Skip to content

League Two play-offs

Comments

• @Forest_Blue said:
    And well done Alan Parry for name checking Michael Harriman as “the former Wycombe player”.

Three Cheers for Alan Parry! hip hip..

• If Ramirez doesn't win player of the tournament..

• Great performance from Northampton last night, and one or two of their players certainly caught the eye. Mr Parry managed another Wanderers mention again last night...well done mate.

• I thought Randell Williams played really well for Exeter last night. I think its a shame we couldn't have signed him after his loan spell. Would have been more effective than Smyth and particularly Aarons.

• Couldn't believe Cheltenham were so poor compared to the first leg; shame, if we do stay in L1, I always enjoy a trip over there.

I did think as soon as Paris came on for ColU that there would be a late, late goal from him.

• edited June 2020

@mooneyman said:
    I thought Randell Williams played really well for Exeter last night. I think its a shame we couldn't have signed him after his loan spell. Would have been more effective than Smyth and particularly Aarons.

Not sure about this. He was a bit in and out for us.

• He's been one of the players of the season in League Two and I'd gladly have him back if we're still in League One next season, but he's not on the same level as Smyth or Aarons (who, despite not fitting in with us, is clearly a quality player).

• Williams looked good in those games, but he wasn't playing against the same calibre of defender that Smyth and Aarons faced up against.

• I am not saying that Williams is as talented as Smyth or Aarons but talent is not everything. Dean Morgan had more ability than say Alec Samuel but we all know who we would rather have playing for us.

In my opinion Williams is physically stronger so better suited to our level, much better in the air and better tracking back to support his full back. Smyth is obviously better with the fancy dan play, a better dribbler and a better crosser. In terms of pace and finishing ability I would put them pretty level.

• While I agree in principle with what you are saying, I think I’d rather have Dean Morgan (the age he was when he played for us) than Alex Samuel.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    He's been one of the players of the season in League Two and I'd gladly have him back if we're still in League One next season, but he's not on the same level as Smyth or Aarons (who, despite not fitting in with us, is clearly a quality player).

I really admire your dogged admiration for Aarons. Everyone needs support like that.

• I'd rather have Harriman back.

• I'd almost rather have Leon Knight back than Dean Morgan. To me they're both at roughly the same level - after you've scraped right through the bottom of the barrel.

• Signing Leon Knight was a pretty big deal when it happened though wasn't it?

• Dean Morgan was by some distance the best player in our side for at least a season. Leon Knight was not.

• I think we've not seen the best of Smyth and I though I liked Randell, I think Smyth is a better League One player. RW did play well last night though...but it is League Two. I came back as an ST holder for the Torquay season...so I only saw the disappointing side of Dean Morgan. I always thought at the start of every game this has to be the one where he turns it around...and it never was. To be honest, great season that we have had on one side, I was disappointed to lose Harriman and PCH.

• Vadaine Oliver would make the perfect replacement for Akinfenwa. Big strong target man. I was pretty disappointed when Harriman left...

• I'm not sure there is any replacing Akinfenwa, he's a one off.

• Wladimir Klitschko would be an interesting replacement!

• @Chris said:
    I'm not sure there is any replacing Akinfenwa, he's a one off.

We are certainly never going to get the unique combo of aerial power and brute strength combined with such good close skill with the ball again! He's basically two players!

• edited June 2020

Once Bayo moves on, I think we'll change the philosophy. No point trying to shoehorn someone into a system tailored to him when no true replacement exists. Lionel Messi is 33 tomorrow and Barça aren't what they were, perfect time for a change of scenery if you ask me...

• @Chris said:
    Dean Morgan was by some distance the best player in our side for at least a season. Leon Knight was not.

This is true. And what a great player he would have been if he hadn't spent 89 minutes of every 90 sulking, standing around in an offside position, shouting at his team mates for not passing to him while he's standing around offside etc.

I believe they have pretty much the same strike rate for us, so for the execrable Leon Knight to be banging them in at the same rate as someone who was "by some distance the best player in our side" says a lot about how much effort Morgan put in.

I'm sure I'm in a minority on here with my views on Morgan, other opinions are available

Lionel Messi is 33 tomorrow and Barça aren't what they were, perfect time for a change of scenery if you ask me...

I wouldn't want to watch that every week.

Once Bayo moves on, I think we'll change the philosophy. No point trying to shoehorn someone into a system tailored to him when no true replacement exists. Lionel Messi is 33 tomorrow and Barça aren't what they were, perfect time for a change of scenery if you ask me...

I agree, and I think people will be very pleasantly surprised at Ainsworth's adaptability once it happens.

We only have to remember how ineffectual our attack was in the few months before we signed Bayo. Knocking it long to Thompson and Hayes.

Gareth responded with intent that summer with a number of attackers. Plus this season's attacking roll call was fabulous. Ok Aarons and Smyth never hit the heights for different reasons, but all those threads about how to fit all our attackers in were great fun.

• Knight was in a league of his own in the repulsive human being stakes. I think he's either left or been kicked off twitter but his regular outpouring of misogyny was utterly depressing.

• Well done Mr Parry...enjoyed your commentary last night on a really good cup tie. Michael Harriman, “played in the Premier League with QPR and 150 games for Wycombe Wanderers”. Equal billing in the young man’s career...surely? I thought Harriman’s aggression was brilliant and led to one of the goals...I would have him back as a wing back.

• We were sad for Paris last night. Came in with two minutes of extra time to play, needs a goal to equalize the tie... chance fell to him on the edge of the box, went inside not outside and had his shot blocked.

• Randell Williams was the playmaker and looked more at home last night than I remember he did for us. Has great pace too.

• edited June 2020

@chairboyscentral said:

What Lionel holding off three defenders as JJ pings a ball at his bonce? Worth an increased season ticket in my book...! It will be intriguing to see what Gareth comes up with with my waived refund money to be sure.