Skip to content

3 signings today

Comments

• @TwinBrother said:
    So potentially more to come? Kamaran?

Unlikely. First tweet this morning said it’s a triple signing day.

• Anyone have any idea into what shirt number Phillip's and Anderson will have?

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    Horgan and Tafazolli both seem like model pros and seem very much in the Gaz / Dobbo mould.

Welcome to all 3! What a great day!

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what makes you say they seem like model pros?

• I had a look through their social media feeds and a few fans forum comments. The overwhelming impression I got was of players committed to their team mates and clubs even when out of the team.

I’m sure @chairboyscentral will give us the lowdown soon!

• @eric_plant Hibs social media describing Horgan as exactly that, is encouraging - but of course, unsurprising given what Dobbo said in that marvellous interview over the summer.

On the basis of what we know about the selection process used by our management team, you'd expect all our new signings to be model pros, wouldn't you?

• Have we ever bought a player off a former FA Cup finalist before?

• Preston?

• @drcongo Hull, 2014 - lost to Arsenal (and only narrowly) two weeks after we stayed up at Torquay

• Millwall

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Have we ever bought a player off a former FA Cup finalist before?

Rather a lot I would say

@drcongo Hull, 2014 - lost to Arsenal (and only narrowly) two weeks after we stayed up at Torquay

No, he's suggesting we have signed a player from Preston

@JohnBoy said:

Curtis Anderson in. Guess that means no Stockdale.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but one year suggests more of a B team/overlap signing? I don't doubt he has potential, but 19 is still extremely young for a 'keeper!

It is young @chairboyscentral but he’ll be twenty in a couple of weeks and Aaron Ramsdale was superb for AFC Wimbledon last season (and probably also for Chesterfield the season before). He is 22 now and is with Sheffield United of course.

• Just about my first footballing memory was a Amateur cup game against Skelmersdale back in early 70s. They were gods compared to our journeymen and cruised to a 3-0 win. A young lad faced reality and the inevitability of disappointment perhaps for the first time.

In the last 24 hours while WWFC sign players Hibernian wish to keep, Skelmersdale struggled to a 3-2 win the Extra Preliminary qualifying Round of the FA cup . Their pre-season game against WWFC was in fact against Winstanley Warriors not the now mighty Wycombe.

Its been an extraordinary ride. How far can it go?

• Fulham
    Chelsea
    West Brom
    Southampton
    Charlton
    Wimbledon
    Watford
    Brighton
    Derby
    Arsenal
    Birmingham City
    Notts County
    Bradford City

...off the top of my head

Many more I reckon

• Low mid-table Championship?

• Ipswich of course

• Have we ever signed a player from a former Scottish FA Cup finalist?

• @eric_plant said:
    Fulham
    Chelsea
    West Brom
    Southampton
    Charlton
    Wimbledon
    Watford
    Brighton
    Derby
    Arsenal
    Birmingham City
    Notts County
    Bradford City

...off the top of my head

Many more I reckon

I meant specifically paid a fee for, but yeah there are probably quite a few even of those. My bad!

We signed Neil Price a year after he appeared for Watford in the FA Cup Final.

Last week wasn't it?

• @thedieharder said:
    Anyone have any idea into what shirt number Phillip's and Anderson will have?

I have taken it that anyone who did not have a squad number announced would be B team. Not sure how accurate that is, though.

• @peterparrotface said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Last week wasn't it?

?‍♂️ I've had a mare here

• Question - if today’s signings complete the first team business for this close season, are we happy with the squad as it stands? My answer would be “Yes”.

• I think we are doing ok so far but the loans we get in will be vital to our season.

• Not yet - still need another first team 'keeper, a back-up left-back and at least one midfielder.

• And we'll probably get even more than that as the first team squad is currently only 20 players.

• Am I reading this right? Looks like Curtis Anderson has played more than five games for his (second division) American team and I believe that league is professional. As such looks to me that he is a "professional goalkeeper" under EFL rules and hence we could not sign a GK on loan outside of window if Allsopp got injured?

• Four signings for the first team with 2 for the B team so far. Reasonable business to date. I know the window has still some weeks to go but I hope we get some more before the season actually starts. We don’t want to be in catch up mode if we have a poor start. First team squad is still light in numbers . I agree with @chairboyscentral that we need a left back but with with pace. Like to see some creative midfielders and I know I will be ‘ shot down’ but I think we need another centre forward.

• @davecz Wouldn't be surprised to see a striker come in on loan if one of the right profile is available

• I think signing Anderson makes it more likely we'll sign Stockdale. We really need to have two legitimate first-team keepers (which Anderson isn't yet) at this level, and neither he nor the club seem to be looking at other options.

We feel like we'll sign one more for midfield and then see what the loan market offers.