Skip to content

League Two play-offs

13»

Comments

• Forgot what I'd said and thought you were on about another Lionel for a second. In fact, that Lionel already has a Wycombe connection...

• Don't know why they waited until 118 minutes to put Paris on! Thought they would have brought him on as soon as they conceded in extra time to at least give him a good 8-10 minutes and have some chance to make an impact. He only got 2 mins in the 1st leg too...

• It's strange PCH is trusted so little at L2 level, when he played decently in L1 with us.

• @Chris said:
    While I agree in principle with what you are saying, I think I’d rather have Dean Morgan (the age he was when he played for us) than Alex Samuel.

You deserve a lifetime ban for this comment

• @Shev said:
    It's strange PCH is trusted so little at L2 level, when he played decently in L1 with us.

I'm told by a Col U supporting colleague...that PCH has had a lot of injury problems.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Shev said:
    It's strange PCH is trusted so little at L2 level, when he played decently in L1 with us.

I'm told by a Col U supporting colleague...that PCH has had a lot of injury problems.

I was watching when PCH came on in the first leg and the commentary team mentioned it was his first appearance since September. Might explain his late arrival in both legs.
    I liked Paris but his injury record is a big issue

• Direct football ruling this final ?

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Direct football ruling this final ?

I’ve watched all 5 playoff games and it’s really struck me how much of a quality and fitness gap there is versus league 1. I never noticed it when we were in league 2.

Randell Williams has impressed me though.

• One of the few bright sparks. They've just hit self-destruct now.

• Sparkes plays for Exeter

• Would love to see Randell Williams back here. However, I think he will end up somewhere like Sunderland or Ipswich or even a lower Championship side. Perhaps even back to Watford, who will lose most of their players and have to rebuild in the Championship.

• It is interesting - I agree on the gap between L1 and L2 (per @Jonny above), but then L2 promoted sides almost always stay up easily. I feel as though Tranmere were the first side to go straight back down in many years.

• edited June 2020

The curse of the red and white stripes strikes again. Red and white striped teams in play-off finals: P17 W14 L3 (although one was between two teams who have those as home colours).

• @Jonny said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Direct football ruling this final ?

I’ve watched all 5 playoff games and it’s really struck me how much of a quality and fitness gap there is versus league 1. I never noticed it when we were in league 2.

Randell Williams has impressed me though.

Quality for certain.
    Not sure on the fitness for sure, especially not off the unusual circumstance on these games.

A Rovers fan at work described the quality situation as there not being any crap teams in league 1, whereas in league 2 there's plenty. Seemed a decent summary - although Southend did their best to disprove this year.

• Northampton lost 13/37 games and still went up.

• Wonder if we could pick Morton up if we went up, or even if we stay in League 1, seems a real Ainsworth type player. As tenacious as Samuel but can scores goals as well.

• Very similar player to Samuel isn't he. He missed some absolute sitters in the 2 matches I've seen him play and yet ended up with 3 goals. Has that nice knack of being in the right place at the right time to score scrappy goals.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    The curse of the red and white stripes strikes again. Red and white striped teams in play-off finals: P17 W14 L3 (although one was between two teams who have those as home colours).

Not much of a curse winning 14 out of 17!!! Presumably your stat should be won 3 lost 14 or else I’ll be advocating a one off strip change to red & white stripes if we make the final!!

• @Shev said:
    It is interesting - I agree on the gap between L1 and L2 (per @Jonny above), but then L2 promoted sides almost always stay up easily. I feel as though Tranmere were the first side to go straight back down in many years.

If memory serves, the last team was in fact us.

• edited June 2020

@Dickie said:

@chairboyscentral said:

Not much of a curse winning 14 out of 17!!! Presumably your stat should be won 3 lost 14 or else I’ll be advocating a one off strip change to red & white stripes if we make the final!!

Oh ffs, yes - other way round.

• Williams, Morton, Fred

Dare to dream...

• Bristol City and Swansea both rumoured to be looking at Williams