team pushing for a late winner and that was reflected in the attacking subs like Fred and Alex. If we’d have been hanging on for a point we would surely have used more defensive subs.

  • The but at the end seemed to start just before the final whistle with Grimmer seeming to indicate that Toney had elbowed him,Toney took exception and it carried on afterwards.

    As always with these things I was delighted to see all of our lot pile over to get involved if needed. Shows real togetherness and team spirit. "One in all in"

  • @chairboyscentral said:
    Amazing the difference having a highly experienced Premier League ref makes!

    Agree what a pleasant difference that made!

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • @glasshalffull said:

    @bookertease said:
    I think that we did look as if we were happy with a point with half an hour to go, which I agree with a crowd there I don’t think we would have done quite so obviously.

    But as @LeedsBlue puts it so beautifully, it was fun to watch the Brentford players rushing to give Allsop the ball so full credit for us standing back and encouraging them

    Can’t agree with you there, I thought we were the team pushing for a late winner and that was reflected in the attacking subs like Fred and Alex. If we’d have been hanging on for a point we would surely have used more defensive subs.

    To be fair I agree we were the team pushing for the winner and the subs were positive. Which it’s why I found it strange that we were letting their players hurry to get the ball back to us.

    Unless we found it as funny as I did and were realising that it was probably winding them up, in which case it was genius on our part.

    (As an aside did we actually have any defensive subs we could have used?)

  • McCarthy was on the bench and Adeniran can play as a defensive midfielder.

  • Mostly agree about the ref, but definitely should have been a booking for the rugby tackle, and I need someone who knows things to explain to me why a sliding tackle from behind on Horgan wasn’t a straight red.

  • @drcongo said:
    Mostly agree about the ref, but definitely should have been a booking for the rugby tackle, and I need someone who knows things to explain to me why a sliding tackle from behind on Horgan wasn’t a straight red.

    Lee Mason was the best referee we’ve had so far, but I agree about that cynical tackle deserving harsher punishment.

  • The guy who was shown a yellow for the tackle on Horgan made no attempt to play the ball, just to kick Horgan. For me that was arguably a red card. Why the other guy on the edge of the box wasn't shown a yellow, when the play stopped, I don't know. The ref played an advantage as we still had possession and then seemed to ignore the fact the guy dragged Horgan over.

  • I think it was mentioned on commentary that the cynical and deliberate trip on Horgan somehow didn't deserve the same punishment as Samuel's challenge on the keeper. As an older supporter I'd say the later didn't deserve a yellow but the former did. Don't see a red for it though.

    Would be interested to hear from younger fans who are more used to the current rules. I noticed yesterday Brentford trying to fire balls on to defenders hands rather than pick a pass to a team mate. Is that what football is becoming?

  • @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Would be interested to hear from younger fans who are more used to the current rules. I noticed yesterday Brentford trying to fire balls on to defenders hands rather than pick a pass to a team mate. Is that what football is becoming?

    As I understand it, a tackle through the back of someone is a straight red and has been for years. But yeah, I noticed the attempts to kick the ball at a defender’s arm. Modern football really is shit.

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • The "Pep" tactic of getting your players to rotate cynical fouls well up the pitch to disrupt play is very annoying, but that was something else yesterday.

    That sort of dangerous cynical foul with zero intention on the ball should definitely be upgraded to a red. The risk would then stop players doing it, or they'd risk massively screwing their own team up. Simple as that.

  • It's only a red if it uses excessive force (I don't think it did) or endangers the safety of an opponent (debatable, but you rarely see reds given for those clips from behind - Bean's on Watmore was far worse and he only got a yellow).

  • That's why I said it "should" be "upgraded" to a red. We all know you get away with those at the moment unless it's last man.

    Bean went for the ball on Watmore. Missed it yes but he did go for the ball. This guy didn't even pretend to.

  • "Bean went for the ball"

    Sure he did

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I think it was just pure frustration from a side who thought just turning up would get them the win. Has Ivan Toney ever had a great game against us? I've not seen one live.

    Another good performance yesterday. Apart from one great save from Allsop Brentford showed little of their pre game billing as being in a false position. Good that Gape got some game time and will benefit for it. Thompson covered his shortcomings whilst he gets up to speed.

    Still worth saying I am missing not going to games and I really think they suffer for not having crowds. Yesterday felt at times like a pre season match without the level of intensity that a crowd would create and to some degree demand. I think we would have won with a crowd yesterday

    Reckon we would have had a near capacity crowd yesterday and for the whole of the last 10 minutes "Chairboys" "Barmy Army" would have rung round the ground.
    I am sure the team knows that the ArmChairboys Army are giving every encouragement at home but the atmosphere does make a difference not just to intensity but also to focus and to confidence: Scott Kashket for instance might have less time to argue with the referee if he was listening to us singing his song.
    Credit to the team and Gareth for how well we are playing in almost empty stadia.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Beany definitely didn't go for the ball 😂

  • @Malone said:
    That's why I said it "should" be "upgraded" to a red. We all know you get away with those at the moment unless it's last man.

    Bean went for the ball on Watmore. Missed it yes but he did go for the ball. This guy didn't even pretend to.

    he can only go by the rule book....he made the right decision based on the law

  • As @glasshalffull and/or @bluntphil mentioned in the commentary, it seemed ludicrous that the foul on Horgan warranted only the same punishment as Stewart's relatively innocuous foul earlier in the game. That aside, decent refereeing performance.

  • It was super annoying as it was probably the one time we'd actually got the ball under control with a very promising opportunity.

    Most of our game plan is power play aerial stuff or hoping Kashket gets onto a long ball.

  • Have to add to the plaudits for Lee Mason. It definitely adds to the pleasure for me when all players falling over doesn t mean a foul & yellow card.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
Sign In or Register to comment.