Skip to content

Match day thread: Swansea

Comments

• alsop have been superb

• edited September 2020

That unfortunately isn't that a far fetched as it should be with a couple of key injuries, I'm seriously worried now

• Ironic that Rocky the player plenty wanted shot of in close season gets a load of plaudits from commentators despite having conceded 8 in three games! Horgan the only goal danger we have it at the moment it seems. Too slow to second balls. Its not nice to watch but long way to go.

• Really encouraged by the improvements, not just from last week to this, but from the first half to the second. I thought Dennis had a promising debut, and I’m intrigued by the idea of Parker in midfield.

• I feel robbed - I could not get the US stream up until we were 2-0 down. As far as I am concerned, we drew 0-0!!!

• Really buoyed by our 2nd half. Much better performance today. Both debutants looked good. No positives last week, but definitely some today. Chances will come as we strengthen and suspended and injured players return.

• Not a bad second half against strong opposition. Horgan continues to impress, and Adeniran looks good considering he's only been at the club for two days.

• Much better second half. Signs of life. I think we’ll get there. Gape back next game, Beast will still be a handful, good to see Curtis Thompson back in the squad.

Bit of patience required.

• Signs of life second half, Swansea are a very good side. Samuel worked hard and played off scraps, Parker looked bright again when he came on. The Bloomfield debate will no doubt rumble on, sadly he looked some way off the pace to me. McCarthy never looked comfortable in that role, Stewart the stand out performer once again.

• @trevor said:

@thecatwwfc said:
    Bloody Adrian Durham on Talksport. Just said that an unnamed manager told him the other day "it isnt an impossibility that Wycombe could lose every game this season"

Another record broken lol

More like a broken record.

• Hard to know how well we played second half as Swansea really took their foot off the gas, but on the face of it that was a positive 45 minutes. Really impressed with Adeniran - he had some lovely touches and could become a key player for us.

Luton away next week is massive. We need to get something on the board soon.

• Aderinan had a good debut, I thought Samuel held the ball up well and Rocky played well. Overall we grew into the game and seemed to find our feet a little.

We’re going to have to tighten up and stylus in games to give ourselves a chance to throw the kitchen sink at teams for ten minutes at the end. Unlikely that we are going to get anything from games where we concede inside the first 20 mins.

• @Shev said:
    I feel robbed - I could not get the US stream up until we were 2-0 down. As far as I am concerned, we drew 0-0!!!

Lucky man

• More crap. Will we get a point by xmas??????

• First half disturbing; second half very encouraging. Allsop had a really good game and it was good to see Freeman acquitting himself very well in the second half. Swansea may be top of the table with 9 points and three clean sheets but their defence looked a bit shaky at times in the second half. We’re on an upward trajectory.

• I thought dennis started slowly (maybe expected) and grew into the game. Like the team he was better in the 2nd half, maybe Swansea took their foot of the gas but when we dont rush it forward and try and keep the ball a little we look a much better team.

I'd like to see Dennis get on the ball more and dictate the play, hopefully this will come in time, he will need to work on tracking runners as a couple of times he switched off. Decent enough debut.

I did fear for another hiding when they went 2 up but credit to the lads for digging in.

• I think we showed Swansea too much respect in the first half, stood off too much and most certainly allowed too much space on our left. That allowed them to pull us out of shape and play around us.

Second half we improved vastly, even if they eased up a bit, we passed better, held the ball better and created some chances.

Allsop was the stand out player for us, but I thought Samuel played well, as did Wheels, Tools, Adeniran and Horgan when he came on. There are positives to build on and a few things we hopefully wont do again (McCarthey at LB for one).

Lets hope over the next week or so we can find a decent back up for JJ, another midfielder and perhaps one more striking option.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Bloody Adrian Durham on Talksport. Just said that an unnamed manager told him the other day "it isnt an impossibility that Wycombe could lose every game this season"

Quite correct. It also isn’t an impossibility that one of us, Notts Forest, Barnsley and Derby could lose every game this season.

Just highly unlikely.

• edited September 2020

Another game where the result was done very early on.
    Better in the second half, but you'd need an absolutely outrageously optimistic view on life to think we threatened them even in the slightest.

Wheeler winning a couple of knockons, and Bloomfield maybe producing a better cross from one, were the only highlights really.

Perhaps if we do need a positive to work off, it's that Swansea ARE legitimately one of the best teams in this league.

Only 3 games in, early doors etc, Gape/Uche/Bayo out etc, all very true, but I'm definitely nervous.

It's essential we get something from Luton next week, as otherwise stewing on 4 losses with a 2 week break will be horrible.

• @Wendoverman will be happy with the last of that trio of clubs but not the first one (especially not the Notts!)

• Should have had a penalty from that corner the ref asked to be taken again.

• The unnamed manager is a bloody buffoon, not Adrian Durham, whoever he may be.

• Rocky, Stewart, Freeman and Samuel were decent... fred got into some promising positions and seemed incapable of playing easy 5yard passes....

• Better second half, Adeniran was a positive, so was Freeman. Horgan has to start

The first half only confirmed to me that this is a step too far for Bloomfield, he shouldn't be getting near theb pitch for the rest of the season once we sign another one or two and have Gape/ Thompson fit

Wheeler and Fred had an off day first half, but I think they can offer something at this standard. Samuel did what we know he can, but I really hope Uche is fit soonm

• @Malone Horgan overhead kick a bit pedestrian for ye?? I assume richemu will have re-joined by the time of the Luton game. I think I'm going to do what @trevor did when we were winning and avoid the game threads for a while. Among the considered evaluations of the game, I find the gleeful one line 'everything was shit' posts too depressing!

• Agree with your selection there @bigred87. I think the two unnecessary fouls Fred committed early on may have affected him and I’m guessing GA wants him to power forward when he gets the ball. So he tends to be under challenge when he eventually needs to pass the ball. I like the way he spends more time centrally now. He is capable of doing a lot of damage there.

• Starting to wonder if we’ve got COVID problems with players disappearing.

• Some of the 'not getting stuck in' could be due to the early booking for Fred, which looked really soft.
    Is there anybody that can explain why the referee gave a retaken corner rather than a penalty for the push on Wheeler? There was a consensus that the ball was in play when the referee blew up.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @Malone Horgan overhead kick a bit pedestrian for ye?? I assume richemu will have re-joined by the time of the Luton game. I think I'm going to do what @trevor did when we were winning and avoid the game threads for a while. Among the considered evaluations of the game, I find the gleeful one line 'everything was shit' posts too depressing!

Lovely technique, but dead centre, and never going in unfortunately.

• @micra said:
    Agree with your selection there @bigred87. I think the two unnecessary fouls Fred committed early on may have affected him and I’m guessing GA wants him to power forward when he gets the ball. So he tends to be under challenge when he eventually needs to pass the ball. I like the way he spends more time centrally now. He is capable of doing a lot of damage there.

Fred gave a lot of strange fouls away today. Barging their man as he was straining to stop a ball going out for a corner was the oddest. It was still massively likely to go out for one, but at worst goes for a throw or gives Fred the chance to get back on the ball right up in their half.