Skip to content

Match day thread: Swansea

Comments

• On the replay there was no barge, barely brushed him.

• @drcongo said:
    Starting to wonder if we’ve got COVID problems with players disappearing.

Hope Darius didn’t test positive at half-time. Poor old Phil got abandoned there.

• Definitely a foul though.

People keep saying we need to "learn" about this division. Getting cuter in moments like that has to be high up the learning list.

• In other news it's Derby 0 Blackburn 3. That thumping last week doesn't look quite so bad!

• @Last_Quarter said:
    In other news it's Derby 0 Blackburn 3. That thumping last week doesn't look quite so bad!

Exactly. Warned my Derby supporting colleagues. Bearing in mind we should have got at least a point against Rotherham, perhaps we’ve been done by two very good sides.

All will be clearer after 10 games.

• Derby already 3-0 down against Blackburn, who someone mentioned were very average.

• Sorry, bit late to the party on this one.

• @TheOldMan said:
    Strange - I’m only getting the option for an audio match pass on ‘Next Match’. Am an ST but did not get an email from the club for this one - any more ideas? Thx.

You need to check what email address the club has for you then. Email [email protected] to find out

• I was out and about and looked at my phone and WWFC website clicked one button and I was onto the live game. I am a ST holder.

• Can only imagine what the Derby and Forest supporters are thinking now. Sure they'll pick up a bit but let's hope we can get the first goal and first win whilst other teams are still not too far away.

• Today we have the crumb of comfort that Swansea will undoubtedly be one of the best teams in the league.
    If we produce so little in the next few games I think we'll all be very worried.

• Swansea were simply a much better team with multi-million pound players, some of home could play in the Prem.

Only side of our performance I felt we need to improve quickly is how ponderous we look with the ball. Many times Rocky would quickly get the ball moving, only for our midfield to slowly move from side to side, before turning round and knocking it back. Also, I can't seem the figure out what our attacking plan is, without Bayo/ Ikpeazu there doesn't appear to be a way that we'll score.

• One observation about today. Swansea were taking the short goal kicks that have become popular, but at times their keeper took an absolute age, even by Allsop standards! Yet not a word from the referee and only the bare minimum injury time. Seems if you're looking to pass you're way out of defence, you can take as long as you want?

• Whereas we don't seem to be doing as much of our customary slowing the play down. A conscious decision? Or slight panic at the start we've had?

• @TheComebackKid said:
    More crap. Will we get a point by xmas??????

No one cares what you think.

• Not sure @Malone but even at 2 down we didn't rush anything. It was strange watching the Swansea keeper though. If Allsop took as long over goal kicks whilst defending a lead he'd quite rightly be booked, yet he seemed to get leeway purely because he was looking to go short. I mean it made no difference today, but it will be interesting to keep an eye on it through the season. Perhaps it's an acceptable form of time wasting?

• @glasshalffull said:

No one cares what you think.

Hear, hear.

• I’m not getting downhearted at all. Our first away game in the Championship we lost 5-0 but it could have been 15-0. When we got promoted to League One our first away game was at Doncaster. We got murdered & a 3-0 defeat could easily have been 13-0.
    At least if the problems can be ironed out at the start of the season it gives us a 43 game season to get the necessary points. The problem comes with a deceptively good start that sees a slump in January & February. That is really hard to get out of.

From what I’ve seen both Blackburn & Swansea will be in the top six at the end of the season. We deserved a point against Rotherham & I think that’s the key.

• @trevor said:

@thecatwwfc said:
    Bloody Adrian Durham on Talksport. Just said that an unnamed manager told him the other day "it isnt an impossibility that Wycombe could lose every game this season"

Another record broken lol

Mega lol

• @floyd said:
    Does anyone know what the patches underneath the Championship badges say?

"Not today or any day" a reference to racism.

• Thanks @NorsQuarters. Very good.

• edited September 2020

@A_Worboys said:
    I’m not getting downhearted at all. Our first away game in the Championship we lost 5-0 but it could have been 15-0. When we got promoted to League One our first away game was at Doncaster. We got murdered & a 3-0 defeat could easily have been 13-0.
    At least if the problems can be ironed out at the start of the season it gives us a 43 game season to get the necessary points. The problem comes with a deceptively good start that sees a slump in January & February. That is really hard to get out of.

From what I’ve seen both Blackburn & Swansea will be in the top six at the end of the season. We deserved a point against Rotherham & I think that’s the key.

Take your point, but I was at Doncaster away, and I don't recall it being anything like a slaughter.
    My recollection is we were well in the game until just after half time, and they scored a couple of late goals to take it 3-0. It was a shocker to be competing so well for so long and still come away with a comfortable defeat.

Whereas Blackburn away we were very lucky to get away in single figures, and we barely competed at all.

My worry is that we traditionally do have a slump around Christmas, so if we're starting like this, it means we have to be red hot for a decent period of time to get what probably will need 50+ points to stay up.

Still, Luton of all teams provide inspiration, as they looked doomed last year.

• I’d be happy if we could have 7 or 8 points on the board by the 10 game mark. This was always going to be a season where we take a while to get used to the higher levels and the better teams at this level will find us out early on. As they did when we went up to League 1. My memories of the Doncaster away game (other than Bayo missing from 1 yard out when it was 0-0) was that we looked okay when we had the ball but as soon as they did they looked like they could rip through us at will,

We will get more competitive. And I think by the time we get into the New Year as long as we aren’t too far adrift we should have a fighting chance of staying up.

The other thing to take into account is whether there will be a full 46 game season. Even if they do establish emergency loans/funding to keep clubs going I could easily see all football outside the Premier being suspended again once the infection rates get sky high (as they invariably will)

• @Malone said:

Take your point, but I was at Doncaster away, and I don't recall it being anything like a slaughter.
    My recollection is we were well in the game until just after half time, and they scored a couple of late goals to take it 3-0. It was a shocker to be competing so well for so long and still come away with a comfortable defeat.

Whereas Blackburn away we were very lucky to get away in single figures, and we barely competed at all.

My worry is that we traditionally do have a slump around Christmas, so if we're starting like this, it means we have to be red hot for a decent period of time to get what probably will need 50+ points to stay up.

Still, Luton of all teams provide inspiration, as they looked doomed last year.

Talking of Luton, I remember they got thrashed 7-0 in one game early on last season and still survived. It’s much too soon to get downhearted.

• I'm not downhearted at.

• And as already mentioned, Wayne Rooney’s Derby County got four smacked past them at home by Blackburn, which puts things into context.

That’s a club reported by the Derby Telegraph to have a £46m a year wage bill.

• edited September 2020

My view is this: we were always going to get relegated this season. What does it matter if we do so with 5 points or with 35? Let's just enjoy the football on our computers, hope for three points, not get get too disheartened when we go behind after 15 minutes, and see what combination opens up a goal-scoring opportunity or, wonders of wonders, a possibility of getting some points.

The only other option is to spend some significant money correcting the weaknesses in the squad, some of the c.£9m coming in this season, allowing us to compete in the Championship. But our owners have already said that won't be the case, so let's just accept relegation and enjoy the ride.

• I know you’re trying to be realistic, but I think you’ve gone too far in stating that we ‘were always going to get relegated ‘. That is not what the manager and players think and it’s not what many of us fans think. The odds are certainly stacked against us surviving, but it is by no means a forgone conclusion.

• Agreed...we will celebrate our first goal, our first point and our first win...starting Saturday at Luton.